News:

• May 07, 2024, 01:32:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exhaust Duration For Stunt  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Exhaust Duration For Stunt
« on: August 06, 2015, 09:12:54 PM »
Does anyone have degrees of exhaust duration on a known good stunt engine with a baffle piston like a SuperTiger 46?

What are some good numbers, maybe I should measure a Fox 35 to compare?

I have a couple of nice Webra Silverline 40's I want to use but not sure they would give me a good stunt run.

Thanks,
MM

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Exhaust Duration For Stunt
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 09:58:42 PM »
Does anyone have degrees of exhaust duration on a known good stunt engine with a baffle piston like a SuperTiger 46?

What are some good numbers, maybe I should measure a Fox 35 to compare?

I have a couple of nice Webra Silverline 40's I want to use but not sure they would give me a good stunt run.

Thanks,
MM

Other things matter too, but 140-145 degrees is about the right answer. Thats the RO-Jett 61 "Brett" version and the the 40/46VF.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 10:01:35 PM »
nope  145 is  not the right answer , the fact is  that you can have a tremendous stunt run with anything from 110  to  150 degrees
the ST 46 for example is 117  137
the Aero Tiger is 135  and it doesn;t get any better than that
the PA 75 is 136

but it is  NOT all about exhaust  the relationship with the  intake (blowdown period) is pretty important too
also is the port arrangement and RPM range design, crank timing  yada yada :-)

etc.....
Randy
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 12:15:17 AM by RandySmith »

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 11:35:49 PM »
These engines are like a K&B 4011 with the square windows but a smaller single bypass and smaller crank. I think they're some kind of Webra Sport series. here's a pic of one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Webra-40-RC-GMBH-8581-Weidenberg-engine-power-airplane-model-speed-flying-/221824522610?hash=item33a5c59972

MM  

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 12:17:46 AM »
the Webra can work, they work better with smaller prop higher RPMs, I setup a few of them, problem was bad ring seal, poor longevity, the lapped Webra are better  but there are so much better stunt engines out there

randy

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 10:02:39 AM »
Just put the degree wheel on it, 130 exhaust. I want to put this on a Yates Dragon for old time stunt. What would be a better engine for old time?

MM
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:33:21 AM by Motorman »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 03:51:55 PM »
Just put the degree wheel on it, 130 exhaust. I want to put this on a Yates Dragon for old time stunt. What would be a better engine for old time?

MM

if it is in decent shape and has good compression.. then try it, you can always change it if it doesnt work

Randy

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 11:16:48 PM »
I have tested the same engine with 136, 140, and 145 degree exhaust durations. As the duration got longer, the engine ran with progressively less boost and brake. The RO-Jett 61 with 136 degree exhaust like the PA had the same run characteristics as the PA, with very abrupt and strong boost, particilarly. 140 was smoother, 145 was smoother still - just like the 143-146 degree OS 40VF. This seems to be an intrinsic property.

The reason I have RO-Jetts (and the "Brett" version that is 145, although it should probably be called the Jim Tichy version) is that they don't have the abrupt hard boost/brake of the PA. We were never entirely able to remove that with the PA61, without also killing all the power. David solved that problem by going to the PA75, and then the detuning to soften it up still yielded sufficient power. That was not an accident, he more-or-less set out to replicate the Jett 61 run with a PA.

There are certainly a lot more things to it than just the exhaust duration (like the *other* major difference between the RO-Jett and the PA, leading to the difference in inside/outside speed symmetry), but I think my experiment is about as controlled as they come in stunt, and the results are clear.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 09:48:20 AM »
This was not a question about a pipe motor setup, or a reason to try to again, bash PA engines, or pump the RJ mistake version, he was  asking about a Webra Silverline, he is not running it on a pipe so boost is not an issue, however the PA engines have no problem running about any way I want to set them up, and NO there is much more to it than your experiment, The PA engines  Aero Tigers and many more can run without hard breaks or hard boost, you just have to know how to set up an engine, I do not have hard brake or boost on my setup, unless I need to do that, the PA will develop much more power than most any other engine, as well as the Aero Tiger , for the size they are tops. Rather than try to slant the answer I gave him more information, and  NO the 145 is  not the best timing for cl stunt.  As has been more than proven by the 1000s of engines I have put out and all the controlled test I have done. And if needed I can instantly make a PA or AT36 run with a break so soft it will not speed at all, or any increase I deem necessary

Randy

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 02:03:24 PM »
Brett did you ever try the PA-65?
Steve

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 02:24:57 PM »
Before the wing fold I was running a stock PA 65 on 15% nitro (9,100 rpm) in a solid 4 stroke in level flight with just a slight beep into 2 when I "needed" it. 5.3 to 5.4 lap times and I can't say that I saw anyone else there with a better or more powerful engine run. Not bragging just stating what I saw. I also flew Dave's plane after the contest and while it was nice I can't say that it was any better, more consistent, or  more powerful than my 65 setup. I flew the 61 for a couple years too but the 65 is my favorite engine. No modifications needed...

Derek
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:43:17 PM by Derek Barry »

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 03:29:51 PM »
For me, the 61 and the 65 are not even in same family.  They may look the same but that is about it....   That's just my .02.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 03:41:40 PM »
For me, the 61 and the 65 are not even in same family.  They may look the same but that is about it....   That's just my .02.

Other than the larger bore  everything is exactly the same, timing and all. I can make the 51 61 and 65 all fly the exact same plane extremely well, and have done this numerous times.
Right now I am using a PA 51 in a KATANA, although the 61 and 65 have been there and also fly the plane very well.

Randy

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 08:06:54 PM »
Other than the larger bore  everything is exactly the same, timing and all. I can make the 51 61 and 65 all fly the exact same plane extremely well, and have done this numerous times.
Right now I am using a PA 51 in a KATANA, although the 61 and 65 have been there and also fly the plane very well.

Randy

Oh, there is no doubt they can all be made to run and fly the same plane very well and have done so on 1000s of occasions all over the world.  But as far as I am concerned the 65 has just enough extra displacement over the 61 to make it a VERY VERY VERY strong yet docile motor. But not too much extra to where you might have to change the way you run it.  This is just my very worthless opinion, but it really is the best of both worlds.  I will be hoarding my one and only 65 until the end of time.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 09:11:51 PM »
I've never had an ST 46 but the Enya 45 model 6001 was considered to be its equal. Mine has an exhaust duration of 132 degrees and transfer of 116 (i.e. blow down of 8 degrees). The later model 6002 had 140/120 but I didn't like it as much for stunt. Their crankshaft timings were identical.

Other similar (baffled) stunt engines:
Stalker 61RE (2-2-2 version) 130/116
Enya 60-IIIB 140/120
Enya 35 #1 120/100
Enya 35 #2 130/110
OS Max-S 35 126/112
OS Max-H 40S 140/116
Merco 35 130/110
Merco 61 133/111
Moki M5 140/120

I'll add that my 3 VF's (2x40 and a 46) are all 140/120 as is my ST G51 stunt while my Irvine 40RLS is 135/115.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 11:33:27 PM »
or a reason to try to again, bash PA engines, or pump the RJ mistake version,

Since I was doing neither, I don't know why you said that. Comparing and contrasting the two, or daring to speak aloud in less than effusive praise, is not "bashing". This is your issue, not mine.

I am relaying the *objective* experiences several of us have had with the PA that doesn't happen on the VF or "accidental" RO-Jett 61 version and the fact that the difference appears to be at least partially a function of the exhaust duration.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 12:57:33 AM »
The PA does not have to have an abrupt boost/brake, and can be setup to deliver many different power ranges and boost brake in very soft mode if wanted, without being soft on power , as you insinuate, This has been proven many times, the statement that you could not get it, doesn't mean many others  couldn't. Same with the AT36 and the Merlin series engines. There is a huge range of how you can run them, more than any other engine I have ever seen . And there is  nothing wrong with the timing, and they are not better at 145 degrees , when you raise the timing, you kill off compression. I have ran stunt engines from 110 to 160 degrees exhaust timing, and I know of no one that has more time in experimenting than i do. As i have told you before , run what you want, that is what anyone is able to do, it matters little to me. As long as they are happy, that is really all that matters in the end.

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here