News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:33:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox Tee Dee .15  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Cox Tee Dee .15
« on: October 29, 2022, 02:15:56 PM »
This lightly rusted and tattered mill just fell into my lap. Looks like low run time. What is to be done with it? I’ve a set of Walter U. ribs and plans for the Challenger waiting in the wings, so to speak. Also an (in)famous Fox.15. Both motors have the same mounting bolt pattern and weight (sans muffler). Am thinking of building the model for both mills this Winter. What do you think, worth a try?

Dave Mo…
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Cox Tee Dee .15
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 02:57:15 PM »
Should work great with right prop. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 02:09:58 PM »
              The Tee Dee .15 plugs are practically non existent and that would be concerning. The Fox uses a short which is even becoming more difficult these days to find. In addition, the Fox has a exhaust stack which certainly is beneficial to getting the mess out as directly as possible. I'm not certain as to which Fox .15 you have steelfin vs .15X. My .15 X is a little lighter than my TD .15. My TD .15 is the earlier version. One thing difficult to see is the carb body due to being black. The plastic is usually cracked around where the venturi screws in. It develops multiple cracks around the threads which causes havoc when trying to run it and set the needle. The carb bodies are available through MECOA for $14. Greg at Kamtechnik.com makes a turbo plug head for the TD.15's as well.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 07:54:22 PM »
Get the head for the TeeDee from MECOA.  I have several and had to ad gaskets on a couple .   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 12:14:04 PM »
John and Ken

Thanks for the info. My Cox 15 is the Special with the thicker cylinder.  Both the Cox and the Fox weigh the same, so likely not I have the 15x. Good to know that parts are still available from those sources.

FYI I have a rather unconventional project in mind. It’d be the Challenger 15 for a set of three interchangeable motors to include these two, plus a KMD 15 diesel. The KMD is heavier, so will allow removable tail weight. Will see how it goes.

Dave Mo…

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 07:23:28 PM »
Big Mo,

Nah, whutchugot is not a "removable tail weight" sitch-e-ation, but a removeable nose weight deally-o. You remove the Fox nose weight and put you an engine on there in its place. Such as that Cox. Dunno about the KMD. I saw one that could get out of it's own way but the other....  Well, it was used when my flying buddy got his mitts on it...so maybe it come with all the guts run out of it beforehand?

Your "Three-fer Plane" sounds like fun,

The Divot

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 07:44:14 AM »
John and Ken

Thanks for the info. My Cox 15 is the Special with the thicker cylinder.  Both the Cox and the Fox weigh the same, so likely not I have the 15x. Good to know that parts are still available from those sources.

FYI I have a rather unconventional project in mind. It’d be the Challenger 15 for a set of three interchangeable motors to include these two, plus a KMD 15 diesel. The KMD is heavier, so will allow removable tail weight. Will see how it goes.

Dave Mo…

I have a Ringmaster that I made with interchangeable mounts for 3 engines; Fox .35, LA .25, and Veco .19. I built the fuselage to take the widest crankcase first, which was the Fox.35, then made adapter plates  for the other two engines that are held on by a screw in front and back, and mounting holes for the specific engine on each set or plates. I have flat head screw that come up from the underside and the engine is held in place with nuts, lock washers and flat washers. I've flow it just with the LA.25 so far, and I want to try the Veco 19 next.

Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 10:49:46 PM »
Dan, that sounds like a nifty project you've got going. I too am curious about the Veco. Good suggestion on how to design and utilize a mounting plate.

El Supremo Divot: It finally struck me in the ol' gray matter about why you suggested weight adjustment in the fore; to wit, a constant flying weight regardless of mill choice!

Now for the task at hand. The Cox and Fox are identical in weight and mounting hole pattern. Sweet.  The Cox has a longer beak for a more forward prop placement, but that's livable. So, a twofer is easily in the bag. However, the KMD is a whole 'nother story. It tips the scale at 2.4 ounces more than either of the other two (4 oz. ea.). Plus, it features a rear intake so wants to live at the front of the fuse. Some serious head scratching might be needed to claim the "three-fer" title on this one. We'll see.

A thousand and one thanks!

Dave Mo...

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2022, 07:17:59 PM »
The TD should be way more powerful, but not go through maneuvers so well. Designed for freeflight performance, fuel draw was not its forte’. Point it straight up and run for a few seconds and it is done. At the time it was the most powerful engine per cubic inch in the world. But not for stunt on suction feed.

Consider bladder pressure feed.

The diseaseled engine may well be your best bet. It should pull extra weight including tailweight (or a shorter nose?) through nicely. The tank size will be way smaller to give you the room you need and shorter, lighter nose.

I love diesels. (The way to get diesel stains out of a t-shirt is with scissors.) The trick is to find the correct prop. Generally a bit larger diameter and much higher pitch. For a .8cc a 7x4 or a 1cc a 7x5. With the adjustability of the compression head and needle, it is almost impossible to find a prop the engine won’t run. The trick is to find what works best for your model.

H^^
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 07:41:59 PM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 04:10:53 PM »
I have one German diesel, a Tornado 15. But I was watching a foreign video the other day, where a guy had a 60 diesel on a 96" Lanzo Bomber. He was running a 16x8 prop in Texaco fuel allotment. I would say you were right about running any prop.
Jim Kraft

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 11:47:07 AM »
Hmm..., Larry and Jim are forcing a rethink towards dedicating the Challenger to diesel power. I too am a fan. When I bought the ribs and plans some years ago, they were intended for the KMD 2.5 diesel. Thus I'll stick with the original intent. Also, and because I've got an Enya 15 IV sporting a muffler that tips the scales at the same weight as the KMD, I mightn't abandon the twofer idea after all.

So glad, Larry, that you provided a description of the Cox 15 running style. Might make for a fun circle burning speed plane, should the need ever arise.

A bunch of thanks to you both.

Dave Mo....

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here