News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:45:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Correct Oil % for OS Max 15  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Correct Oil % for OS Max 15
« on: September 01, 2020, 11:29:54 AM »
I was given an OS Max .15, the one that followed the Max .15 MK III.  It is an iron/steel, baffle piston engine.  To further identify the motor, it is the one in this review by Peter Chinn: http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/OS%20Max%2015%20RC.html.

The review doesn't say what percentage of oil OS Max recommended.   I've run it on Sig 10% nitro, 25% all castor.  No doubt this is safe, but  Enya owner's manual recommends 20% all castor for their Mk III .15's. 

Does anyone know for sure what OS recommended for this engine?

Thanks,
Joe Ed Pederson

Offline Akihiro Danjo

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Correct Oil % for OS Max 15
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 02:00:55 AM »
This is a picture of my oldest OS Max instruction manual. It's not for OS Max 15 but for Max 20, but I think it will be almost the same because they are in the same era.
Nitro methane was very expensive at that time.

Aki

------               break-in / normal / RC / FF competition
methanol
castor
nitro benzene
nitro methane

Offline Akihiro Danjo

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 03:39:55 AM »
One more.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 09:16:55 AM »
Akihiro,

I really appreciate you posting this for me.

Thank you,

Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, Missouri

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 06:51:42 PM »
Akihiro,

I really appreciate you posting this for me.

So, basically,  you are good to go with 25% oil.

Brett

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 08:01:26 PM »
    So, basically,  you are good to go with 25% oil.

Brett

And thankfully I have plenty of Sig 10% nitro, 25% all castor.

Joe Ed

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 05:51:47 AM »
Hello
The OS 15 Mk4 was popular when I was young in the early 80's on our stunt trainers and combat models, ran them on 20% castor oil and 5 nitro back then. Still have 4 of them on my sons models and they run them on 25 oil and 10 nitro now. Did find the original instructions but the scanner would not talk to the computer so shot some pics with my cell phone. Anyway the factory recommended 23 oil once run in (less then the 25% for the earlier OS20 I note). Best prop 7x5 or 8x4 depending on the model.

Regards Gerald

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 11:04:02 AM »
Thanks Gerald,

I'm using it on a VERY overweight Sig Akromaster and my initial flights have been with a Master Airscrew carbon reinforced 8 x 4.    On 54 feet, .012 lines (eyelet to eyelet) I was getting 4 min 22 to 44 second lap times.  One of the things I realized after flying was the motor/prop unloaded and picked up speed within a couple of seconds of launch.  On the last flight, it went from the ragged edge of 2 cycle to solid 2 cycle within a couple of seconds of launch.  I'm going to try an 8 x 3 when I fly her next.  I have a wood Rev-Up and a Master Airscrew 8 x 3.

One thing I did have was plenty of line tension with no engine offset and 1/8" rudder offset on the adjustable rudder.

I'm going to build another Akromaster with a 3/8" square balsa leading edge and 1/16" sheet trailing edge (instead of shaped trailing edge and sheet 'flap' extensions.  I want to see how well a light modified Akromaster will fly.

Joe Ed

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 11:40:48 PM »
How much juice do you carry , to fly ' the Schedule ' , with one , or four. As the case may be . The Halifax has one or two , each side .  :-\

According to the engine tests , theyll still be happy on 9 x 4s .

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 08:23:47 AM »
After run, I mix lighter fluid and a little atf then run off two primes. Flushes all the bad stuff out and leaves a coating of atf.

Motorman 8)

Motorman,

What is atf?

Joe Ed

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 09:11:59 AM »
Motorman,

What is atf?

Joe Ed

Automatic Transmission Fluid. Comes in lots of varieties, some even specific to a particular manufacturer, such as Type F intended for Ford products back in the day. All sort of variesties these days such as Dextron, Mercon and such.  The difference is in the types of additives it has such as friction modifiers, lubricants, detergents and such. If your hands ever get really greasy and dirty with sludge and such, wash them with a little ATF first! Then hit the soap and water. For modeling activities, just get the cheapest stuff you can find. ATF has great properties for clinging to surfaces of parts and can take great surface pressure. There are very few bearings in an automatic transmission, and most surfaces are flat with babbitt type bearings or washers, or some kinds of special plastics. It also has additives to help all the clutches and bands grip properly and not slip, kind of counter to lubrication of bearings! It also acts as a hydraulic fluid and the pump in a transmission can generate great pressure, and it's this pressure that makes the transmission change gears at the proper time. I use it in vintage dirt bikes also for gear box lubricant and also for front fork suspension fluid. Pretty versatile stuff.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 05:43:15 PM »
Thanks, Dan.

Joe Ed

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 11:27:10 PM »
Joe,

You may have a couple of things going on with regard to your launch setting vs. the flight rpm. Yes, the engine may unload some, but it is also likely that your tank setup is changing the feed pressure. Just as a for-instance, if your tank is wide and set outboard because you are using some kind of adjustable base plate you can see the same kind of rpm increase. Ideally, you'd like the tank to laterally center up on the needle valve to minimize these changes. If you use a very wide tank on a small engine (to try to get some tank volume on a short-nosed profile) the farther into the tank you run the leaner it's going to go. Muffler pressure can help reduce this effect, but the two are additive--one does not cancel out the other. Uniflow definitely can help, since it does cancel the effect until you uncover the line.

It is also typical to get an rpm burst on initial takeoff acceleration as the fuel load "tries to catch up with the airplane." That would settle out in the first half lap. But if you are not at a stable rpm due to other setup issues, then the takeoff would be the first influence that might cause the engine to try to find a higher (stable) rpm.

An ideal tank setup is one that has the same ground rpm as the level flight rpm. Tuning the tank is the way to get that.

Dave

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 12:09:52 AM »
HOW BIG A TANK ? .

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 10:20:05 AM »
Joe,

You may have a couple of things going on with regard to your launch setting vs. the flight rpm. Yes, the engine may unload some, but it is also likely that your tank setup is changing the feed pressure. Just as a for-instance, if your tank is wide and set outboard because you are using some kind of adjustable base plate you can see the same kind of rpm increase. Ideally, you'd like the tank to laterally center up on the needle valve to minimize these changes. If you use a very wide tank on a small engine (to try to get some tank volume on a short-nosed profile) the farther into the tank you run the leaner it's going to go. Muffler pressure can help reduce this effect, but the two are additive--one does not cancel out the other. Uniflow definitely can help, since it does cancel the effect until you uncover the line.

It is also typical to get an rpm burst on initial takeoff acceleration as the fuel load "tries to catch up with the airplane." That would settle out in the first half lap. But if you are not at a stable rpm due to other setup issues, then the takeoff would be the first influence that might cause the engine to try to find a higher (stable) rpm.

An ideal tank setup is one that has the same ground rpm as the level flight rpm. Tuning the tank is the way to get that.

Dave

Dave,

My tank is a 1.5 ounce metal tank. 

It is a Brodak catalog number BH-473, 1" H x 1 3/4" W x 2 1/4" L regular vent (not uniflow) Medium wedge.   It gives about a 5 minute run.  But I have run into the short nose problem.  To get any capacity I end up with a minimum of 1 3/4" wide tank that puts the the pick up tube right at the top of the cylinder.  The tank is mounted on a 3/32" ply base with ears with slots for adjusting the height of the tank. The engine is mounted to 1/8" aluminum bars, which helps a little with the width of the tank.    I did get her running the same speed right side up and inverted by moving the pickup tube about 1/8" above the center of the glow plug.

I would have to make my own metal tank to get at least 1.5 ounce capacity, and a small enough width in the tank to improve the situation.  Especially if I wanted a uniflow tank.  I've never made a metal tank, but maybe it's a skill worth gaining.  I have some experience soldering and I could look up a fairly recent thread on soldering metal fuel tanks.

Thanks for the input.

Joe Ed

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here