News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:52:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: B - 40 very hard to crank, and clicks  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
B - 40 very hard to crank, and clicks
« on: October 28, 2020, 01:30:34 PM »
I have a Brodak 40 which has been on a plane without being run for at least two years.  It has been placed on another plane and we tried to start it today.  I think we flooded it.  We ran most  of that out.  However, in trying to crank the propeller it gets very tight and also has a click. It can be forced to crank.  Recently engine after run oil was put in it.  Unfortunately, we took it to the field without having tried to run it on the bench.  We did turn it with a very powerful starter, a 12 volt. It did fire.

Also, it was involved in a crash that broke off the muffler mount.  We tried to put that on with JB Weld.  That came off when we were trying to start it today.  I am not sure that this is at all related to the problem.

Any ideas?    My brother who now has it, may chime in!   

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: B - 40 very hard to crank, and clicks
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 02:18:53 PM »
I have a Brodak 40 which has been on a plane without being run for at least two years.  It has been placed on another plane and we tried to start it today.  I think we flooded it.  We ran most  of that out.  However, in trying to crank the propeller it gets very tight and also has a click. It can be forced to crank.  Recently engine after run oil was put in it.  Unfortunately, we took it to the field without having tried to run it on the bench.  We did turn it with a very powerful starter, a 12 volt. It did fire.

Also, it was involved in a crash that broke off the muffler mount.  We tried to put that on with JB Weld.  That came off when we were trying to start it today.  I am not sure that this is at all related to the problem.

Any ideas?    My brother who now has it, may chime in!
See below
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 04:26:42 PM »
Hi Ken,

Just a question - "what did you mean below"?

Did you mean the thread about the Fox 35 that was below what I just wrote?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 07:39:19 PM »
That collection of symptoms, plus the fact you flooded it while using a "very powerful" starter (whatever that means), makes me think you bent the rod.  Which, if true, probably means the cylinder is scuffed beyond repair.

If you don't feel confident disassembling it, I'd suggest sending it off to someone for repair, or buy another motor on eBay and put that into the "someday" pile.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 10:15:22 PM »
many things  could have happened, Crash damage  hurting the insides
Use of the  starter  could have  filled the case inside  with metal debris  from driving the crank pin and  rod  into the back of the  motor
The  bushing in the rod  could be  killed  from the  metal  and starter this debris  could be  the  click you hear
Piston sleeve  could  be  scored  from the debris

You said the motor  was in a  crash, does that mean it  ran well  before ?

It will have to be  taken apart and  checked  thoroughly

Randy

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 10:16:24 PM »
Hi Ken,

Just a question - "what did you mean below"?

Did you mean the thread about the Fox 35 that was below what I just wrote?
The tag line below the post, or what Tim said.  Unless that motor has sentimental value I would replace it.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 11:31:34 AM »
If you have to replace P/S, rod, crank, etc.  Is it still free?   Quite an offer!
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 09:25:21 PM »
   If it's been crashed, the case may be tweaked enough that it's in a bind and won't run in that condition. I did that to a OS.35S once I had in a 52 Nobler. I crashed it inverted in an outside maneuver of some kind, and remember being relieved that the cylinder was pointing up! I for the wreckage home, removed the engine and thought that it didn't look bad at all. Put a prop on it and tried to turn it over carefully and it made one revolution and stopped solid. I pulled the back plate off and teh rod was slipping off the crank pin. I pushed it back on and tried again and could see the rod slide back off again as I turned it over. Looking at the engine, there was no visible damage. No cracks of any kind, nothing broken. I got another one out and held it up next to it, and that is when I could see that the crank wasn't square with the cylinder anymore, off by about 10 degrees up. Pretty much ruined the whole engine with the exception of a few parts. I have managed to save a lot of broken and bad engines but even I wasn't going to try and true the case back up, not with all the SO.35S engines in the world! I had a profile Chipmunk that I scratched built back in my beginner days, and crashed that straight into the paved donut at Buder Park one evening. I had a Randy Smith Magnum .40 in it that Gary Hajek gave me and I hadn't even paid him for it yet! I looked at the wreckage from the center of the circle and saw some broken metal and thought it was the case. when I went to pick it up, I saw it was the muffler broken in half. No problem I thought, I can fix that. I didn't have to take the engine out of the fuselage, the impact had sheared the mounting bolts as the engine slid back along the mounts, and the whole nose took the brunt of the impact. I cleaned the engine off, flushed some fuel through things, put a prop on it and turned it over and it felt OK. The gave it some healthy flips and it sounded OK. I welded up the muffler and it powered the next model I built and it's still in my collection ready to run. By all that is right, that engine should have been scrap metal! Sometimes, you just get lucky.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 10:22:45 AM »
I will send it to Motorman.  I have an LA 40 which I totally buried in the ground of a baseball outfield.  I borrowed someone's shovel to dig it out.  Motorman has that one running fine.  I also have a Fox 35 which He got going.  It started turning hard, maybe from a popsicle stick which came loose.  That stick did eliminate the Fox burp. Motorman worked on it and it's turning fine without the stick.  I haven't used it yet.  I may be finished with all castor engines and he set up an RC Magnum 25 for CL.  I am enjoying it except for lack of compression. It was already that way and several on this forum opined that that Magnum 25 often didn't have much compression.  So, I took Motorman up on his offer.  I will send him the B-40. It's either whirl or hurl.  We'll see. 

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 11:58:11 AM »
MOTORMAN..  Good for you!  You might get more business than you bargained for.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 01:27:20 PM »
I'd be curious to hear what the problem is, once Motorman gets it open.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 04:26:16 PM »
Before sending it off , educate yourself-  take the motor apart.  Warm the case lightly with a propane torch.
Remove the prop an put the nut,washer, driver and thrust washer(thin steel behind the prop driver.

Remove the backplate and observe the visible damage, if any. Possibly meditate on the negative effects of a "powerful" starter.  Any motor 46 and below is relatively safe for hand starting once you learn the best techniques(maybe later).

Remove the glowplug.  If the oil is squashed or missing it's likely debris from other parts trashed it.
Remove the head bolts- be careful not to strip the head or mangle the fins.  Don't hold the motor so that the screwdriver could slip off and go through your palm!  Its best to either mount it on a block, or a metal adjustable motor mount(hard to find these days).  Sawing a slot in a 2x4 just wide enough for the case and snug fit across the case under the motor mounts is enough.

Pull the head.  Be careful not to trash the head washer. 

Examine the piston, sleeve, the inside if the case, and where the piston binds,  If you're lucky the sleeve has oil burnt onto it above the exhaust.  If it looks perfectly clean and the piston binds above the exhaust port the motor it either fit too tight, or just needs to be broken in.  The Brodak 40's are well built for the price, but the P/L is tough to get just right.

Use the end of popsicle stick to catch a port in the sleeve.  Use a SMALL wrench to slowly turn the shaft and push the sleeve out.

The piston and rod should come out, looking from the back, when the crankpin is in the upper corner.  It may take some gentle help with a right angle allen wrench to pop it off.  It also may need so rotation of the crank. 

Examine the piston and liner for long scratches above the ports.  If there are substantial or many vertical scratcline is probably toast.  It may run.  Check the piston fit by sliding it up an unscratched  sleeve.  If it gets stuck above the ports  the liner has too much taper(generally not a home shop fix).

If everything looks reasonably unscratched, straight, and clean reassemble the motor.  If the bind comes back or gets worse the case is bent from the crash that broke the muffler.  If it just binds try priming it and flipping it.  If it sticks when flipped the P/L need some honing, not a home job unless you are desperate.

The following procedure will usually get almost any motor(that isn't worn out) started.  Mount it on a junky plane.  Fill the tank.  Put a few drops of fuel in the intake and try to flip it over.  If it won't put a few drops in the exhaust.  Try flipping  both forwards and backwards.  If it simply won't flip over or backfire it's kinda hopeless and the piston/liner needs to be replaced or repaired.

If it does backfire try 2-3 drops in the exhaust.  Wiggle the prop a bit with the battery attached.  Hold the so the prop  is rotated clockwise up against the bind.  Hit the prop hard and fast AWAY from compression.  With some luck and maybe several tries the motor will start to fire a few times.  It it does it can be broken in enough to run.  If it doesn't pop forget it.  New piston and liner.

Once the motor is either fixed or replaced look through the several posts(search) on breaking in and running an ABC engine.
phil Cartier

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2020, 06:31:47 PM »
Hi Motorman,

I am glad that it's fixable.  Actually it was side mounted on a Magician.  It got away from me on a vertical 8 at the top.  I think it happened at Brodak's in practice 2 or 3 years ago.  We tried to fix the crank case with JB weld.  However, I hadn't even attempted to run it for all this time.  The wing of the plane (original model from the first kitter) came out very crooked when I attempted to put it back together for the umpteenth time.  I think I was flying up on the circle where they do carrier at Brodak.  I believe that one is paved.  It was a hard crash.  I will be glad to have it running again.  It may be destined for a profile Vector.  I have loved the way the B-40 runs and starts.  Actually,  it's only done around 50 flights.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 04:39:31 AM »
Doesn't sound Brodak like to me.  They usually,  if not always make things right.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 06:50:24 PM »
Hooray.  As I expected from Brodak.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 08:13:12 PM »
I want to say a big thanks to Motorman.  A week ago or so,  I received back a beautiful engine.  I haven't run it yet but I will do it in the fullness of time.  Right now I don't have a very good test bed.  However I broke it in in the early stages on an old Cosmic Wind.  Of course it was overpowered but it got me from just flying circles to lazy eights and flying upside down.  I have a profile Vector which I see as it's home, once I get it built.  Thanks again, Motorman.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2020, 09:16:48 PM »
This good news.  Mine has the muffler and screws J-B Welded and has about 2 dozen flights on it.  The shape of the muffler lets me mount and demount with out removing the muffler.  Have to change design of cowl to compensate for it. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here