News:

• May 08, 2024, 02:17:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adhesive choice for Sullivan plastic tanks?  (Read 1286 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Adhesive choice for Sullivan plastic tanks?
« on: October 10, 2013, 05:49:44 AM »
     Hi All:

I would like to "glue" copper tubing to the Sullivan plastic tanks. What brand or type of adhesive will work for this purpose?

I have been told to use a metal filled epoxy but I am not sure that epoxy will adhere to the plastic.  I have seen pictures of tanks that have the tubes glued through  the tanks and even some with the tubes glued to the outside of the tanks! How do they do this?

Any suggestions?

Tia,

Frank

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Adhesive choice for Sullivan plastic tanks?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
not sure I get what you are trying to accomplish,,
but
on my pylon racers I use " Shoe Goo" to adhere the tanks into the fuse so they dont move around, perhaps something like this would work for you
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:44:42 AM »
I have on several occasions cut a flap open on the back of a Hayes tank to install a bronzed filter pickup as it would not fit thru the front hole, trying to keep down the fuel foaming on profiles. Scuffed up the plastic and used JB Weld to glue back, so far all have held for a couple years. Also if you are just poking a fuel or vent line thru the plastic i would think silicone would hold it in place and seal if it wasn't being moved around all the time. Maybe JB would work for that also.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »
I have on several occasions cut a flap open on the back of a Hayes tank to install a bronzed filter pickup as it would not fit thru the front hole, trying to keep down the fuel foaming on profiles. Scuffed up the plastic and used JB Weld to glue back, so far all have held for a couple years. Also if you are just poking a fuel or vent line thru the plastic i would think silicone would hold it in place and seal if it wasn't being moved around all the time. Maybe JB would work for that also.

Pretty ingenious, but I have no success guing brass to plastic using JB Weld.  Plastic to plastic might work, aor my surface prep was lacking.

If it is a question of getting the vent tube somewhwe outside of the tank drill the fuse (on a profile) or a piece of plywood with short links of brass tubing and hook hook them up to the tank with some silicone tubing.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
Anyone tried silicon chaulk ... stuff is rugged when it sets up.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 04:26:54 PM »
There was an article in one of the magazines some years back about making fuel tanks from plastic bottles. The guy drilled a hole through the plastic to fit silicone fuel hose, then shoved the metal tubing through the silicon tube. It might work, but if you're using uniflow or muffler pressure, it really needs to seal 100% for a long time, or you'll have problems with consistent engine runs.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 05:17:24 PM »
Years ago Sullivan Products used to make an item to convert plastic bottles into R/C tanks. Basically a sharp awl a few thick rubber grommets and some plastic inner nyrod  material. Punch the hole where you wanted it put the tubing into the grommet and a little dab of silicone sealer and shove it into the hole. They were cheap and they worked reasonably well. It should not be too hard to fabricate something to do the same thing today.

dennis

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 08:57:49 AM »
The various Goop products stick well.  I glue plastic tanks to plywood plates and screw them to profiles.  So far so good.  Credit to Dave Royer for this idea.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 06:33:35 PM »
Get "Plumbers Goop". It is thinner than the others and works well for our purposes.

GA

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 05:59:13 AM »
 I use construction adhesive (liquid nails) to hold plastic tanks to profiles and it works very well.  Thick and gooey like calk, but with a very high bond strength.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 07:02:59 PM »
If you search in Google for welding plastic you will find several interesting videos of how to use a soldering iron to weld plastic. You could likely simply scuff the tubing, position then get some scrape tank plastic and use it like solder to attach the tubing.

I have seen plastic tanks extended by welding two short ones together to get the length they needed. Worked for uniflow with muffler pressure.

Best,      DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here