News:

• May 02, 2024, 02:20:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RC carb or CL Sport flying????  (Read 550 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
RC carb or CL Sport flying????
« on: April 07, 2019, 09:03:28 AM »
         Hello All:

Is there any reason that I can not satisfactorily use a RC carb for Sport/Stunt flying? if one rigs the RC carb to be open at all times, would this not work well?

I have several HP .40 engines that came with custom nva and venturm.  The holes in the venturm are much too large to draw fuel.  I could block off a bit of the hole in the venturi on each, but I also have the original RC carbs.

Suggestions/Comments

Be well

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: RC carb or CL Sport flying????
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 09:21:39 AM »
         Hello All:

Is there any reason that I can not satisfactorily use a RC carb for Sport/Stunt flying? if one rigs the RC carb to be open at all times, would this not work well?

I have several HP .40 engines that came with custom nva and venturm.  The holes in the venturm are much too large to draw fuel.  I could block off a bit of the hole in the venturi on each, but I also have the original RC carbs.

That generally works OK. The one minor flaw is that almost all of them tend to have small shifts in the RPM as something inside the carb shifts slightly and either leaks air, changes the mixture, or changes the opening. This seems to matter a bit to 4-strokes and people themselves semi-crazy trying to figure out what it was and fix it  until they decided to ignore the "super-expert 4-stroke advice" they got from the promoters/salesmen and just replaced it with a venturi. On 2-strokes you can sometimes still detect the effect, but it seems to be almost negligible in most cases I have seen. This would be a bit of an issue for competition but for sport flying, no issue.

Be sure and adjust the carb over the full range of openings, just like it says in the instructions. Then either use the idle stop and a spring, or a clevis and spring, or something, to make it so you can adjust the throttle opening from wide open to maybe 75% to start with. Then set the speed with the throttle position rather than the needle. This is like having a variable-sized CL venturi, which makes much more sense for speed control than a fixed venturi and setting the mixture to adjust the speed.

Brett

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
Re: RC carb or CL Sport flying????
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 06:25:47 PM »
Hello
Another simply solution is to remove the heavy brass or steel barrel and epoxy or JB weld in a wooden (or plastic/ally etc) dowel and then re-drill it to the size  venturi you want. If you go too large heat the R/C carb and put in a new dowel and drill again. In one end you drill a hole for either and RC style spray bar or even more simple a 1/8 copper tube and use a good quality remote needle assembly. Has worked well for me and friends on a variety of engines and is especially easy to do and is leak proof. The only disadvantage is it just does not look as nice as a true C/L venturi but is trouble free and a lot lighter then an RC carb (can be made lighter again if you trim the carb down with a cut off wheel to just larger then the largest hole size you may want.

Regards Gerald

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here