News:

• June 01, 2024, 08:09:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S.T. G51 Fuel ?  (Read 597 times)

Offline Robin_Holden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
S.T. G51 Fuel ?
« on: June 23, 2020, 02:14:56 PM »
Hi from North Yorkshire , England.

Advice please regarding the best fuel for my (original Italian ) Super Tigre G51 Stunt , which was transformed by Mr Tom Dickson
Into the best stunt engine in my possession.

I’ve been laid up for 18 months or so , ailments , and have just got back into the groove
My G51 was carefully run in , but hasn’t been used for a while. It’s currently lodged in a profile Cardinal.

So , what fuel would you recommend ?
What proportion of synthetic to castor ?

It does like a Graupner 12 x 5.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Regards ,

Robin.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: S.T. G51 Fuel ?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 07:11:14 PM »
50/50 . though all castors fine . Tom Dixon regards castor as doubling the ring life .

Generall concensus is 18 % total , or a stutter / stagger from residue in the backplate peripharyacumulates and clears causeing this .

fine on no nitro , maybe even best . Though a prime of ' nitro fuel ' in cold weather will wake it up easier .

5 or 10 % Nitro . or 3 to 10  % . Maybe  extra gasket or two . But Dixon'd be a Hemi'd head , so likely unnessesary .

Theyre actually vary durable . Ran a good ten gallons of all sorts  through one . Including one of stale sig ' F A I  juice . Maybe double that.
Recent strip & clean , the ring was at a tight 5 thou. gap . An Italian version .

ADDED : ( see next post ) needs a few gallons through it before its ' loosened off ' a bit . !

They run good on the silent muffler ( as does a Merco 49 ) if youve the room & need noseweight . lots of power .

For setting , theres 3/4 turn , solid 4 to solid 2 . Wind it into the solid 2 slowly , then back 1/4 turn , usually gets ' the good ' setting .
Just going in from the 4 , your usually cautious and end up short / rich . Too Far .Get it into a steady clean two stroke, then back it off into a even gnarly 1/2 n 1/2 run.

a good tank 7&itll just switch through at 45 degrees , opening it out a tad and you can get it just into the switch across the top of the circle .Of if its a gale , in till
its pulling say halfway up the loops . Should cut in & out dead on the same hight. or try another tank . Usually use baffled wedge corner uniflow .

Maybe Enya 3 for cold fuel . ST plugs seems good for all fuel . maybe enya 4 with nitro .
The little std 46 muffler , with the tailpipe cut off is a good muffler for them . You can butcher the fins and nose a bit for streamlining .

Further to . . . Here in Aus, Prefered cool power , Syn & Castor . 50/50 , maybe 18 % winter , 20 % summer . Nitro accoring to taste , unnessesary , really . But likely a small syringe
to meter ' nitro fuel ' prime , if cold weather or competition . Sometimes hot weather needs it, you see Urtnowski hitting them with lighter fluid instead , for the same reason .
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 10:20:46 AM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 07:54:00 PM »
My (Italian) G51 was horrible at first using 20% all castor and no nitro by going from a 4 stroke to a screaming 2 stroke if the nose lifted more than 1 degree (a slight exaggeration :) ) and took 2 level laps to come back to a 4 stroke. After a month of head scratching and much experimenting it dawned on me that it was extremely economical so not enough oil flow to control the temperature. I switched to 25% all castor and it was suddenly a brilliant engine. Rock steady 4 stroke from start to finish with a Zinger 12x5 prop and 80cc of fuel for a 6 minute flight.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 11:46:23 AM »
Hi  Use  23 %  oil   with  half synthetic, The ring will last longer  on that brew  than  with 18%  or  all castor   Hint  18%  is  not enough oil  for that to cycle  correctly,
100s  of  people  use this  brew in their  ST51s   and  many other  ST ring engines
Randy

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 10:57:37 PM »
  Robin,
 I ran pretty much what Randy suggested. Mine was set up by George Aldrich , ran an Eather Flat back , wide , 11.7- 4.5 prop at 9,900 rpm Gary Nelson's were set up by Tom Lay, I believe ( 30 years ago) Gary used 24% all Castor with a Graupner 12-5 his were maybe the strongest, best running Italian Tigers I've seen. Better than mine. Later I dabbled with fuels , props & on a pipe. Mine wouldn't run on all castor.
  John L.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here