News:

• May 21, 2024, 11:56:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito 30 Break In  (Read 513 times)

Offline Dan Labine

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Saito 30 Break In
« on: June 08, 2008, 05:49:42 AM »
I bought a Saito 30S from Kaz Minato last year and am getting ready to install it in a Brodak Magician. Unfortunately the instructions that come with the engine are in Japenese... Can some one tell me how to break this engine in? Are they the same as the 56? What fuel should I use etc etc...Any help is much appreciated.. Thanks in advance..

Dan..
Dan
MAAC 14300

Alan Hahn

Re: Saito 30 Break In
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 04:24:43 PM »
Go to the Horizon Hobbies web site and click the Saito Engine link. They have (or had) an instruction booklet on the Saito engines. It is true that these are RC versions, but it does give break-in instructions. The only difficulty will be achieving the low rpm settings with the control line venturi. I know I throttled back and ran rich. With the CL venturi, you can only richen the mixture, but I am not sure this is a good way to get that low a rpm--I would maybe be a little worried about too much fuel. You might also have to keep the glow plug driver attached.

Also it is a good idea to change the plug after the break-in. If the included plug is expensive, you might consider doing the break-in with a cheaper plug.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »
Actually they also have an addendum to the 4s manual for CL. Here is a copy paste of the breakin instructions from that addendum manual (you should still go and download both manuals).

"Starting the Engine
Please refer to the Break-in and Starting Instructions on page 4 and 5 of the “Small-Medium Single
Cylinder 4-Stroke Engine Instructions (SAIMAN1).” Since the venturi system uses only the High
Speed Needle valve (85) to control the rich/lean mixture of the engine, we suggest using 4 ˝ to 5
turns out from the fully closed position of the needle valve. You want to be sure you have a rich
mixture setting when first starting the engine.
Do not exceed 4,000 rpm during the first 10 minutes of operation. Subsequent runs may be made at
a slightly leaner setting. Forty minutes is considered sufficient time for normal break-in prior to the
first flight."

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 05:55:42 PM »
That is close to what OS inst. on the first 60 open rocker 4 stroke said. They said to run the engine wide open but reduce revs with the needle down to around 4000. Should work just fine.
Jim Kraft

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here