News:

• May 07, 2024, 10:24:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MVVS 49 Akrobat exhaust.  (Read 2856 times)

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
MVVS 49 Akrobat exhaust.
« on: February 21, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »
Hi all,
just looking at my MVVS 49 stunt engine and was wondering about the standard side exhaust canister and if I could do better.

These engines are capable of rotating their upper cylinders around to any 90º angle and at the moment it is indeed a side exhaust.

But I have the chance to put a new cylinder and liner in it and so regain the rear exhaust configuration, now MVVS do make an exhaust stub and a mini pipe for the MVVS 51 but I don't know if this would suit the 49 or even if it is still available and anyway this is a slip on setup that could be prone to leakage down the track. Their quarter wave mini pipe seems to gain power even without the use of a long pylon racer style header pipe and has a very unusual sound.

So, I am asking if anyone knows of a source of rear exhaust stubs and exhausts for this engine? (Maybe something like a RO Jett exhaust header pipe if the bolt hole configuration could be made to suit or even a full length tuned pipe.)

Thanks in advance.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: MVVS 49 Akrobat exhaust.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »
If you are looking for headers first I'd check with Randy Smith to see if he has any in stock. They can also be found at Mac's Products. The .49 is not listed but the 40R is, PN 3472. I believe they are interchangeable but you might confirm that before ordering.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 07:06:56 PM »
Hi all,
just looking at my MVVS 49 stunt engine and was wondering about the standard side exhaust canister and if I could do better.

These engines are capable of rotating their upper cylinders around to any 90º angle and at the moment it is indeed a side exhaust.

But I have the chance to put a new cylinder and liner in it and so regain the rear exhaust configuration, now MVVS do make an exhaust stub and a mini pipe for the MVVS 51 but I don't know if this would suit the 49 or even if it is still available and anyway this is a slip on setup that could be prone to leakage down the track. Their quarter wave mini pipe seems to gain power even without the use of a long pylon racer style header pipe and has a very unusual sound.

So, I am asking if anyone knows of a source of rear exhaust stubs and exhausts for this engine? (Maybe something like a RO Jett exhaust header pipe if the bolt hole configuration could be made to suit or even a full length tuned pipe.)

Thanks in advance.

Hi Chris

I have both headers and mufflers and  CF pipes for the motor, It will run very well on a CF pipe, I have setup several of them, Matter of fact I just sold my last MVVS 49 last month

Randy

Offline fred krueger

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Chris,

I constructed my own rear exhaust muffler for my MVVS49.  I have actually made 3 versions.  The last 2 versions used a MVVS exhaust header and a mouse can.  The last one split the header pipe and used a silicone coupler.  This has eliminated the failure at the exhaust flange.  You can see (and hear) the results at:
http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=380&highlight=

Fred

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 01:07:10 PM »
Chris,

I constructed my own rear exhaust muffler for my MVVS49.  I have actually made 3 versions.  The last 2 versions used a MVVS exhaust header and a mouse can.  The last one split the header pipe and used a silicone coupler.  This has eliminated the failure at the exhaust flange.  You can see (and hear) the results at:
http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=380&highlight=

Fred

Hi Fred

How quiet is the Can muffler you made? Have you ran it  or any others for any length of time?

regards
Randy

Offline fred krueger

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 02:39:01 PM »
Randy,

I have perhaps 10 flights on the muffler before Winter set in.  I did the engine break-in (1 to 2 hours) with the previous (identical) muffler with no noticeable degradation of the muffler.  However, the header failed near the mounting flange after a couple flights.  I then made another, identical unit with the header separated from the muffler with a silicone tube (like a tuned pipe setup).  I think that cured the problem.

Not having a sound pressure meter I can only give you a relative noise level.  I think it is slightly louder than a Retro 60, which is fairly quiet.  During the break-in period, I posted a video of a bench run of this engine.  There was considerable interest in that, so I posted the first full pattern as well.  You can hear the engine run pretty well during the pattern:

Fred
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:30:58 PM by Fred Krueger »

Offline Norvaldo

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 06:42:34 PM »
Maybe you guys can help out the guy on 'the other' (Stuka forum).
http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=367929&mesg_id=367929&page=

Most answers to him are babble about Diesels and vibrations...

Norvald Olsvold

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 11:47:08 AM »
I've tried to no avail. ::)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Norvaldo

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 11:52:21 AM »
You may need to login..
Norvald Olsvold

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 01:31:02 PM »
No, they have been posted. I think he is looking more for attention than advice.  :-\
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Norvaldo

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 01:34:53 PM »
Ahh.. Ok..
Norvald Olsvold

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 04:00:22 PM »
I think he is looking more for attention than advice.  :-\

I would have to agree with that. :)
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 05:49:24 PM »
No doubt in my mind. He did this same thing a few years ago when he was supposedly building something else. I think he called it the "Bamboo Bomber". After a few hundred questions he faded away.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Norvaldo

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 10:38:34 AM »
I should have noticed he was veird.
Power enough for a 36" model?
LOL
Norvald Olsvold

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »
I should have noticed he was veird.
Power enough for a 36" model?
LOL
I was assuming that was a typo mistake and really should have been a "63" model.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 06:11:24 PM »
...that needs a custom fuel tank 2.5" long by 1" deep by 2.5" wide and after re-reading the post, planned design has a 36" fuselage length, 55" wingspan. Don't know a standard tank couldn't be made to work. ::)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 06:14:25 PM »
...that needs a custom fuel tank 2.5" long by 1" deep by 2.5" wide..... ::)
Perfectly fine for a free flight model!
MAAA AUS 73427

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here