News:

• April 16, 2024, 04:26:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enya 29 - 5224  (Read 4667 times)

Offline Colin McRae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
Enya 29 - 5224
« on: May 08, 2023, 11:10:14 AM »
I picked up a stock Enya 29 - 5224 (round venturi version) awhile back since it was at such a good price. It must have had very few hours as the compression is excellent.

I run a few 25 and 40 size OS LA's and FP's that always run great. But no experience w/ the Enya brand. Not sure how many hours are on the engine so I will be conservative and do a good break-in on my test stand.

Was just curious on experience with the Enya 29-5224 and how it runs (I guess compared to the OS's). I was thinking of trying it out on a Goldberg profile Shoestring that I have. I was previously running a McCoy 35 on the Shoestring.

And any good guidelines for best operation would be appreciated.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Enya 29 - 5224
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 02:57:14 PM »
If it's an iron/steel piston/liner combo, the having good compression just means it was an Enya that was broken in correctly and never abused.  AFAIK they last forever (I have three Enya 19s that I bought on eBay from various sellers, and they all have good compression).

The only thing I know past that is that you should use enough oil, and at least half of it castor.  For stunt I'd go with 25% all castor.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 04:13:33 PM »
Thanks Tim

The Enya 29-IV (5224) does have a CI piston and steel liner. I have an Enya 'Owner's Instructions' and it says 20% oil. I have some Brodak 23% oil (1/2 castor-1/2 syn) fuel that I run on some other engines that should be OK based on the instructions. But I can also add a bit of castor to get the total oil up to 25%. Are you suggesting that this is the way to go for this particular engine?

I also saw a past post from Randy Smith where he mentions 23% oil (1/2 castor) is OK for the Enya 29-5224.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 04:47:04 PM by Colin McRae »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 05:56:54 PM »
Thanks Tim

The Enya 29-IV (5224) does have a CI piston and steel liner. I have an Enya 'Owner's Instructions' and it says 20% oil. I have some Brodak 23% oil (1/2 castor-1/2 syn) fuel that I run on some other engines that should be OK based on the instructions. But I can also add a bit of castor to get the total oil up to 25%. Are you suggesting that this is the way to go for this particular engine?

I also saw a past post from Randy Smith where he mentions 23% oil (1/2 castor) is OK for the Enya 29-5224.

If Randy says something different from me, go with what he says!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 10:48:59 PM »
The 5224 / 5225 have a HARDENED LINER , unlike the unhardened OS & Fox . So last ten times as long. O.k. four anyway .

Gotta N.i.B. 29 B.B. , to ' evaluate ' . B T/R.  A 29s quite a ' hot ' engine . Std. they have the Hi & Lo speed & stunt heads ,
and three differant bore venturies . Bit of a ' pre muffler ' engine , So a Tube / Big Art ish thing may get a better run , than
the minimalist strap on thing supplied - first generation ? muffler . Many later Enya mufflers have the 28 mm spacing , if its ' drilled ' .

The old ' pinch the fuel tube ' and the ' dont get it to sizzly ' approach , run in 30 % , then 25 . Id stick to 23% after a few hours or more .
maybe 20 C , 3 S .

Id think the 20 % in the day was partly ' the power race ' , and also ' they could sell you another one ' . Particularly with Foxes & OSes .  VD~

BUT your oils alledgedly higher quality these days . First Pressing & things . And not as inclined to ' soot / carbon up ' . So Raceing , it shouldnt lock up
on 20 % C. unless you screw up properly , l  o  n  g   lean  hot broiling cowled sagging ' OOPS ' flight . Old Days , nylon props , youd just ' tip the prop ' on the deck . To stop them .

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 08:35:03 AM »
Thanks to all for the great information. Since I don't know how much time is on the engine I will start over and do a good bench break-in.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 11:39:57 AM »
Colin:
The ENYA 5224 series are excellent engines, both the 29 and 35 (hardly noticeable difference in power).
I have quite a few ENYA engines, including my first, purchased in 1967. It came with three (square) venturis and two different heads.
I flew it in a green box Nobler and it worked best with the low compression head and the smallest venturi.
As mentioned before, they need substantial run-in time.
I ran mine initially on Fox Superfuel but around 25 years ago, I switched to 22% 50/50 10% nitro. Ran much better with minimal carbon buildup. I now run this fuel in all my ENYA two cycle engines.
I do not recommend straight castor or more than 23% total oil.
The glow plugs seem to last forever.

Bob Z.

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 07:36:56 PM »
I picked up a stock Enya 29 - 5224 (round venturi version)......
This took a bit of digging around but I finally found the answer in Bob Allen's Enya compendium. The round venturi 5224 started in 1972 when the 5224-IV (square venturi) was renamed to 5224-IVB. These continued until late '79 when the 29-V was introduced. The main (visible) difference was that the IVB uses 6 head screws instead of 4 like the earlier versions.
Maybe of some interest but back in the heyday of class B team racing (in Australia at least) there were essentially 3 engines of choice. The McCoy 29RR, ETA 29 and the Enya 29.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2023, 08:08:11 PM »

It takes me just an hour or so to break in an Enya Iron P/L engine.

Enya Engines with Iron Piston and Liner (not other types) has a reputation for taking too long  to fully break in, and  that is true If the break-in is done just letting the engine run rich as you normally do with other engines.

Iron Enya engines has very good metallurgy that is hard to wear out and they come with very tight fittings from Factory.  That is why Enya engines are hard to start in the beginning and without proper break in they can  quit when it gets hot. Iron piston gets bigger than the liner when it gets hotter, exactly the opposite of ABC engines. When the piston expands it creates so much friction that the engine quits, but as soon as you flip the prop it is back to normal, and there is absolutely no harm to the engine when this happens (if you use mostly castor oil fuel). 

A special breaking is required so when the engine gets hot the piston will smoothly match with the liner with minimum friction.

I have been getting great results with this break in method that takes just one hour or so on the bench.

First Phase – Thermal Treating
----------------------------------

I do 10 short runs of 1min with the needle set so the engine is breaking to 2 in short bursts, letting the engine totally cool down between runs. Then 8 short runs of 2 min and then 6 of 3min (perhaps the 6x3min is not necessary but I do it anyway)

Second Phase - Unleashing the Power!
--------------------------------------------
3 to 5 runs of 6 minutes with the same needle setting as in Phase 1. Depending on how tight the engine is, it may require more or less runs. In this phase I pinch the fuel line with care, leaning  the mixture to the absolutely highest rpm I can get and keep it there for 10 seconds, release the fuel line, wait for about 25s and repeat the process till the end of the 6 minutes.
It is important to understand that you need to get the engine to the max rpm possible, not just higher rpms, that is key in this process, otherwise it will take a lot more time to break in.
The top rpm will improve significantly in this stage.  We do want the engine to get very hot for the piston to grow, this will cause the P/L  to lose the excess particles to match with each other perfectly.  The engine will end up with strong compression and will start cold or hot very easily.
USE ONLY CASTOR OIL FUEL IN THIS PROCESS!!!  Absolutely no Synthetic oil!

Then go flying and after about 50 flights using all castor fuel, it will be ok to start using Blend Fuel with Synthetic oil because the engine should be running cooler by now with less friction between P/L. I have been using Byron 10/20 with castor added to 23% total oil and after many many flights with this fuel my Enya SS30 is just perfect!

Martin

p.s. do at your own risk!  A friend of mine did 2nd Phase  only from the start and saved a lot of time! Unfortunately he went to RC and died a few year later, so I am not sure what happened with that engine in the long run, but the Enya SS25 worked quite well on  his Ringmaster at Brodaks 2008.
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 09:27:22 AM »
It takes me just an hour or so to break in an Enya Iron P/L engine.

Enya Engines with Iron Piston and Liner (not other types) has a reputation for taking too long  to fully break in, and  that is true If the break-in is done just letting the engine run rich as you normally do with other engines.

Iron Enya engines has very good metallurgy that is hard to wear out and they come with very tight fittings from Factory.  That is why Enya engines are hard to start in the beginning and without proper break in they can  quit when it gets hot. Iron piston gets bigger than the liner when it gets hotter, exactly the opposite of ABC engines. When the piston expands it creates so much friction that the engine quits, but as soon as you flip the prop it is back to normal, and there is absolutely no harm to the engine when this happens (if you use mostly castor oil fuel). 

A special breaking is required so when the engine gets hot the piston will smoothly match with the liner with minimum friction.

I have been getting great results with this break in method that takes just one hour or so on the bench.

First Phase – Thermal Treating
----------------------------------

I do 10 short runs of 1min with the needle set so the engine is breaking to 2 in short bursts, letting the engine totally cool down between runs. Then 8 short runs of 2 min and then 6 of 3min (perhaps the 6x3min is not necessary but I do it anyway)

Second Phase - Unleashing the Power!
--------------------------------------------
3 to 5 runs of 6 minutes with the same needle setting as in Phase 1. Depending on how tight the engine is, it may require more or less runs. In this phase I pinch the fuel line with care, leaning  the mixture to the absolutely highest rpm I can get and keep it there for 10 seconds, release the fuel line, wait for about 25s and repeat the process till the end of the 6 minutes.
It is important to understand that you need to get the engine to the max rpm possible, not just higher rpms, that is key in this process, otherwise it will take a lot more time to break in.
The top rpm will improve significantly in this stage.  We do want the engine to get very hot for the piston to grow, this will cause the P/L  to lose the excess particles to match with each other perfectly.  The engine will end up with strong compression and will start cold or hot very easily.
USE ONLY CASTOR OIL FUEL IN THIS PROCESS!!!  Absolutely no Synthetic oil!

Then go flying and after about 50 flights using all castor fuel, it will be ok to start using Blend Fuel with Synthetic oil because the engine should be running cooler by now with less friction between P/L. I have been using Byron 10/20 with castor added to 23% total oil and after many many flights with this fuel my Enya SS30 is just perfect!

Martin

p.s. do at your own risk!  A friend of mine did 2nd Phase  only from the start and saved a lot of time! Unfortunately he went to RC and died a few year later, so I am not sure what happened with that engine in the long run, but the Enya SS25 worked quite well on  his Ringmaster at Brodaks 2008.

Hi Martin

I have about 1.5 hrs on the Enya 29 on my test stand. I did basically follow your break-in method above.

I have been using Brodak 5% nitro / 29% all castor fuel for break-in cuz it is what I have. Engine seems to run fine. Pinch the fuel line to max rpm and release, and it settles down quite well.

I am ready to try it out in the air. But is 29% all castor too much oil for the first series of flights? Downside to that much oil for the initial flights?

I also have 23% oil (50/50 castor/syn). Stay away from that for now until x-many flights?

Thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 07:08:46 PM »
29 then alf in alf then maybe the weak one .

similar Veco 19 needed a litre of 30 % C in the air air . gutless & no revs on less oil . initially .

the OIL is the COOLING , so you cant have to much . though you need a bit of methanol ,  ;D .

Dont be in a rush .   S?P Take it easy on the NITRO at first , too . You work em up in % on that on them . Being not a b c .

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2023, 10:05:52 PM »

Hi Colin,

> I have about 1.5 hrs on the Enya 29 on my test stand. I did basically follow your break-in method above.

> I have been using Brodak 5% nitro / 29% all castor fuel for break-in cuz it is what I have. Engine seems to run fine. Pinch the fuel line to max rpm and release, and it settles down quite well.

Great! 

> I am ready to try it out in the air. But is 29% all castor too much oil for the first series of flights? Downside to that much oil for the initial flights?

Fuel with too much castor oil is not desirable for flying with tight clearance cylinder/piston engines like the Enya.  Oil increases fuel viscosity which reduces fuel draw (can be a real problem in cold climate), less power, fast varnish built up. A tight clearance engine will not do well with varnish built up, you go back to the problem with too much friction and heat.

> I also have 23% oil (50/50 castor/syn). Stay away from that for now until x-many flights?

this is a very good mix for flying with this engine,  but to be safe, use only after you are sure the engine is running free and smooth. You also do not want to keep using all castor fuel for too long to avoid the varnish built up.

Martin

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2023, 02:54:58 PM »
To add to Brian's information, I have a brand new ENYA 35 #5224 with a ball bearing front end.
Anyone know about this version?
Bob Z.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2023, 07:01:26 PM »
To add to Brian's information, I have a brand new ENYA 35 #5224 with a ball bearing front end.
Anyone know about this version?
Bob Z.

SNAP .

V popular in Aus. once , for B' T/Race .
Held NZ record once . The equal of a Enya 29 . IF sympathetically operated . Theyre Dual Ball Race .
or Jnr Record ?
see Bob Browns aeromudler T/R diatribe in Clakesons column around 73 or 74 .

21/29 S Tigres a bit faster . But there aint alot init .

Blame Bob Allen

" The 29 Special (called the Speedy in the US) came out in 1960 and was based on the 5103 III-B but with a different front end having that bathtub intake with 2 optional alloy inserts, a beefed up front casting and a single rear ball race. The iron piston ran in a chromed bore.

The model 5224 29-IV appeared in 1963, still with the two cylinder heads (now 6 bolt) but also with 3 different venturis for the still square intake. In 1964 they were supplied predrilled for a pressure tap (supplied but fitted with a blank) beneath the main bearing. Up until about 1966 plated screws were used then changed to black.

The 29-IV Special with twin ball races came in 1965.

The 29-IVB came out in late '72 with the round intakes but the BB Specials continued as just -IV and retained the square intake.

The final version was the model 5225 29-V in the early 80's with fake (?) mounting lugs on the rear of the crankcase and an alloy head shim instead of two different heads. The BB Specials went to a round intake and a smaller front bearing than before. "

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2023, 07:04:50 PM »

purloined from : http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5751&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=1c7b71f74f14c28f8db67a197b90a78d

"I'd recommend going with a well run in Enya 29. It should be nice and free. It might require some fiddling to achieve this. Use a high compression head. The exhaust duration should be about 136/138 degrees. You might have to put a spacer under the cylinder flange to achieve this.The crankcase timing should be:

Open - stock
Close - at 50/55 degrees ATDC.

Use the biggest bore venturi you can which still give you the required laps when using the following:

Prop: APC 8x7
Glowplug: Enya no.5
Fuel: 20% castor, 30% nitro methane, 10% Iso Propyl alcohol, 40% methanol (not Shell A)".

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2023, 07:19:09 PM »
Hi Colin,

> I have about 1.5 hrs on the Enya 29-5224 on my test stand. I did basically follow your break-in method above.

> I have been using Brodak 5% nitro / 29% all castor fuel for break-in cuz it is what I have. Engine seems to run fine. Pinch the fuel line to max rpm and release, and it settles down quite well.

Great! 

> I am ready to try it out in the air. But is 29% all castor too much oil for the first series of flights? Downside to that much oil for the initial flights?

Fuel with too much castor oil is not desirable for flying with tight clearance cylinder/piston engines like the Enya.  Oil increases fuel viscosity which reduces fuel draw (can be a real problem in cold climate), less power, fast varnish built up. A tight clearance engine will not do well with varnish built up, you go back to the problem with too much friction and heat.

> I also have 23% oil (50/50 castor/syn). Stay away from that for now until x-many flights?

this is a very good mix for flying with this engine,  but to be safe, use only after you are sure the engine is running free and smooth. You also do not want to keep using all castor fuel for too long to avoid the varnish built up.

Martin

Thanks Martin

I flew my model w/ the Enya 29-5224 today. Was not a great experience. No crash or anything like that, but the engine just ran poorly. (I did previously do the bench break-in as you have suggested using 5% nitro-29% oil all castor). And about 1.5 hours on the bench.

Vitals:
5 nitro - 29 oil (all castor)
Profile mounted engine (Carl Goldberg Shoestring)
10-5 MAS prop
Oval profile uniflow fuel tank
Muffler pressure used
(My Enya 29 is the round venturi version)

Engine started very easy each time. Just a few flips needed. I ran it on the rich side since I realize it is still breaking in. Engine ran reasonable in level flight (considering it was set rich). But I tried a simple loop and it quit at the top of the loop. It was not doing a good 4-2. So I thought too rich initially.

I did about six 3–4-minute flights. On successive runs I kept leaning it out a bit, but basically it still kept quitting at the top of the loop.

Thoughts welcome. Just needs more run-in time? Change to different fuel mix?

Maybe 29% all castor is just not OK. The owner's manual says minimum 20% oil. I can try the Brodak 23% oil (50/50) mix on my next runs. I can also add castor to boost the total oil up to say 25% if recommended for the break-in period.

What fuel do you recommend I use as the engine continues to break-in?

Pics of my setup attached.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 09:26:41 PM by Colin McRae »

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2023, 07:57:27 PM »
I have a brand new ENYA 35 #5224 with a ball bearing front end.
These are a bit of an odd one because they were known as a model 5224 35-III BB Special from around 1965/66 and seemed to precede the 29-III BB Special. Unlike the 29 they were never known as the 35-IV or 35-IVB, presumably because they only ever had the square venturis. Obviously they could never be used in B team race where 29 (5.00cc) was the maximum size. Very early ones (and extremely rare) used a convex radius prop driver and nickel plated screws before the switch to black screws in 66.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2023, 09:09:01 PM »
These are a bit of an odd one because they were known as a model 5224 35-III BB Special from around 1965/66 and seemed to precede the 29-III BB Special. Unlike the 29 they were never known as the 35-IV or 35-IVB, presumably because they only ever had the square venturis. Obviously they could never be used in B team race where 29 (5.00cc) was the maximum size. Very early ones (and extremely rare) used a convex radius prop driver and nickel plated screws before the switch to black screws in 66.

My 'understanding' is the Enya 29-5224 is an Enya 29-IV. Just renamed it the 5224 for some reason.

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2023, 05:40:45 AM »
Did you mention your venturi size.  They came with different sizes but you should use one no larger than about .265 or even smaller.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2023, 08:27:41 AM »
Thanks Martin

I flew my model w/ the Enya 29-5224 today. Was not a great experience. No crash or anything like that, but the engine just ran poorly. (I did previously do the bench break-in as you have suggested using 5% nitro-29% oil all castor). And about 1.5 hours on the bench.

Vitals:
5 nitro - 29 oil (all castor)
Profile mounted engine (Carl Goldberg Shoestring)
10-5 MAS prop
Oval profile uniflow fuel tank
Muffler pressure used
(My Enya 29 is the round venturi version)

Engine started very easy each time. Just a few flips needed. I ran it on the rich side since I realize it is still breaking in. Engine ran reasonable in level flight (considering it was set rich). But I tried a simple loop and it quit at the top of the loop. It was not doing a good 4-2. So I thought too rich initially.

I did about six 3–4-minute flights. On successive runs I kept leaning it out a bit, but basically it still kept quitting at the top of the loop.

Thoughts welcome. Just needs more run-in time? Change to different fuel mix?

Maybe 29% all castor is just not OK. The owner's manual says minimum 20% oil. I can try the Brodak 23% oil (50/50) mix on my next runs. I can also add castor to boost the total oil up to say 25% if recommended for the break-in period.

What fuel do you recommend I use as the engine continues to break-in?

Pics of my setup attached.

Thanks in advance.

What size venturi are you using?

One of the problems of too much oil is that it is harder to keep the plug lit. What glow plug are you using?   You should be using an Enya #3 or a very good hot plug.

Do you know if you are using the standard or High compression head?

If there is no fuel delivery problem and you have a good plug, quitting at the top of a loop is a typical problem of the piston growing with the heat and creating to much friction that the engine quits. If that is the case,  you need to get it  back on the bench and really make that engine work hard, running at peak rpm like I explained on Phase 2. Some engines comes more tight than the average already tight from Enya and it will require more time running in. The good news is that the harder the engine takes to break in the stronger it will be.

For running in the bench as I described you should use fuel with 20% all castor oil.  I suggest using a 10x4 nylon prop.

For flying with a fully broken in engine I recommend fuel  with  0~10% Nitro with   20~23%   50/50 ~ 60/40  Syn/Castor oil. Using all castor fuel is fine but you will soon need to disassemble the engine and clean the castor varnish.

Martin

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2023, 08:45:50 AM »

What size venturi are you using?

One of the problems of too much oil is that it is harder to keep the plug lit. What glow plug are you using?   You should be using an Enya #3 or a very good hot plug.

Do you know if you are using the standard or High compression head?

If there is no fuel delivery problem and you have a good plug, quitting at the top of a loop is a typical problem of the piston growing with the heat and creating to much friction that the engine quits. If that is the case,  you need to get it  back on the bench and really make that engine work hard, running at peak rpm like I explained on Phase 2. Some engines comes more tight than the average already tight from Enya and it will require more time running in. The good news is that the harder the engine takes to break in the stronger it will be.

For running in the bench as I described you should use fuel with 20% all castor oil.  I suggest using a 10x4 nylon prop.

For flying with a fully broken in engine I recommend fuel  with  0~10% Nitro with   20~23%   50/50 ~ 60/40  Syn/Castor oil. Using all castor fuel is fine but you will soon need to disassemble the engine and clean the castor varnish.

Martin

Thanks Martin.

I bought the engine from an estate. As far as I know it is stock (looked NIB). The guy was a collector and had some 800 engines. I will try to measure the venturi to see what it is.
I don't believe there is a fuel delivery issue. Tank/tubing/filter all new and clean and no leaks.
Not sure if it is a low or high comp head. How does one tell?
I am running a ENYA #3 hot plug.
Running on the bench I was using a MAS 10-4 prop.

To date (on the bench and in the air) I have used 5 nitro / 29 oil (all castor). I don't have 20% all castor.

My gut feel is just too much oil at 29% all castor.

I have about 2 total hours on the engine. As I continue the break in process, can I go ahead and start trying the Brodak 5 nitro - 23 oil (50/50)? Any downside if I use this fuel and keep it on the rich side?

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2023, 02:21:25 PM »

Hi Colin,

what I am concerned about is that your engine is quitting on top of the loop and I don´t think it is because of the 29% oil. The Enya 3 plug should handle that much oil fine. I had a Nobler with a Fox 35 many years ago and I used 10% Nitro and 29% Oil fuel and using an Enya 3 plug I never had a problem with the engine quitting.

I  don´t want to tell you something that may do any harm to your engine.

cold, big venturi and high viscosity fuel make it harder to draw fuel, if the engine can not draw enough fuel it can quit.

If the engine is quitting on top of the loop because of the heat expanding the piston causing high friction, two things come to mind, high temperature and high pressure, and I am not sure how well a fuel with synthetic oil will work in this case, maybe someone with more experience and knowledge can pitch in.

As far as I know, castor oil will never stop lubricating and protecting the surfaces no matter the temperature. Synthetic oil will lose its properties in high temperatures.

Since you have at least half castor to keep the protection I guess it would be ok if you run rich.

Once I tried this Enya Muffler with my Enya 45 6001 and the engine run was strangely erratic. If you can, try a different muffler and let me know if it made any difference.

Here is a picture showing the Low and High compression head.

https://i30.servimg.com/u/f30/17/00/06/17/img_0010.jpg

On the left is the low-compression one.

In the end, you will have a great running engine! Good engines are harder in the beginning.

Have fun flying this weekend!

Martin

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2023, 05:03:22 PM »
Hi Colin,

what I am concerned about is that your engine is quitting on top of the loop and I don´t think it is because of the 29% oil. The Enya 3 plug should handle that much oil fine. I had a Nobler with a Fox 35 many years ago and I used 10% Nitro and 29% Oil fuel and using an Enya 3 plug I never had a problem with the engine quitting.

cold, big venturi and high viscosity fuel make it harder to draw fuel, if the engine can not draw enough fuel it can quit.

If the engine is quitting on top of the loop because of the heat expanding the piston causing high friction, two things come to mind, high temperature and high pressure, and I am not sure how well a fuel with synthetic oil will work in this case, maybe someone with more experience and knowledge can pitch in.

As far as I know, castor oil will never stop lubricating and protecting the surfaces no matter the temperature. Synthetic oil will lose its properties in high temperatures.

Since you have at least half castor to keep the protection I guess it would be ok if you run rich.

Once I tried this Enya Muffler with my Enya 45 6001 and the engine run was strangely erratic. If you can, try a different muffler and let me know if it made any difference.

In the end, you will have a great running engine! Good engines are harder in the beginning.

Martin

I also run 5N/29 castor in my Fox and McCoy 35's with hot long plug. They run well.

It just seems to me 29 castor is just too much since the engine was designed for 20% castor per the owner's manual. 20 to 29 is a big jump.

The muffler I have is an Enya designed for the 29. I don't have a different one I can use. Our flying club requires mufflers on all engines except for 1/2a size.

I can get some 5H/20 castor but I have to get my fuel on-line as none of the local hobby shops in the San Francisco Bay area have the fuel I need. All they typically have is only high nitro stuff for RC cars.

I might just try one tank of the 5N/23 (50-50) as a test. It should be obvious on how different the engine may run. If no difference, then it will be something else going on. And I will then get some 5N/20 castor to continue the break-in process.

Again, thx for all your help.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2023, 07:31:57 PM »
Yea . Should be good . Thanks for the pictures . It saves a Thousand Words , as Good As ! .  ;D

The old ' pinch the fuel tube ' trick , Should pick up instant . Shoulsdnt sag orrible . As In keep it rich ish .
The old ' Nose Up ' ( vertical ) screw in till it sags , out till it just holds , and 2 or three clicks richer . Shake the snot out of it , nose vertical . Keeping your anatomy away from it , and eyes .

It should stay going flat outish . Standard Combat . Peacemaker Kiwi ' Set The Needle '  For Flight . Of course you can go richer from there , But leaner and it'll likely ' sag ' under duress .

I ran a OS 30 & eta 29 on a 9 x 6 , pretty 4 strokeish . Maybe a trimmed 10 x 5 , to 9 1/2 , for that plane . A worn prop with the ends squared . Grass wears tips rounded , on fields .

Should stomp around nicely . If its TIGHT dont hurry it . Prop 'll depend largely on what speed you want . The ten x 4 would be good , but the tourque may loosen the lines / turn it in on hard corners ,
if its a heavy prop running hard . perhaps . Being a little plane . If its steady and out on 65 foot lines , in calmish air , youve got more room than 60s . WHEN its going dependable . So 60s for starters .

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2023, 05:54:33 PM »
Hi Colin,

Martin

Martin, here is the head for my 29-5224. Looks to me to be the low compression design. Can you please confirm. And when I took it off there was no head gasket. Should there be one for a stock Enya?

Also:
Venturi ID at base 8.4mm (0.330 inch)
Spray bar OD 4mm

And when I took off the NVA I noticed the spray bar was bent a little. So also a needle function issue.

Lots of issues per the above.

I will get a smaller venturi (0.265"?) and new NVA and go from there. I will advise when all back together and see how she runs.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 06:34:07 PM by Colin McRae »

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2023, 08:29:00 PM »
Martin, here is the head for my 29-5224. Looks to me to be the low compression design. Can you please confirm. And when I took it off there was no head gasket. Should there be one for a stock Enya?
Once again using info from Bob Allan's compendium, Enya never marked their heads for high/low compression so the only way to tell is to measure the depth of the projection on the side furthest from the baffle slot. For low compression it will be around 2.2mm and high compression about 3.1mm for plain bearing and 3.5mm for BB Specials. Also Enyas don't have head gaskets.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2023, 08:55:15 PM »
" Also Enyas don't have head gaskets. "

Oh Well , at least they have Heads ! .  ;D

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2023, 05:23:11 AM »
Good info on that venturi.  .330 would be considered huge for sport/stunt flying.  Example:  Fox .35 is about ..270 and runs very well with a 4mm spraybar.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2023, 07:43:39 AM »

Also:
Venturi ID at base 8.4mm (0.330 inch)
Spray bar OD 4mm

And when I took off the NVA I noticed the spray bar was bent a little. So also a needle function issue.

Lots of issues per the above.

I will get a smaller venturi (0.265"?) and new NVA and go from there. I will advise when all back together and see how she runs.

Thanks

You have the High Compression Head, which I think will work well with 0% Nitro and save you some money.  If you want to use nitro then you may need to find a low compression head for your engine.  Try to work with this head, change only if the engine is too aggressive when flying.

The venturi is too big and you definitely need to get a new one.  Enya has available venturis from 6.5mm to 8.0mm.  I recommend you try the 7.0mm with Nitro and  7.5mm with 0% Nitro.  Venturi size depends on the climate where you fly.  if at sea level you probably need to get the smaller 6.5mm venturi.

I suggest you get an NVA from Randy Smith, that NVA is the best right now. You will need to use some washers to center the spray hole, and I suggest you seal everything with silicone when you mount the NVA.

At the time Enya sold engines with 2 heads and 3 venturis, so people could tune their engines to different applications.

Martin

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2023, 05:18:09 PM »

You have the High Compression Head, which I think will work well with 0% Nitro and save you some money.  If you want to use nitro then you may need to find a low compression head for your engine.  Try to work with this head, change only if the engine is too aggressive when flying.

The venturi is too big and you definitely need to get a new one.  Enya has available venturis from 6.5mm to 8.0mm.  I recommend you try the 7.0mm with Nitro and  7.5mm with 0% Nitro.  Venturi size depends on the climate where you fly.  if at sea level you probably need to get the smaller 6.5mm venturi.

I suggest you get an NVA from Randy Smith, that NVA is the best right now. You will need to use some washers to center the spray hole, and I suggest you seal everything with silicone when you mount the NVA.

At the time Enya sold engines with 2 heads and 3 venturis, so people could tune their engines to different applications.

Martin

Thx Martin

I will get the 6.5mm venturi and low comp head. I usually run 5-10 nitro (mostly 5 nitro) depending on my model and engine.

There is a great source for Enya and OS engine parts here in the states in Florida. Bobby Brooks (shtterman@aol.com). He also sells on eBay (The Control Line Store). He also has stock Enya NVA's.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2023, 11:29:22 AM »
Once again using info from Bob Allan's compendium, Enya never marked their heads for high/low compression so the only way to tell is to measure the depth of the projection on the side furthest from the baffle slot. For low compression it will be around 2.2mm and high compression about 3.1mm for plain bearing and 3.5mm for BB Specials. Also Enyas don't have head gaskets.

Hi Brian

I did confirm by measurement that I indeed have the high comp head. It is a plain bearing 29-5224 and the height is 3.1 mm.

Thanks

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2023, 07:26:06 PM »
An update on my Enya 29-5224 operation.

I was able to obtain a low comp head, smaller 6.5 mm venturi and new NVA. So now pretty much a stock 29 engine.

I ran it in my test stand today. It ran much better with predictable operation as I would expect for a stunt engine. I will now mount it back on my CG Shoestring and take it for a ride.

(Hopefully now it won't quit at the top of a simple loop !!)

Anyway, thanks to all for the great info and help on my Enya 29. Much appreciated.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2023, 09:51:56 AM »
A couple of additional questions for the 29-5224 for a stunt application on a profile model.

Based on others experience:

1. Recommended fuel tank height (in relation to the spray bar) to get equal lap times? (I typically use metal oval profile tanks on my stunt models)

2. Vented uniflow fuel tank, pressurized uniflow tank w/ muffler pressure, or standard vented tank with under/over venting?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2023, 11:35:41 AM »

Starting tank height is about 1/8 higher center of the venturi, or better yet than the spray nozzle hole. Go flying and then make adjustments if necessary.

You can try with and without muffler pressure and see what works best for you.

In my experience with Profile Models with Enya engines, RC tanks work much better.  I use Sullivan RST 4.0oz Tank plumbed with uniflow with a brass tube and not a second silicone fuel tube running in parallel with the pickup fuel line, it makes no sense having the uniflow end point moving up and down inside the tank. This is a big tank and I mount the tank on the other side which works even better in a rich 2-2-2 setup, but I think this will probably not work in a 4-2-4 setup.  you need to set the needle to max rpm on the ground as it will get quite a bit richer as you fly.

Here is a video of this tank setup with the Enya SS30 with a Reduced Version of the Pathfinder. I haven´t seen anything that can deliver such performance at this slow speed in the maneuvers and with no line slack.

Martin

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2023, 12:20:24 PM »
Thanks Martin

I will try different tank set-ups and see how it goes.

I am still learning and run various engines on different models. For a Fox 35 stunt for example, the engine runs best (equal lap times) if the tank centerline is around 1/4" to 3/8" above the spray bar. And a standard vent tank seems to run best. I have run muffler pressure w/ uniflow (needle set leaner to compensate for the muffler pressure), but when the Fox 35 does its typical 'death burp' when going inverted, it momentarily changes the fuel flow and goes lean since the fuel pressure is changing a bit. With standard vent tank, the fuel flow is more consistent as I experience.

On an OS 25LA, 46LA and Evolution 36NT, the tank centered on the spray bar works pretty well. Maybe 1/8" higher might be optimum.

I am just trying to shorten my learning curve on the Enya since the 29-5224 is my first Enya in the air.

All of my models to date do not allow for tank height adjustment. I have to re-drill the fuselage to relocate the tank. On my future models, I plan on making the tank height fully adjustable at the field.

One other thing I still don't understand on clunk type tanks set up for uniflow. For the tank to function uniflow, my understanding is the fuel pickup location and uniflow vent need to be at the same level in the tank. If the uniflow vent is at a fixed location, and the clunk is moving around, I don't see how the uniflow concept works. On my metal oval profile or wedge tanks, the fuel pickup and uniflow vent are fixed and at the same level.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2023, 04:20:36 PM »

Yes! Every engine has its particular tank height and run characteristics.

John Miller posted some time ago this Tank setup and that is what I have been using, with the taller side in the vertical on profiles models.

What I have learned is that the Engine cares only about where the uniflow exit height is, not so much where the center of the tank or the pick-up point is.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2023, 04:50:13 PM »

Well one thing is for sure, what will work best for the Enya 29 will probably not be the best for other Enyas.

There is a lot going on inside an engine and it varies quite a bit from one engine to another,  like intake/exhaust/crank timing, crank fuel passage, internal crankcase volume, compression, size of internal Air/Fuel mix channels, angle of how the fuel enters the combustion chamber, head shape,  how the engine exchange heat, Metallurgy if Iron, ABC, ABN, AAC or Ring and more!

Martin

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2023, 06:16:23 PM »
Yes! Every engine has its particular tank height and run characteristics.

John Miller posted some time ago this Tank setup and that is what I have been using, with the taller side in the vertical on profiles models.

What I have learned is that the Engine cares only about where the uniflow exit height is, not so much where the center of the tank or the pick-up point is.

We have learned that the uniflow regulation is dependent on the location of the uniflow exit inside the tank. Used with a clunk pickup, it is counterproductive to tie the uniflow end to the pickup. That practice creates problems and negates many of the advantages of a uniflow tank.

The uniflow establishes the center of the tank as the engine sees it. if the apparent center is bobbing up and down with the clunk, well, the tank is not acting as a uniflow.

You may notice the bend on the outside uniflow line. This is to help you twist, or raise, and lower, the end of the uniflow exit inside the tank. The engine sees this as raising, or lowering the entire tank so you can adjust your engine run for upright, or inverted flight without actually moving the tank. Easy-Peasy.

John Miller
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2023, 02:57:22 PM »
It should be pretty easy to determine if the engine is tight when run on the bench. For a still tight engine, I would ABSOLUTELY use a Uniflow tank when flying it, because I would NOT want it to be going leaner as the flight progresses.

If you gotta do some tricks to keep from falling over, lazy 8's would be a good choice. Honestly, I haven't done a lazy 8 in about 30 years.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2023, 08:52:10 PM »
I use essentially the same set up as in Martin's diagram above except I run the last inch or so of uniflow back along the side of the tank as close to the clunk as possible without it interfering with the clunk. Also I angle the tank slightly outboard at the clunk end to keep as much of the remaining fuel as possible at the end of the flight still covering the uniflow. Usually this keeps the tune constant until about one lap before it runs out of fuel and leans out. Twisting the end of the uniflow line to raise or lower it is a simple and very effective way to get the same results as raising or lowering the tank but if you use muffler pressure then a small change can make a bigger difference.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2023, 06:49:32 PM »
I was able to get my CG Shoestring w/ Enya 29-5224 back in the air this past week. The engine ran much better with the smaller 6.5mm venturi and low compression head. The only issue I experienced was a power sag when overhead. The inside and outside loops were fine.

I think the power sag issue might be related to fuel tank height or fuel delivery issue. I am going to raise the tank to see if performance improves.

The engine is still relatively new hours-wise.

I am running a metal Brodak oval profile uniflow tank w/ muffler pressure. I might also try the uniflow tank without muffler pressure for comparison.

Any comments on the power sag when overhead is welcome. I am also running a MAS 10-5 prop.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2023, 08:13:16 PM »

if it is 4 stroking during level flight, then I think the engine is still not fully broken in, when you get up there the engine gets hotter, and the piston grows more than the liner increasing friction/heat causing the engine to sag. This is fixed by doing the 2nd Phase of break-in as I wrote above or keep flying, it will take longer, but eventually, it will stop doing that, if that is the problem.

If you launch too lean, the venturi is too small and you need to go to 7.0mm and/or use more nitro. Try running w/o the muffler, and if that works, for sure you will need a bigger venturi to make it work with the muffler

It could be the fuel you are using.

Try different props,  APC always performs better than MAS

Can you make a video?

Martin

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2023, 08:41:53 PM »
sorry I confused your model with the Banshee for some reason, I am getting too old  Z@@ZZZ Z@@ZZZ !

The Shoestring is a much smaller model.

I think that your engine is not fully broken in.

For this size model, you should be using a 9x4  9x5  9x6" size propeller

Once the engine is fully broken in, you will probably have to detune the engine to cut power with an exhaust deflector/less nitro/air filter

Martin

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2023, 05:41:16 AM »
I get to fly that motor on a very heavy Ringmaster.  A MAS 9 1/2x6 works well. Not sure about venturi but it is quite small and the plane seems to stay up forever on 3oz of 10%.  Best run is a 'wet 2' and does not sag upstairs if set well. No muffler.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2023, 05:42:25 PM »

if it is 4 stroking during level flight, then I think the engine is still not fully broken in, when you get up there the engine gets hotter, and the piston grows more than the liner increasing friction/heat causing the engine to sag. This is fixed by doing the 2nd Phase of break-in as I wrote above or keep flying, it will take longer, but eventually, it will stop doing that, if that is the problem.

If you launch too lean, the venturi is too small and you need to go to 7.0mm and/or use more nitro. Try running w/o the muffler, and if that works, for sure you will need a bigger venturi to make it work with the muffler

It could be the fuel you are using.

Try different props,  APC always performs better than MAS

Can you make a video?

Martin

During my initial flights, it might have been a bit too lean. I will ensure it is a good wet 2-cycle on the ground for the next flights.

I did do a good phase 2 break-in and engine responded as you said. Pinched fuel line to get max rpm for 10 sec or so and released. Engine immediately reduced speed. I have right around 2 hours on the engine so far. But as you say maybe just needs a bit more operating time. I used 5 nitro - 29 oil (all castor) for the bench break-in (first 2 hours). But used 5 nitro - 23 oil (50/50 castor/syn) for the initial flights.

I have the Enya operating instructions. It recommended a 10-5 prop for break-in. I saw no need to change and used same prop for the first flights on my CG Shoestring. But I can easily experiment with 9" diameter props you recommend. For stunt, I usually go w/ a low 4 pitch prop, then try different diameters until I get a good, desired lap time (low 5's).

I will just give it more operating time and see how it goes. The 29-5224 is my 1st Enya. Happy so far.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 08:03:14 AM by Colin McRae »

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2023, 08:39:16 AM »
My experience with Enya is that they don't produce as much power as other engines and those prop recomendations are probably for RC aircraft which don't have the drag of the lines. I've always used 9" props for planes that size unless you want to dampen the turn for some reason.   

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2023, 10:27:20 AM »
My experience with Enya is that they don't produce as much power as other engines and those prop recomendations are probably for RC aircraft which don't have the drag of the lines. I've always used 9" props for planes that size unless you want to dampen the turn for some reason.

Thanks

I will surely experiment with different 9" props.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2023, 08:14:58 PM »
Put 20 % NITRO inem , and they fair haul .

Id keep the oil up , for the meantime . 25 % Castor - till it feels nice n smooth n bouncy turningit .

If it SAGS at all , your a mean cruel man ! .  S?P H^^  9 x 6 tornado or sucklikes probly pretty good , ora ten cut to 9 1/2 even  . whadeva . give it TIME to settle in , and keep the Dirt OUT .

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2023, 03:21:25 PM »
During my initial flights, it might have been a bit too lean. I will ensure it is a good wet 2-cycle on the ground for the next flights.

I did do a good phase 2 break-in and engine responded as you said. Pinched fuel line to get max rpm for 10 sec or so and released. Engine immediately reduced speed. I have right around 2 hours on the engine so far. But as you say maybe just needs a bit more operating time. I used 5 nitro - 29 oil (all castor) for the bench break-in (first 2 hours). But used 5 nitro - 23 oil (50/50 castor/syn) for the initial flights.

I have the Enya operating instructions. It recommended a 10-5 prop for break-in. I saw no need to change and used same prop for the first flights on my CG Shoestring. But I can easily experiment with 9" diameter props you recommend. For stunt, I usually go w/ a low 4 pitch prop, then try different diameters until I get a good, desired lap time (low 5's).

I will just give it more operating time and see how it goes. The 29-5224 is my 1st Enya. Happy so far.

I am glad you are happy! The engine will get better and better as you run. The same thing happens with competition engines, it takes quite a bit of time flying to get in the sweet spot. The good thing is, once it gets there it will stay there for a long, long...long time repeating the same results over and over again. 

10x4, 10x5 and 10x6 are good Props for Enya 29 but for models like a Nobler.

I have learned to setup the engine to run with the best prop size for the airframe/climate, and not the best prop for the engine. I can tune my Enya 40 to work well with 10" prop with a Vector  or al the way up to a 12" prop for a bigger model.

The Enya 29 will work fine with props from 9" to 10.5" for stunt use, just need to make the proper changes adjusting venturi size, fuel, exhaust restriction and so on.

Martin

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2023, 09:37:59 AM »
Thanks Martin (and all others!)

I ran the 29-5224 yesterday on my bench to get more time on the engine. Performed more of the 'Phase 2' process. Engine runs just as predicted. Starts on 1st flip and immediately goes back to rich when releasing the pinched fuel line.

I usually run metal fuel tanks (both wide wedge and oval profile designs). I have both standard vent (over/under venting) and uniflow.

What is the suggestion for fuel tank setup for best chance of stunt success?

-Standard vent over/under venting
-Uniflow with open vent (overflow plugged)
-Uniflow with muffler pressure

Model it is on is a CG Shoestring. Model weighs 37.8 oz dry (13.8 wing loading). A bit porky. I have 9" and 10" props available. Pitches 4 thru 6.

Thanks in advance.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here