News:

• May 01, 2024, 04:05:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Double Star .40 questions....  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Double Star .40 questions....
« on: August 12, 2006, 11:47:35 PM »
I've recently started flying a Profile Cavalier with a DS .40. Any setup info for this engine would be useful. I got it slightly used, but it looks to have a stock venturi, which looks very small. I can make venturii, and expect something like .285" would work better than whatever is in there. It came with an old TF 11-5 paddle blade, and it doesn't work very well at this point, with the venturi it has. The model came from fairly high altitude, so I'm expecting to need a bigger fuel tank. How much fuel do you burn, what venturi bore, at what altitude and how much nitro%? Thanks in advanced, Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Double Star .40 questions....
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 12:03:42 PM »
I run mine mostly stock, in a 42 ounce Nobler.  Prop, 10x6 rev-up extra wide, or modified Zinger xtra wide 10x6, extensively cleaned up.  Can also run Powerpoint 11x6 cut down to about 10.5.  Two head shims, Powermaster 10/18 fuel, Sig 003 plug.  Runs about 6:45 at Sea level on 4 oz fuel.  Compared to my DS 60 the 40 is very picky about overheating, albeit many have fixed this it would seem by going to a larger venturi.  Mine still has the stock venturi....

Steve
Steve

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 09:48:32 PM »
From Tom Dixon:  add two to three head shims depending on the amount of nitro you want to use.  The DS 40 was set up to run on FAI (no nitro) fuel.  (Tom is the one who has the DS line of engines made and imports them)

I found out that the stock venturi gives less choke area than a stock Fox 35.  If you want anything approaching the power the engine can give, go to a bigger venturi. 

Tom gave me a pro he used on his DS 40 in his Nobler for a while.  It is a 10 1/2 X 5 wood of unknow origin, but probably a bigger Zinger cut down and shaped.

Stock "OOB" they are not much more than a good stock Fox 35, and real finiky if you use any nitro.  With the mods above, you will get a pretty decent "40" out of the deal.  Especially if you like a deep 4-2 run.  Stevie boy doesn't believe what this "old man" (with over 43 years of flying) tells him, but that's what really brings the DS 40 alive.   y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 09:48:25 AM »
I believe you Bear, just been too lazy to pull the plane off the wall and work on it!  It has been sitting since its last flight at brodaks while I mess with the big planes.  I even have, courtesy of Jim Svitko, a "special" venturi to put in there! #^
Steve

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 11:34:56 AM »
Steve,

Sorry can't resist, ".15" lines"  %^ you're gonna need a much bigger engine  #^
Yup, Yup, that's what he said.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Bob Kruger

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 05:43:30 PM »
I've recently started flying a Profile Cavalier with a DS .40. Any setup info for this engine would be useful. I got it slightly used, but it looks to have a stock venturi, which looks very small. I can make venturii, and expect something like .285" would work better than whatever is in there. It came with an old TF 11-5 paddle blade, and it doesn't work very well at this point, with the venturi it has. The model came from fairly high altitude, so I'm expecting to need a bigger fuel tank. How much fuel do you burn, what venturi bore, at what altitude and how much nitro%? Thanks in advanced, Steve

Steve;

Len Neumann made the venturi for mine, as it was an early one.  I use an old TF 11-5 cut down to 10.5.-5, 10% nitro fuel, 22% lube, one extra head gasket.  It will pull an Oriental nicely on 60' lines - I might be able to add a couple of feet.  Much less vibration than my old Fox 35s.

V/r

Bob
Bob Kruger
AMA 42014

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here