News:

• May 13, 2024, 01:39:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A question towards electric...........  (Read 815 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A question towards electric...........
« on: April 07, 2010, 05:20:11 PM »
Seeing the recent post about is your prop too long, I was wondering why there is nobody heading towards a stuka or corsair wing. Since large propellers are more efficient and the bent wing allowed the shorter gear to reach the ground and the large prop clear the ground.

Dave Adamisin

Re: A question towards electric...........
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 11:39:57 AM »
Seeing the recent post about is your prop too long, I was wondering why there is nobody heading towards a stuka or corsair wing. Since large propellers are more efficient and the bent wing allowed the shorter gear to reach the ground and the large prop clear the ground.

Other than the problem that they look like hell going around corners.......

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 01:16:19 PM »
It could be that todays electrics can use the small prop more efficently then in the past. I just meant that electrics like rubber power have consistantly been using far larger props than the gas motor which could turn far faster.

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 07:36:07 PM »
It could be that todays electrics can use the small prop more efficently then in the past. I just meant that electrics like rubber power have consistantly been using far larger props than the gas motor which could turn far faster.
Your right Jim. Sorry I was joking. I have noticed this too. The longer props that I've experienced with out local fliers here in south east Michigan have almost exclusively been the APC-E props. They are usually narrow at the tips and add very little to the power load as they get longer. I have been cutting shorter props out of them for a project I have in the works. The most exciting fallout of the ecl trip so far is the ability to get some good "pusher" props. The reverse rotation has a nice influence on line tension. I have a need for 10 and 11 in pusher props in the 4.5 - 6.5 pitch range. So far the only place I can find them is inside 13 in props. As far as being able to use shorter props more efficiently that's a good question. One of the strong siuts of the electric motor is that it doesn't slow down as much in corners as wet systems do. This allows them to turn the larger props with loosing airspeed.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:36:13 PM »

Not really , that is just common that many people use smaller props on IC, a PA 75 will turn a 16.5 x 4.5 Rev-Up with ease, that would kill most electrics motors that are being use in stunt ships today, Scott Bair used 15 inch as the smallest diameter props on his StuntFires, and turned them with 64s and 65 IC motors, I have 15x5s and  16 x 4.5  on my Stuntfires here, Scott also had one that turned 2 13 or 14 inch props at the same time
 Doesn't much matter what is turning them , most flyers DO NOT like to deal with the GP that comes from this size prop
Regards
Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here