News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:43:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cool Power 10%  (Read 1664 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cool Power 10%
« on: August 11, 2021, 10:31:47 AM »
Guys, assuming Randy Smith and others have determined the oil content of this fuel is 14.7% by boil tests, how many ounces of castor would I need to have 22% oil? Also i would like to hear some assurance that this fuel will be safe to run in my non piped RJ 67. Thank you. Kevin

Offline Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Cool Power 10%
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 01:13:43 PM »
11oz of castor for 22% oil and you'll end up with 9% nitro.

http://www.nitrorc.com/fuelws/oilonly.asp

Motorman 8)

Hi.
Since Morganfuel doses components by weight, 10% nitro (by weight) should be somewhere around 7.5% by volume.  This brings us (after adding the oil) to a final nitro value around 7%.

Massimo

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 02:48:37 PM »
Thanks! Now I only need to see if this fuel will stain the paint like I remember it doing years ago! And thanks for the fuel calculator link Motorman!😃

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 02:58:12 PM »
do not add castor add synthetic to Morgans as it already has castor the RO Jett DOES NOT like Castor . I should have said Omega ( the pink stuff), Yes the Cool Power is all Synthetic but I belive the true Oil content is only 14.5 % . I believe Randy Smith did a boil down test on the fuel, baby he can verify.
There is a good calculator to aid in how much to add to make the oil content correct.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 04:41:11 PM by Walter Hicks »

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 04:03:48 PM »
Walter,

Thanks for suggesting that.  Yes, adding some oil would make sense, but the added oil could be mostly synthetic.

Peter

Online Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 07:42:21 PM »
That calculator at http://www.nitrorc.com/fuelws/oilonly.asp is wrong. No matter how much oil you add to a given fuel the relative proportions of the actual fuel (the methanol and nitro ratios) remain the same. That calculator is treating oil as a fuel, which obviously it isn't.

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 10:39:22 PM »
do not add castor add synthetic to Morgans as it already has castor the RO Jett DOES NOT like Castor .
Cool Power does NOT CONTAIN ANY CASTOR
Morgan's Omega contains castor synthetic blend
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 11:04:58 PM »
That calculator at http://www.nitrorc.com/fuelws/oilonly.asp is wrong. No matter how much oil you add to a given fuel the relative proportions of the actual fuel (the methanol and nitro ratios) remain the same. That calculator is treating oil as a fuel, which obviously it isn't.
The calculator is correct; You are incorrect
When you add oil to a previous blend with no other changes you no longer have a gallon of fuel. You now have a gallon 128oz + the amount you added so...the percentage of oil goes up and the percentage of every other ingredient goes down.
Example; take one gallon (128oz) of 10 % nitro 17% oil fuel and lets say you want 22% oi

The current fuel has, 10% nitro content and 17% oil content, leaving 73% methanol.

In order to achieve 22% oil you will simply need to add 7.8 ounces of castor/synthetic oil to your 128 ounces of fuel.

When you're done, you will end up with 135.8 ounces (1.06 gallons) of newly blended, custom fuel.

Your Custom Blend Results will be:
 Starting Nitro: 12.8 oz =10%....Ending Nitro: still 12.8 oz =   9.4%
 Starting Oil: 17% =21.76 oz      Ending Oil:29.56 oz = 22%   
 Starting Methanol 73% =93.44 oz       Ending Methanol still 93.44 oz =  68.6%
The combination of ALL the ingredients is called FUEL and the percentages refer to the new total quantity 135.8 oz

Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Online Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 08:54:45 PM »
Methanol (and methanol+nitro) is the ACTUAL fuel which allows the engine to run. Oil is only there to KEEP the engine running. In the custom blends above, both the starting and ending volumes of nitro and methanol remain exactly the same. These are the volumes (or mass actually) of FUEL which the engine uses to run on and if extra oil is added then the needle valve is used to compensate for the extra volume of oil and keep the original volume of the FUEL component passing into the engine.

A simplified example is a zero nitro fuel where, regardless of oil content, it always runs 100% on just the methanol. Maybe it's a matter of semantics but oil is NOT a fuel.

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 02:48:19 AM »
Methanol (and methanol+nitro) is the ACTUAL fuel which allows the engine to run. Oil is only there to KEEP the engine running. In the custom blends above, both the starting and ending volumes of nitro and methanol remain exactly the same. These are the volumes (or mass actually) of FUEL which the engine uses to run on and if extra oil is added then the needle valve is used to compensate for the extra volume of oil and keep the original volume of the FUEL component passing into the engine.

A simplified example is a zero nitro fuel where, regardless of oil content, it always runs 100% on just the methanol. Maybe it's a matter of semantics but oil is NOT a fuel.
You can word it however you want and believe whatever but when a manufacturer says on the label it is 10% nitro or 20% oil they are talking about percentage of the total volume of liquid (everyone else calls that "Fuel") When you fill your fuel tank with "fuel" everyone generally assumes that to be ALL of the ingredients
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Olli-Matti

• 2018 Supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 12:12:51 PM »
I've added 2dl of castor to CP10. Been happy with that (aiming for the roughly 22% total oil content). If CP10 really has only 14,7% oil (volume) 2dl added oil would be 20% total oil and you can add one more dl (3dl total) and have roughly 22% total oil.

I am not sure but it could be that there is not much more room in the fresh can of CP10 than that 2-3dl, so you can just top it of with castor oil and call it a day. If more scientific approach is required I suggest calculating more accurately :)

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 12:25:36 AM »
I used Coolpower 10% in my RoJett65 without any additives and it ran fine.  I asked  Dubb about that and he says it is ok to run that way.  I am running Powermaster 10% AIR now due to availability.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here