News:

• April 24, 2024, 07:09:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric starter vs. chicken stick?????  (Read 794 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Electric starter vs. chicken stick?????
« on: October 31, 2018, 10:09:58 AM »
       Hi All:

While attempting to break in my new ABC p&c. I noticed that the electric starter would not start the engine but a few flips with a chicken stick would.  I have not experienced this until today with any engine. The electric starter would always instantly start an engine where as hand flipping would not.  The new p&c is tighter than a frog's butt when cold.  I preheat the engine via a heat gun to avoid the very hard pinch.  It is so tight that my Chrystal Ball showed me a broken crank pin.   Lol

What's up with the chicken stick starting the engine where as the electric starter refuses to even get a bump?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
Re: Electric starter vs. chicken stick?????
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 12:17:07 PM »
this could be out in left field, but I see this sometimes at the Free flight field where an engine wont start with a starter and I would go over and start it in one or 2 flips, .
  most of the time they are using a small single batt glo driver . I feel that the starter is over powering a weak glo driver and killing the plug .by hand starting it gives the plug time to clear itself out.  just my thoughts
rad racer

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 03:07:48 PM »
Yep, that happens, it's a good reason to use a separate battery for the starter, and with the amount of lipos kicking around the place, finding a 3S or 4S pack in a modellers gear is pretty commonplace. May as well use them!
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 03:41:13 PM »
    Yes, the glow at the plug diminishes when the starter is engaged rendering it useless.  Does this indicate that I need a new 12v battery for my field box?

Thanks for the replies,

Frank McCune

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 06:10:50 PM »
  if I good recharge dosent help than yes time for a new battery
rad racer

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 07:09:45 PM »
Since I have suggested the use of a heat gun several times on SH, WAY TO GO! After some bench runs, it'll be ok and start any way you prefer. Can't say how many, but "some"!

Don't run it too rich! Doing that will knock the rod bearings out, or even break the rod. You need to run it lean enough and hot enough to expand the cylinder, loosening the piston fit. A rich 2 cycle is perfect. A "comforter" around the head will help on some engines, but only those that have the head protrude down into the cylinder...and a snug slip fit, NOT a sloppy fit. Newer designs tend to not have that feature (ST G.51, Magnum XLS/ASP), which I think is bad, but they do work.

What engine are you referring to?   ??? Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here