News:

• March 29, 2024, 02:37:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Correct fuel  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Correct fuel
« on: May 03, 2022, 05:25:55 AM »
What is the correct fuel for a Super Tigre 34?

For an Enya 15 IV

For a Fox 15 Slant Plug

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
Re: Correct fuel
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 05:36:55 AM »
I see from a former thread in which I participated that for the Enya - 10 % nitro, 20 % castor was recommended by Enya for the 15-III.  Not sure about the Enya 15-IV.  The other two engines - I don't know for sure.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 06:23:42 AM »
Allen,
The 10%N is ok for all, if they are ABC or ABN I would go with 23% (50/50 castor/syn) oil. Read Randy's pinned article "Fuel , GLO-plug and running tips" at the top of the forum. It goes into detail about what fuel for what type engine.

Best,    DennisT

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 02:38:57 PM »
I run all my engines on 10% nitro and at least 22% oil,1/2&1/2. D>K

Remember not too lean them out too much D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 08:15:10 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts.  I may get some Sig 20% Castor 10N or I might mix half and half 10% N 29% Castor and 10 23 (11 1/2 x 11 1/2 and try that since I have both on hand.  I once ran a used Enya 15, on such a mixture but it seized up. I think it ran too long.  It ran good at the beginning of the Flight on an Akromaster.  I haven't tried it since.  I am hoping that I didn't fry it.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 08:36:45 PM »
The Enya and Fox have iron pistons so 10% nitro 20% castor is recommended.

The Tigre 34 is ringed and will work good with the same mix but some say it might gum up the ring in the long run and recommend 10% castor with 10% synthetic. I've never experienced this myself but, I have a way to purge the castor out of the engine after flying.

Motorman 8)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 09:25:08 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts.  I may get some Sig 20% Castor 10N or I might mix half and half 10% N 29% Castor and 10 23 (11 1/2 x 11 1/2 and try that since I have both on hand.  I once ran a used Enya 15, on such a mixture but it seized up. I think it ran too long.  It ran good at the beginning of the Flight on an Akromaster.  I haven't tried it since.  I am hoping that I didn't fry it.

Enyas are notorious for taking a long time to break in. What you describe is a classic description of an engine that needs more break it and was probably over propped also, to big diameter and/or too much pitch. Run it for a dozen more runs or so on a test stand with a 7X4 prop in a high four stoke mode . If you fly it again after that, try an 8X4 prop and be careful with your needle setting.
  Type at you later,
   Dan  McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 04:34:48 AM »
Thanks Dan.  I think that I will do just that for the Enya.  I put it on an Akromaster which wouldn't fly well with a Red Head McCoy 19.  With the Enya, the plane flew much better.  The 15 is used and I figured it was broken in.  Maybe not so. 

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 04:35:57 AM »
I also plan to use the 10/10 mix with the Super Tigre.  Thanks Motorman.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 09:18:24 AM »
Thanks Dan.  I think that I will do just that for the Enya.  I put it on an Akromaster which wouldn't fly well with a Red Head McCoy 19.  With the Enya, the plane flew much better.  The 15 is used and I figured it was broken in.  Maybe not so.

I would say that a pretty high percentage of all used and previously owned Enyas of all displacements in the world need breaking in. Keep in mind that these come from a time when there was no internet to seek help on, and most people operating them, or trying to, really knew nothing about what they were doing. So, when they had issues like you described, they just blamed the engine, bad luck, or anything else and put it away until it gets discovered years later and people think they are well used and broken in.!! It's quite possible this is true of most vintage engines that get discovered at yard and garage sales.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 12:55:11 PM »
I'll agree with Dennis.
I've found that 10/23/50-50 seems to be the best all-around fuel for my use.
I use it in ALL my 4S as well as all my glow engines.
Brodak fuel for the most part. I've uses it in Fox 19, 29 & 35, Atwood Triumph 51, Various K&B, Johnson, McCoy, Super Tiger (15 up through 60), ETA, Orwick, ENYA, OS, etc.
Never experienced a lube-related issue.

Bob Z.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 03:58:34 PM »
Enyas as said take forever to break in. I remember running an Enya 19:1V on a Flying Fool Bipe almost all summer in a four stroke to get it to where it would even run in a two stroke. The Old Enya 45 and 60 ringed engines took time also but not like that 19 lapped engine.

It is amazing to me how many old engines out there that have never been run. I have several that I had to break in. Old ignition engines at that.
Jim Kraft

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2022, 06:39:59 AM »
      I would say that a pretty high percentage of all used and previously owned Enyas of all displacements in the world need breaking in. Keep in mind that these come from a time when there was no internet to seek help on, and most people operating them, or trying to, really knew nothing about what they were doing. So, when they had issues like you described, they just blamed the engine, bad luck, or anything else and put it away until it gets discovered years later and people think they are well used and broken in.!! It's quite possible this is true of most vintage engines that get discovered at yard and garage sales.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

that is exactly what I think too, but only for the Iron piston ones. The AAC, ABC and Ring ones not so much.

I guess you already read how I break in my Enya Iron engine in an hour and half of bench run time. 

I friend did it in much less time. I wouldn´t do this way to play safe. But this is what he did with his brand new Enya SS25:  He just mount the new engine in a  Ringmaster S-1  and for about 3 min he let the engine running breaking between 4 and 2, an then lean out to peak rpm and let it running hard to the end of the tank, adjusting the needle to make sure it was at peak rpm at all times.  Started again and ran 1/2 the tank keeping it a peak rpm and that was it. Refuel the tank and went flying to practice to fly at Brodaks 2008. His engine performed beautifully with the RM S-1.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2022, 09:58:03 AM »

My Akromaster with McCoy .19 is my best flyer!  10% nitro 28% oil (50/50) with 2oz wedge tank and 8x4 or 8x6 prop

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2022, 06:11:16 PM »
That's refreshing to hear of a great flyer with a McCoy engine.  I had one McCoy 19 which was really good.  However, one day it blew the head off.  I guess I wasn't paying attention to that.   That was the end of that engine for me.  It bent the connecting rod inside.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here