News:

• April 25, 2024, 03:17:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Double Star 54 Front Bearing  (Read 528 times)

Offline Rick Campbell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Double Star 54 Front Bearing
« on: November 26, 2022, 12:39:19 PM »
A friend was having a bit of trouble with his DS54 running consistently. Now that we've had a chance to poke at it, the tank had a leak, so that'll get fixed.

The front end of the engine was leaking air when tested submerged in fuel. Normal? Should we look to replacing the front bearing with a sealed unit? Boca bearing does not list this engine. Anyone know what bearing fits? Thanks.

Offline Brian Stas

• 23 supporter
  • Ensign
Re: Double Star 54 Front Bearing
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 02:33:46 PM »
Rick, If you've got it out, measure it, it'll be metric of course.  At the Boca Bearing site you can look it up by size and they have what you need.  I just rebuilt 8 engines with bearings from them.  You can choose the type of seal as well.  They ship fast.
Brian

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 07:16:09 PM »
Generally , if its got fuel leaking from the prop drive , its looseing fuel , and the consuptions higher , flights shorter . AND its messy . Which is whay a sealed bearings pretty much a standard fit these days . Pe Oil ! .

You dont want a dry seal in anything . Particularly water pumps - You drop anti freeze on the seal & spin . Try something similar - See its lubed - as theres less circulation up there with it atmospherically sealed .

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 04:15:29 PM »
Can you describe the way the engine was tested for the 'leak' out the front? 

A reasonable amount of leakage is to be expected and ensures that the front bearing is getting its ration of oil. If it's severe, then get a new sealed bearing and remove the inboard seal before installation. I've done it, but I don't know how long the seal would do your buddy any good. I did it on an early K&B .40 front intake for FF, the front bearing was bad, and I happened to have a sealed bearing that fit. It helped keep the dirt out more than the oil in. y1 Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here