News:

• April 23, 2024, 04:17:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine mount plate - what grade aluminum?  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Engine mount plate - what grade aluminum?
« on: October 29, 2022, 02:45:59 PM »
I'm starting a new build and the ship (Stills Victory) was designed for an Atwood 60, this engine is 1 1/2" wide, I was looking to use a more current engine that is about 1 5/16" wide so I am thinking I could use a mount plate that will be tap for the engine and bolt to the normal 3/8" mounts. I'm thinking 1/8" aluminum but don't know what grade would work for tapping 4/40 bolts. Anyone do this? What grade aluminum will work best?

Best,   DennisT

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Engine mount plate - what grade aluminum?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 02:55:20 PM »
I have aluminum sheet and strips from my local Ace Hardware with no problems.    D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 03:31:08 PM »
I'm starting a new build and the ship (Stills Victory) was designed for an Atwood 60, this engine is 1 1/2" wide, I was looking to use a more current engine that is about 1 5/16" wide so I am thinking I could use a mount plate that will be tap for the engine and bolt to the normal 3/8" mounts. I'm thinking 1/8" aluminum but don't know what grade would work for tapping 4/40 bolts. Anyone do this? What grade aluminum will work best?

Best,   DennisT

I would think 6061-t6 would be OK. For reference, it appears that a typical California "stop" sign, and other road signs,  are 7075 of some variety - extremely tough. Not that I would ever suggest going out and removing a mile marker just to get a model-sized sample of very high-quality aluminum, of course. I mean, that belongs to the government, tax-paying citizens.

I would certainly not recommend tapping into typical hardware-store grade aluminum. Most of it is anodized, so hard on the surface, but is dead-soft inside. I have no idea what grade it is.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 11:06:14 PM »
   The Victory, if I remember correctly, had a relatively short nose and the choice of two tail moment lengths. Depending in how long you build the tail and how light it's construction is, and factoring in that you are not going to use the heavier .60 size ignition engine and components that they require, you may be needing some nose weight, in which case you may want to consider making your engine mounting plate from a piece of 1/8" thick steel. You can build the model, and get through most of the finishing stages and then mock up the engine mount and see where you are for balance at that point. If needing nose weight, go with steel. Get it all drilled and taped, clean thoroughly, and then a good paint job. If weight isn't needed or desired, then go with the aluminum. The sheets that K&S sells in several thicknesses should do the job and is pretty hard but will still allow drilling and taping. In my work, when repairing an aluminum machine part that I was concerned about a tapped hole holding up, I would make and install a steel threaded insert out of a proper size steel screw, thread the plate for that and JB-Weld that in place. If you don't have access to a lathe, that can still be done with a steady hand and some care. Another possibility is making the mount out of 1/4" aircraft plywood. You might have to adjust the beam locations to get the engine center line correct. Goldberg Models ( I think ) used this method to mount engines in R/C trainers with the thought that in a crash, the plywood would break out and save the engine and the rest of the nose. I don't know how successful this was in the end but is worth consideration. The size of the mount that you would need isn't that big and what ever material you choose, it should be plenty stiff.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 06:35:04 AM »
As mentioned, the 6061 would most likely do the job for something like this but I went with 2024 alloy available from McMaster-Carr.  I usually use 3/16 thick, 1/4 might be overkill.

The 6061 would be my choice if I could not, for some reason, get the 2024.  The aluminum stock available in hardware stores is way too soft.  It might be OK for making gutters.  I fear the threads will strip out.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 08:31:46 PM »
How about just increasing those 3/8 x 1/2 maple bearers to 1/2 square?

If you're 100% sure you want aluminum pads, IMO the right way is to bolt the engine to the aluminum with countersunk flathead machine screws, with flat washers and elastic lock nuts on the engine lugs, and bolt the plates to the wood bearers. That's "The New Mexico" way, from Larry Cunningham of Mo'Best fame. 6061T6 would be good, 2024T4 would be fine, and 7075T3 also. The 7075 tends to corrode, but properly covered with castor oil, not a problem for our use.  :) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 12:36:11 AM »
…..
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 05:12:28 PM by Lauri Malila »

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 12:36:57 AM »
…….
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 05:12:03 PM by Lauri Malila »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here