News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:25:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox heads that take standard glow plugs. Any good?  (Read 927 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cox heads that take standard glow plugs. Any good?
« on: September 23, 2022, 09:17:50 AM »
     As the heading asks, are these replacement heads functional ?

Comments/Suggestions.

Frank

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Cox heads that take standard glow plugs. Any good?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 10:16:42 AM »
     As the heading asks, are these replacement heads functional ?

Comments/Suggestions.

Frank
Pretty good writeup on Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cox_model_engine#Aftermarket_glow_heads

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 04:52:58 PM »
   Search this out on the 1/2A section. It primarily depends on what kind of performance you are looking for.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 05:48:07 PM »
Jump over to CEF. Find KamTechnik and then spend your $$ on his stuff after reviewing all of the posts/traffic related to his heads. No one over there has complained. I picked up a couple of his Tee Dee .020 backplates and just stare at the artwork...they are beautiful to just look at!
I have several Charlie's heads and two KamTechnik heads, all bought to future-proof these little marvels against the day Cox stuff becomes unobtainable (or just too stinking expensive). Charlie's looks like 25 year old pot metal, and the KT stuff is high-level-functioning artwork. However, even good, old-fa$hioned K&B long plug$ are starting to make de-tuning my little guys for low vitamin-N fuel the more fiscally responsible option for stretching plug life.

https://kamtechnik.com/

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 12:44:21 AM »
Note that the Kamtechnik heads are for Nelson- or Turbo plugs. That’s of course better, it’s just that the usual 1/4x32 theaded plugs won’t fit. L

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 05:04:28 AM »
           Nelson plugs are more durable and offer better performance over most of the 1/4-32 plugs offered which nowadays is very few. The main complaint with a Nelson plug is that the hex is larger and a standard clip doesn't work which requires a clothespin style clip. The turbo plugs are more expensive than Nelson style plugs by a couple of dollars. Current cost of Nelson plugs are $8.
 The Kamtechnik heads aren't a either or option. You must purchase one or the other as turbo head and a Nelson head are different threads. My advice would be to purchase one of each.

To get direct to the point though, head adapters that use standard long or shorts do work regardless of style. They generally have the engine down on power and can sometimes be problematic to get quick reliable starts.

I've personally played around quite a bit with old Cox heads that were burned out and had very successful results. I've lowered the plug and changed the combustion shape. The main problem was that lowering the plug required boring the top of the plug. This reduced the area where the wrench flats are and causes the flats to tear.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here