News:

• May 01, 2024, 06:55:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enya 29 - 5224  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
Re: Enya 29 - 5224
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2023, 06:48:54 PM »
Hi Colin,

I always use a uniflow tank, but not always muffler pressure, I try both ways to see what works best.  a Standard Vent tank the fuel pressure and flow will change making it leaner and leaner as you fly.

In a profile model, I like to use Sullivan 4.0 OZ  tank plumbed for uniflow, but I guess a 4oz tank will not fit in your model and a 2oz tank may be too small.

I suggest you use a metal uniflow tank that is the narrowest, so the fuel pick-up point is as close as possible to the NVA.

If it is still sagging on top, perhaps you need a bit more power. You can change one thing at a time like more nitro, a larger venturi, or a less restrictive muffler.

Sagging could be related to fuel delivery,  doubt it, but it is worth mentioning.

I never used this Brodak tank, but I understand it is the narrowest one you can get and it was designed specifically for profile models.

https://brodak.com/fuel/fuel-tank/brodak-tanks/uniflow-large-profile.html

For a profile model, you always start with the tank 1/8" higher than the center of the venturi, or better yet of the spray hole, that sometimes is not centered with the venturi. And then make adjustments if necessary after test flying.

Good luck,

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Online Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2023, 07:42:27 PM »
Thanks Martin

This is my current setup on a CG Shoestring. 3 oz Brodak oval profile uniflow tank. I usually run metal uniflow on my models. But standard vent on my Fox 35's. The tank is around 3/8" above the spray bar center on my Shoestring.

On the 29-5224, I will try with and without muffler pressure to see how it performs. And I normally use low nitro at first (5%). Then 10% if needed. Lots of 'fun' experimentation.

Thanks again and you have been very helpful to me on my 1st Enya. I have a lot of OS engines that all run great. I am sure (with your help), the Enya will be just as good if not better.

Online Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2023, 03:15:40 PM »
Hi Martin

After some additional run time on my bench, I flew my profile CG Shoestring model today w/ the Enya 29-5224 around 6 times. Engine is running much better.

I also experimented a bit with 5 & 10% nitro, MAS 10-5 and 10-6 props and with and without muffler pressure. What worked best was 10%, 10-6 prop and muffler pressure. Sweet spot seemed to be around 10,000 rpm on the ground. Engine does speed up a bit after it gets in the air on the 1st lap. Was doing close to 6 sec laps with the 10-5 prop, and 5 sec with the 10-6. The Shoestring wing is prone to stall if too much control input, so it needs to fly a bit fast for best performance.

The fuel I was using was 10% nitro and 22% total oil 50/50 castor/syn. (On the bench during initial break-in, I used 25% total oil after adding some castor to the 22% fuel.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 04:22:46 PM by Colin McRae »

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2023, 04:54:32 PM »
Hi Colin,

Good to hear about your progress.  When the fuel pick-up point inside the tank is far from the NVA spray hole, it will lean out when you start flying because the fuel will want to go the other way. It also makes the engine go even faster with more speed added in windy days, not very good for speed regulation.

The best is to have a uniflow tank with the fuel pickup point closest to NVA for better speed control. An RC Tank mounted on the other side, works amazingly well in wet 2-2-2 mode.  In this situation, it goes richer if the plane tries to go faster and leaner if it gets slower, in other words, it does a good job keeping the speed.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here