News:

• April 25, 2024, 04:58:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Curing the Fox Burp  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Gary Dowler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Curing the Fox Burp
« on: August 14, 2021, 10:49:02 PM »
So I got a brand new, still in the box, 40th Fox 35 to replace my worn out one on this Cobra Paul gave me last fall. Something I could not diagnose was going on with the old one, costing me most of the practice time I had this summer.  So I replaced it.

New engine suffered terribly from the Fox burp. Old one never did this to any appreciable degree, so this was new to me.  Spoke to Paul about it and he described stuffing a shim in the intake port.  I found a great post on here about doing this, and set about the task.

Got it done. Test runs showed it needed a much more open needle setting, otherwise it seemed fine. Got out today with it and……..WOW!  THAT is how a Fox is supposed to run!!!!   Better power, flawless 4-2-4 run, absolutely zero burp or hesitation.  It was amazing.  It ran like all those Fox’s that won all those contests way back when.

Happy fella here!

Gary

Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Curing the Fox Burp
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 12:19:40 AM »
all those Fox’s that won all those contests way back when - burped
Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 07:11:52 AM »
Isn’t it a side-mounted problem mostly? L
Can't talk for others but I ran Fox 35's from '61 till '76 when I switched to OS and I had only one that didn't burp.  It was one reworked by Fox in '64.  I also can't remember one quitting after a burp.  Just got used to it. 

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 07:36:33 AM »
Mr.Gary,

I have only one Fox .35, but would like a better understanding of the care and feeding of this thing.

Got pics of your work? Can you provide links to the thread(s) that provided your knowledge base?

Thanks much!

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 07:50:29 AM »
 Most will not like this answer. I never had the burp until i started to use uniflow tanks. I stopped using them and proublem went away
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 08:31:53 AM »
Mr.Gary,

I have only one Fox .35, but would like a better understanding of the care and feeding of this thing.

Got pics of your work? Can you provide links to the thread(s) that provided your knowledge base?

Thanks much!
Hi. Here’s a screen shot of the picture provided in the topic in here about the problem.  I used hard balsa rather than hardwood is the only difference.
Should be able search this this engine forum for “Fox Burp”.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 08:33:42 AM »
This one is partway between side and inverted. Cylinder points down to about the 4:30 position.

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 10:16:08 AM »

A myth in my experience. The worst burp I had was in an All American Sr with upright mount and standard vent tank. It burped/quit on a small radius outside from inverted and crashed. My profiles burp and the only way I deal with it is to open up the outsides. No uniflo tanks here and no difference with my hemi & stuffer bp either.
Bill P.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 11:37:40 AM »

Yes. Of course, queue up the "it never happens" stories, the "it's the tank" stories, and "it's supposed to do that" stories. I have seen it burp, crash, destroy the airplane, and still have the unfortunate owner come off the circle with a paper bag full of balsa raving about how great those Fox 35s run. Telling someone their Fox 35 isn't the greatest engine of all time (and would still win every contest if the judges weren't biased against it) is goring the ultimate ox. Also queue up questioning the patriotism of anyone who says otherwise - even if you won the NATs with an engine made 514 mile due south of Fort Smith.

It works unmodified *just often enough* to provide the positive reinforcement that there really isn't a problem.

Of course, there are *other* issues that can cause engines to quit, particular with a giant venturi and no compression, that explains most of the upright/inverted issues. Engines that quit unexpectedly from multiple undefined reasons are not "the greatest engine ever made".

Still, correcting the very obvious defect, as Gary did, hurts nothing and causes otherwise no problems, so, no reason not to do it and remove that as a source of problems.

Brett

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 08:56:23 AM »
      Hello All:

What Brett stated was spot on!  A friend of mine has the only the only good Fox .35 that I have ever seen.  The remainder were junk.

My cure for the problems with my Fox .35 engines were an electric starter and a 9x6 prop run in a wet 2 cycle.  The best cure was replacing the Fox with an OS .35 Stunt.  Those engines are great.  As a matter of fact, perhaps replacing the Fox with just about any other engine is a step up.

Stay well,

Frank

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 11:09:15 AM »
The remainder were junk.
Not all, just the ones from the hobby shop.  I had the fortune to have Duke Fox take notice of troubles I was having getting a decent run at the 1964 NATS.  He asked if he could have it for a bit and see if he could make it run better.  Whatever he did made that motor run like a well oiled burp free sewing machine for the rest of it's life.  From 1975 through 1979 I flew with Gieseke several times a week.  I don't think he got his from the Hobby Shop either.  When the OS35s became popular, I got two and even they outperformed Bob's Foxes but he never changed while I flew with him.  Personally, I think the reputation of the Fox came from the select few that got them directly from Duke.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here