News:

• May 01, 2024, 09:58:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine "tightness" ?  (Read 533 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Engine "tightness" ?
« on: May 25, 2008, 02:05:33 PM »
Hi ,

I purchased a Ro-Jett .40 BSE RE about a year and a half ago and seems REALLY TIGHT when it comes close to BTDC .
I'm not in the habit of turning over dry engines and this is one where I won't try it , either .
It has been stored with a misting of light petroleum based oil , with silica gel packets in the box (should be dry, I'm thinking?).
Any thoughts , or input on what to expect when doing the break-in ?

Thanks ,

Rob K.
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Engine "tightness" ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »
That's a VERY GOOD fit for any ABC or AAC engine. It's very important to start the engine correctly (back flipping, bouncing it off compression and NOT grinding on it with an electric starter). It's also very important to run it in a rich 2 cycle, so it expands the cylinder and loosens the fit. Running it in a wet 4-cycle is death to the conrod.

One thing I would do is use a heat gun to heat the cylinder head, stretching the top of the cylinder bore, and loosening the fit for the first start. The RO-Jett instructions should provide good info on what prop, fuel, and NV setting to use. If you don't have them, contact RO or Dubb Jett.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here