News:

• June 17, 2024, 01:03:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: muffler is more quiet, tongue or expansion type?  (Read 2600 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
muffler is more quiet, tongue or expansion type?
« on: July 11, 2015, 05:58:24 PM »
    Hi All:

As of today, I am looking for the more quiet muffler.  Yes, the cops arrived!!!

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: muffler is more quiet, tongue or expansion type?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 06:59:31 PM »
Stock tube mufflers are always the quietest...and heaviest. Some may be made to work with older non-muffled engines. For the older engines, your best bet may be the Big Art style tube mufflers, If still too noisy, (very likely) put a du-bro or great planes rubber tip on the end, that'll bring it down another notch. I see electricity in your future (unfortunately). 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 08:52:49 PM »
Yup.  Stock mufflers are there to make an engine quiet.  Tongue mufflers are there so you can point and say "see officer, I have a muffler!"
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 01:36:58 PM »
I love those stock OS "LA" mufflers! Yes, they are heavy enough to anchor small boats, but they make any engine they'll bolt onto almost as quiet as an electric. Actually, I've heard electrics with bad bearings that probably made as much or more noise! Impressively annoying!

Zoning laws are an important factor in flying site noise issues, so read up and know what the site is zoned for and what the noise regulation is. You might suggest nicely that the dB you are making is legal and request that the city or county bring their dB meter down and do a sound test. You'll want to know what distance they are required to have the dB meter from your noisy device, and make sure they comply. One of our club members bought a dB meter from Radio Shack, had it calibrated, and did some sound checks for us. This, because it didn't seem that the city owned one. Our site was between a 6 lane freeway and a 2 lane state highway, and yet there was one grump that didn't like our noise. IIRC, the RS meter wasn't over $100 and was actually a decent unit. No idea what is going on with RS or if you could get one from them now.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 08:12:47 PM »

As of today, I am looking for the more quiet muffler.  Yes, the cops arrived!!!

Tube mufflers are generally much quieter. The mufflers that come with most engines is very effective and many times the performance is better, overall, than open exhaust. The weight is irrelevant if it runs well.

It's almost cliche' now to see people open the box and toss half the parts in the garbage, and the muffler is the prime candidate.

Older engines (McCoy, and many others) won't run well with a muffler. The Fox 35 will run sort of OK with a very low restriction muffler but it also won't be doing much muffling. If you need a quiet run, I don't think there is a good solution.

Brett

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 04:12:38 PM »
Brett,

I'm just curious; Is this "old engines won't run well with a muffler" thing similar to "diesels won't run well with a muffler" that we also hear so often?
Of course, it can be a mechanical problem too, mounting the muffler in an old engine without distorting its fits can be difficult.
If simple expansion mufflers  cause problems as they restrict gas- and heat flow, it may be worth checking the recent development work done in class F2C (diesel).
They (mainly Robbie Metkemeijer & co.) have another aproach, a minipipe that delivers desired effect (positive pulse, neutral or negative pulse, whatever the engine likes). Unwanted frequencies are then filtered with side resonant chambers, kind of Helmholz resonators.
At best they have no effect on engine run and they are very simple to make, much simpler than my explanation.
It just requires some understanding of acoustics.
The difficult part with old engines with their inefficiensies may be to determine the spectrum that comes out of exhaust port.
Enclosed is a scetch of our .77 muffler. It is quite neutral in 6800...7000rpm range.

Lauri

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 04:53:22 PM »
Lauri:

I wish I could interpret that drawing.  Could you post a picture of the muffler itself as a visual aid?  I'm assuming that the engine's exhaust somehow connects to that inner tube, but that's as far as I get.

And there's way too many numbers on there for "simple"!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 11:33:56 PM »
Oh sorry, the 2nd picture is not supposed to be there. But it shows Robbies calculations.
I'll try to find better ones. L

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 04:05:02 AM »
Here are some pics.
Mine are a little more complex because of the added expansion chambers.
But I will try to find a link to the original F2C article.
L

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 05:19:39 AM »
Depends on the size of the expansion chamber, I am betting if the volumes of both types are the same the differences will be too - I would like to see at least 6X the engine swept capacity acting as the expansion volume.

In regards to a diesel, they naturally need less muffling for a given capacity because the rapid onset ignition allows the rest of the power stroke to act as a natural expansion volume in its own right - same with a four stroke.

How does one class Randy's header type mufflers? Multiple diffuser holes and a constant diameter are features of a normal tongue muffler  and yet it is an expansion chamber as well.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 05:36:44 AM by Chris Wilson »
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Akihiro Danjo

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 06:19:24 AM »
Here are some pics.
Mine are a little more complex because of the added expansion chambers.
L

Lauri san,
Yours is not a muffler but a jewel  ;)

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 08:58:05 AM »
Oh thank you Akihiro. Quite often my stuff is more complex than necessary.
There is lots of interesting stuff about mufflers at Henning's website www.f2d.dk
Robbies report can be found in the  bottom of page about F2D noise reduction.

L

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here