News:

• May 08, 2024, 08:41:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: K&B .40 questions  (Read 3155 times)

Offline RDJeff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
K&B .40 questions
« on: October 13, 2011, 10:08:07 PM »
New guy here.  I picked up a lightly used C/L K&B .40 off the Bay, and would like to know more about it.  It is a ball bearing engine, and appears to have 3 piston rings.  I've got a Brodak Thunderbird next in line to be built, and am hoping this will be a good engine for it.  Are there any bad habits with this engine, or things that need to be modified?

I have other engines, but there's something about this one...

I appreciate any help! 

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: K&B .40 questions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 11:09:42 PM »
11 x 5 . need a picture . look at the Meco site for MODEL NO . typically 120 / 140 on sleeve trans / Ex .
10 % nitro to keep it alive .Mufflers might suck .

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 04:52:39 AM »
Jeff - a friend of mine had a K&B CL 40 and mentioned that it would tend to run away. He wanted more of a classic stunt run.

He sent me the head and I made a small modification. I created a hemispherical combustion chamber with a .45 inch radius while narrowing the squish band to .040 inch.

He stated that the mod tamed the engine and gave it the exact type of run he wanted.

Keep in mind that although the mod worked well for him, I can't be positive that you have the exact same version - there may have been a few different ones.

I suggest that you remove the head and and see how the chamber is configured - then you can decide what to do.

I've attached before and after pictures of an OS 60 head that I modified.

Bob Z.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:10:25 AM by Robert Zambelli »

Offline RDJeff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 09:13:21 AM »
Robert,

Thanks for the info.  I believe mine is the model 4011 ringed, but can't be sure.  The head in your pictures looks like a Fox .35 head, for the baffled piston type engine, while mine is definitely a flat topped piston.  I haven't pulled the head off to look yet, but will tonight. 

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 11:12:22 AM »
Jeff - the one I did was a 4011 also but there are, I believe, different versions of that one also.

The one I did had a flat-top piston.

Bob Z.

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 02:16:43 PM »
Anyone picked up on the three piston rings? Assuming there are two rings could it be mistaking the areas between the rings and above and below the rings for rings? Or is it really three rings?
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline RDJeff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 02:21:36 PM »
They sure like 3 separate rings to me.  They're a different color from the piston material.  Three separate lines on the piston, all equally spaced.  How thick would a ring for one these be anyway?

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 05:39:48 PM »
I've been around since before the first K&B .40 came out. They've always been either Dykes ringed (one "L shaped" ring at the very top of the piston) or ABC. If it is an ABC, you will see the brass color of the cylinder liner when you look into the exhaust stack.

Likely model numbers would be #4011 (which has a rather long prop driver with a setscrew and maybe a split pin) or the #4050/4055, which has a much sturdier front housing and a shorter prop driver with no setscrew. The #4011's were baffled piston, and the others flat topped piston. Until I see pictures, that's all I have to offer.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 06:08:37 PM »
It may be a late model ABC K&B 40 and those rings are actually oil grooves. Look closely.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline RDJeff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 10:13:20 PM »
Okay, thanks to all you guys, and some good drawings on the MECOA site, I've determined that this engine is a 4050.  It seems the three rings I was seeing are the oil grooves that Pete suggested.  I probed them with a pin, and they are definitely grooves.  The cylinder liner has the brass look to it too.

After looking more closely at the engine, I can see that it isn't lightly used, it's brand new.  I'm feeling better about my $40 investment!   #^

NOw, How do you think it'll do in the Thunderbird?

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 04:16:37 AM »
Hi, Jeff - at this point, a test is worth 1000 expert opinions!

Try it in the T'bird and see how you like it. If it runs away, first try extra head shims and if that does not work, do the "hemi-head" trick.

I would avoid cutting the sleeve since messing with a chrome/brass interface could result in the plating peeling.

Bob Z.

Offline David Zwolak

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 08:06:34 AM »
I have one of the K&B 40 ABC Stunt engines and they run fine.  Leave it with the stock venturi and head spacer (0.030" if I am not mistaken).  No mods or hemi needed.  Box stock.  Prop is a 11x4 or 11x5.  And....  the real trick for me is to run it on 15% nitro fuel.  5% or 10% did not give as sweet a break.  The 15% nitro really helped it.

Contact MEOCA for the CL parts if yours is an RC engine.  The internals are the same between the CL and RC.  Keep the T-bird light if that is the intended airplane.  The K&B 40 ABC is one of my favorites.  Work with it.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 02:29:31 PM »
Well, you can be pretty certain that the T-bird will NOT be tailheavy. I ran a K&B #4055 (the CL version of yours) in a Humongus, and it wasn't enough suds. The .46LA worked MUCH better and it's lighter.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 03:29:28 PM »
Windy used that K&B 40 in the prototype profile Cardinal.  Ran well, after he putzed with mufflers and props
for a while. Ended up using, as I recall, a very wide blade wood prop, like a 11x6 wide cut down to 10" or so.
Did the job adequately, not a powerhouse, but not bad at all.  Dave Z. has good set-up info, follow his
guidelines.   
ama 72090

Offline RDJeff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 09:31:08 PM »
Well, I managed to run about 24 ounces of fuel through the engine today, and I was quite pleased with the way it ran.  I used some 12% fuel with a 50/50 oil mix in it, and used a 10X6 Master Airscrew, I ran it right around the 2/4 break for most of the time, and got as high as 11,500 rpm for short bursts.  The break-in run was done in about 5 stages, with full cool-down in between.  This thing runs great!

I also broke-in a new O.S. FP40 on the same prop and fuel, and it got up to 12,000 in short bursts.  It seemed happier to be running in a lean condition, and didn't have much of a 2/4  break like the K&B did.  It also ran half again longer on a tank of fuel... ???

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 06:57:28 PM »
I have flow K&B 4011's a good bit.  Mine was plenty of power for my Humongous with Sig Champion 10% nitro 20% 50/50 oil, and APC 11 x 5 prop.  I don't think the ABC stunt engine is quite as powerful, but that is based on a small amount of observation. 

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 11:52:30 PM »
Windy used that K&B 40 in the prototype profile Cardinal.  Ran well, after he putzed with mufflers and props
for a while. Ended up using, as I recall, a very wide blade wood prop, like a 11x6 wide cut down to 10" or so.
Did the job adequately, not a powerhouse, but not bad at all.  Dave Z. has good set-up info, follow his
guidelines.   

Hi Bill,

Those ABC "Stunt" engines were made for Brodak as you know.  His first entry into the "engine arena".  IIRC, the Stunt ABC was set up by the boys from Norfolk: John Tate, Willis Swindell, Mike Garmon.

Stan Powell used to build engines for Les McDonald WC Stiletto, and Dave Hemstraught's PT 19, plus his own Dove.  When they first came out, Stan said they were "OK", but could use a touch of work, PaPa Dave H. had one in his PT .19 and seemed to work well, but I don't know if Stan breathed on it.  I did set up one of the ringed engines per Stan's specs, but haven't run it yet....... ;D

We have a NIB ABC one that I bought for Aaron when they first hit the market, gonna eventually use it!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here