News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:25:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What engine did I just buy?  (Read 3277 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What engine did I just buy?
« on: November 10, 2015, 12:15:40 PM »
Just bought a "wooden propeller" from eBay, which happened to be attached to a strange piece of metal (really!  That's what the ad said!).

So -- what did I buy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TOP-FLITE-WOOD-PROPELLOR-ROGERS-ENGINE-AIRPLANE-/141819152248?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=BpAGvJVNljyLp4gYg%252BRT5GdRwlw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: What engine did I just buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 01:30:48 PM »
well I sure don't know,, but I wonder if that prop was ever on that motor to run in real life,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 02:11:59 PM »
Hah.  The phrase "slag engine" swam into my head, and then my Google-Fu proved fruitful.  It appears to be a Rogers 29 with pieces missing: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rogers-29-rmc-ignition-model-airplane-163404276.

In which case it's a mid-1930's ignition engine of the el-cheapo "slag" variety.  (I kinda knew it was an el-cheapo engine, so I'm not feeling, like, cheated or anything).

So the prop may actually be a realistic size, assuming that the original owner managed to get it running before it wore out.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 02:34:04 PM »
Put that on the next airframe you don't want to tear up.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 03:36:36 PM »
Put that on the next airframe you don't want to tear up.

Steve

I recall reading that Rogers .29's were well known for their inability to do a 4-2-4 stunt run. Or any other sort of stunt run. Should be great on a Skyray 35 if you can get Brett to give you the sekrit tuneup. I'm unable to decide whether I'd rather have the prop or the engine. Where's the "thumbs up" icon?  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 04:34:46 PM »
Does the head come off or is it cast with the cylinder?  Actually, if it does, in fact, have some type of ferrous cylinder liner I would expect that it would at least run on glow.  After you fabricate some type of venturi that is.  Best skip the nitro completely. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »
Does the head come off or is it cast with the cylinder?  Actually, if it does, in fact, have some type of ferrous cylinder liner I would expect that it would at least run on glow.  After you fabricate some type of venturi that is.  Best skip the nitro completely. 

I'm pretty sure it's a one-piece casting.  For that matter, I'm pretty sure that it's an all-aluminum cylinder (like my Vega!)  I may just frame it and hang it on the wall, but if it'll run, or if I go crazy and build a steel liner for it, I'll run it as a sparker.
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 09:00:09 PM »
Golly, Tim, if you have a Vega, why do you drive that little Ford thing to contests?  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 10:26:59 PM »
All of the slag engines put out by the Winton brothers at AHC will run. Not as an ignition engine unless you use about 6 volts to overcome that ridiculous wiper contact timer that they used.
You can run any slag with a glow plug and the usual 50/50 mixture of oil and gas as a glow, as long as you keep a battery on the glow plug. I got a Syncro B-30 to start in 3 flips. And I ran a Thor long enough for it to kind of melt. believe it or not they will hit their 6K rpm limit. The joys of a misspent youth. AHC was not the greatest advertisement for modelling in general but they surely did know how to sell crap. oh, and they didn't make the Rogers if my memory is correct, old age is catching up with me.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 08:06:14 AM »
The slaggers were all similar but not all parts interchangeable. The Rogers of the dual intake variety seem to be the best performers. These engines had a front rotary valve and a sideport inlet on the rear of the cylinder. They will run, but they need so much oil for avoid, or should I say slow down, their self destruction that they need hot ignition. My dad tells a story of he and a friend and a Syncro B-30. Dad lived in Detroit where the Syncros were built. His friend bought a B-30 and they tried for days to make it run to no avail. So as a last resort for 2 kids that were out of ideas they went to the "plant". In the back there was a doorway into the repair area. They hung around there until some grumpy guys asked what they were doing hanging around there. They showed him the engine and explained the problem. He softened a little and took the engine and had them go in. There was a long bench along one wall with test blocks and he quickly set the engine up, fueled in and in a few flips had it running. They were happy and headed back to his buddy's place and put it in the model. It never ran again, or should I say they could never get it to run again. looking back Dad says he's sure it was poor ignition and that's probably what it was.

They are way down in power for .29s, maybe about what an old Fox .10 puts out, a little more for a good one. SAM has a slag even and its fun watching guys fly or try to with these things. There was one guy that used only Rogers and he won pretty consistently mostly because he could actually start and run them pretty well.

I have a few, a Thor I build from a set of old castings and parts Dad passed along to me. It runs as well as any but that's not saying much. The bypasses are so small in them I had always thought about "porting" one to see if I could get any more out but I've never gotten that involved. Interestingly, Syncro had a version with 2 very fine iron piston rings which seems to have been a good idea except the aluminum cylinder just wouldn't hold up. Dad was experimenting with aluminum rings when his vision suddenly got very bad, now all his projects have become mine to finish.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here