News:

• April 24, 2024, 06:06:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Diesel Fuel  (Read 1890 times)

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Diesel Fuel
« on: December 01, 2018, 01:46:23 PM »
Any ideas for sources of Diesel fuel?

Thanks, Bob Z.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Diesel Fuel
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 03:46:07 PM »
   I think you can still buy it from Doctor Diesel or Davis Diesel. I think most guys mix their own in small amounts because it generally does not keep long term.  The hard intermediate to find is ether and the usual method is buying John Deere starting fluid and getting it that way.  You might try some of the bigger fuel suppliers also.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 04:36:40 PM »
Bob,
Great to have a partner in crime that likes diesel. What engine are you running? If fixed compression (i.e. Drone Diesel) you run different fuel then more current engines. For fixed compression the fuel is 75% ether/25% 25 SAE mineral oil (you need this to calm down the ether to prevent detonation), no kero or ignition improver. the best source for high ether starter fluid is John Deer SF.

For engines with VC heads you can use a mix of 35% ether, 25% oil, 2% cetane improver with the balance kero. Dr. Diesel fuel will work great or you can mix some starter fluid fuel. For this you can use any starter fluid that is high in ether. Simple way to tell is look at the list of components, if the ether is listed first it has more that 50%, heptane is the balance and pretty much just like kero. Just figure oil to be 25%, then the rest is the starter fluid. Since there is no kerosene you need to use 70/30 25 SAE mineral oil/castor (the mineral oil calms the ether down to prevent detonation).

To get the ether out of the can you can by first inverting the can and spraying out the propellant, put the can in the freezer for half hour then respray out any remaining propellant. Then take an ice pick and push it through the top of the can in a couple times with one on the opposite side as a vent. Pour out the liquid and you are good to go.

If running a Drone there are some simple tricks to get it to run with power and smooth. First is to get the right prop. The original prop from Drone was an 11x10 war club, some use 12x8's. The Drone run at a blazing 6700 rpm (I think this hold even for a shaft run). Next understand that needling the Drone is reverse or what you would think. The manufactures instruction says to OPEN the needle to smooth the run. They actually say to open it until it quits then close 1/4 turn in and fly. I have one in a Guided Whistle and use a uniflow tank with no problem.

If running a modern diesel they run high rpm, Dr Diesel site (http://www.cafes.net/doctordiesel/) has a lot of information on running PAW's (just remember to use either bare maple mounts or if hard mounts put 1/32" plywood crush pads under the mounts lugs). If you want to go burry eyes about diesel here is the website for you http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/

Best,   DennisT
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:30:05 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 06:15:44 PM »
Davis Diesel fuel dose not have any DII in it

u need an account with Fisher Chemicals to buy either
rad racer

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
 Bob,
What engine are you running and what plane?

Best,  DennisT

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 12:54:04 PM »
You can check with Al Heinrich, aerodyneal@aol.com. Got diesel fuel from him earlier this year. I do know Al is recovering from medical issues so I'm not sure he's back to work.

Norm

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 02:51:27 PM »
Forgot about Aerodyne .I used it in Portugal in a nelson 15 and a PAW 09 it ran very good, very consistent Rad
rad racer

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 04:10:00 PM »
Hi, Guys - thanks for all the great responses.
Dennis - I have no particular Diesel* in mind.
I have around 100 Diesel* engines and just feel like experimenting a bit.
I WILL NOT deal with dr Diesel under any circumstances.

Bob Z.

* Not really Diesels as they do not operate on the Diesel cycle.
Compression Ignition is more apropos.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 12:40:23 PM »
Bob,
I think that diesel is the "ultimate" electric. My only problem is with the residual fuel smell (not the raw ether). I think this is from the Kero. I am trying to find a fuel mix that doesn't have that diesel bus smell that get into the clothes and car. That is why I have been working to see if just the ether/oil mix will work from the starter fluid. The hard core diesel guys seem to say "if it doesn't smell like a bus it an't diesel so they haven't tried anything with less residual aromatics. Some have tried adding scent to the fuel but that just makes you smell like flowers just as bad as the kero (maybe worst).

The other plus is that in OTS you get a 5 point bonus for diesel which then allows you to use a flapped ship ( this off sets the no flap 5 point bonus) so you are at a neutral score. Could fly some interesting ships this way. I have flown the PAW 2.5cc in competition at KOI and place with my Ringmaster. I didn't have the overrun problem that some have had. I really like the Drone 29 diesel. I want to get it working for this falls Palmetto contest if I can, just need some time to test and get the right fuel.

Best,   DennisT

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 07:54:17 AM »
Hi, Dennis.
A friend of mine runs his VW Diesel on home heating oil and it runs quite well.
I don't know if the energy values are similar but it might be worth a try.

Bob Z.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 04:10:32 PM »
Hi, Dennis.
A friend of mine runs his VW Diesel on home heating oil and it runs quite well.
I don't know if the energy values are similar but it might be worth a try.

Bob Z.

Said to be same stuff as they sell at gas stations, except for a different dye color. Highly illegal, and if caught the fine for your friend will be significant. $10k seems to stick in my mind. The home heating oil will work fine for compression ignition model engines, but I doubt if there will be a difference in the scent. Lamp oil might be an alternative that doesn't smell nearly as bad, but it would take some research to find out if there's a loss of power or economy.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 06:19:08 PM »
I have used regular K-1 kerosene sold for lamps and stoves in diesels. It runs fine—but it definitely smells like a diesel.  I was using Sunnyside brand sold by Ace Hardware. They don’t seem to carry that brand anymore, but Amazon has it for about $23 per gallon.

But Ace did have something that looked interesting. An “odorless” alternative from Klean-Strip called Klean Heat. Looks like it is around $13 a gallon. (Depending on where you buy it from $13 to $25.) The label says it has less sulphur. The MSDS says it is 100% hydrotreated light petroleum distillate. Which makes it sound like it is refined from oil, and not a synthetic? The NIOSH sheet lists it as a paraffin (which is what the Brits call kerosene.)

If you have a robust engine that you aren’t in love with, it would be interesting to try a fuel batch using this stuff. Imagine if stinky diesels didn’t stink!

Dave

Ref.:
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=kleen+heat&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=78408975661082&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4xfcl1n90x_e
http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/documents/GKKHH99991_SDS-LL1994.pdf
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 06:53:10 PM by Dave Hull »

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 09:10:18 PM »
Sunny side  K1 is the best of the store bought Kero if u can find it. gas station Ksro works good if u can find that  .lamp oils have extra stuff added to it
rad racer

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here