News:

• April 16, 2024, 02:00:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Deaing with the Detent  (Read 967 times)

Online Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Deaing with the Detent
« on: November 29, 2021, 08:36:53 AM »
So, I'm playing around with Veco / K&B NVAs, like some of the ones offered on the Veco .19.  Kind of similar to certain O.S. and Fox NVAs, in that there is a folded piece of metal that serves as a detent, held by a nut. 

What is the best way to turn and/or hold the nut?

I've used needle nose pliers held outside, along the length of the NVA.  This process seems less than ideal.  Another idea is to fold the detent back, use a deep well socket, then re-tension the detent. This is a bad idea, especially on O.S., as the detent is brittle.

Thoughts?

thanks,

Peter 

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Deaing with the Detent
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 08:49:30 AM »
  Hi Peter;
   Figure out what size the nut is, then try a nut driver. I bout some of Jim Lee's tools for this. H has them is several sizes. Some are made from sockets that are turned down to clear those spring clips. I use the turned down sockets on the spring clip side, and use a normal socket or what ever I need on the fuel inlet side and tighten them down after positioning them. If the spring gets tweaked a bit you can still tweak them back. I hope this is clear enough. Jim uses store bought 1/4" drive socket and installs a a knurled aluminum handle on them with a hole in the end if you need to put a wire or something through it for extra torque. I got 1/4" and 5.5mm from him and that seems to take care of most OS,. Super Tigre, and some other needle have assemblies. Great tools! Check out his web site and see if he has photos on there of them.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 09:16:29 AM »
Dan,

Thanks.  The turned down sockets sound good, as do just the right nut drivers.  Or, I can always convert to using an ST NVA.  Hopefully, my Veco 19s will not need venturi drilling to fit ST NVAs.

Peter

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 10:08:02 PM »
NAUGHTY !

A 8 or 12 inch Crescent , end on . TIP . for your nuts . or vice grip . :-X :(

Means back & Forwarding a bit , tightening the spray bar , nut held , till the holes are right , with the final tweak maybe, at the nut .

This is ON THE BENCH . in the plane clearance wont help .Maybe carve of the top lump on a shifter in a grinder , for that . Or weld up & harden something . Or a TUBE SPANNER .

theres  one &  two hole spray bars . Some two may be not 180 d. so set low / under .

Easy to tweak the tin bracket outa shape . a Favourite 4 or 6 in tight unwobly shifter for ' just that ' that clamps its tips unwobbly and is narrower than between clip blades 1  :P

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here