News:

• May 02, 2024, 02:59:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Inverted vs Upright vs Sidemounted Engines  (Read 1573 times)

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
Inverted vs Upright vs Sidemounted Engines
« on: December 05, 2017, 10:52:31 PM »
Hello In light of the previous discussion on NVA height in the venturi and my own curiosity is there an advantage side-mounting my engine in my P39 Airacobra build . My model is a slightly scaled up P39 by R Woodhead (Aeromodeller design from the 1970's 60" with OS 50) The original was upright engine which ruins the slim front profile and
side-mounting would help here, without to much reworking as the design is bearers in bulkheads and planking.
 I have not started the fuselage yet just the wing and control surfaces. I want something I can enter it in scale to replace my profile scale P39 (35 size) but still fly it in Stunt and appreciate I am not going to win/do well in either class but just want to compete as usual.  ;) Thanks Gerald

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Inverted vs Upright vs Sidemounted Engines
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 02:42:37 PM »
Hello In light of the previous discussion on NVA height in the venturi and my own curiosity is there an advantage side-mounting my engine in my P39 Airacobra build . My model is a slightly scaled up P39 by R Woodhead (Aeromodeller design from the 1970's 60" with OS 50) The original was upright engine which ruins the slim front profile and
side-mounting would help here, without to much reworking as the design is bearers in bulkheads and planking.
 I have not started the fuselage yet just the wing and control surfaces. I want something I can enter it in scale to replace my profile scale P39 (35 size) but still fly it in Stunt and appreciate I am not going to win/do well in either class but just want to compete as usual.  ;) Thanks Gerald

What engine ??   You maybe better served to mount it sideways pointing  inward, if you go side winder

Randy

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 03:06:57 PM »
Hello Randy

Now is the embarrassing part as I am a committed Fox engine enthusiast  :-[
I originally intended to use one of my Fox Hawks in it as I have run a number of them on my profile P51 (yes side mount proved good) but admit they are far from ideal as they get hot with their metal fins and paper gaskets .Also I found if you use a restrictive muffler or 13x6 prop they are not happy which limits things to a stock muffler and 12x6 or equivalent. Timing is a little radical too and suction not the best with the standard venturi . Was tossing up a Fox Eagle 74 but admit it is flawed too and may overheat with a large load . The model is big at 920sq and will be heavy as I am building it.
Whats the point you are probably be thinking but I have to live up to my reputation as a non standard person who loves American cars and Fox engines here in New Zealand , I was a Fox agent a long time back but no one wanted their engines!   ???
Sorry for being difficult but I do not want to disappoint my critics and like scale multipurpose stunters  #^

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »
Gerald, If you are a Fox man and have a large/heavy plane you need to power then I would strongly recommend a Fox .78. I flew one for years on an RC job that spanned  10 feet and weighed 27 pounds. I ran 14x6 all the way up to 16x4 props on it. A very powerful and easy handling engine.
Phil Bare

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 04:28:25 PM »
Hello Randy

Now is the embarrassing part as I am a committed Fox engine enthusiast  :-[
I originally intended to use one of my Fox Hawks in it as I have run a number of them on my profile P51 (yes side mount proved good) but admit they are far from ideal as they get hot with their metal fins and paper gaskets .Also I found if you use a restrictive muffler or 13x6 prop they are not happy which limits things to a stock muffler and 12x6 or equivalent. Timing is a little radical too and suction not the best with the standard venturi . Was tossing up a Fox Eagle 74 but admit it is flawed too and may overheat with a large load . The model is big at 920sq and will be heavy as I am building it.
Whats the point you are probably be thinking but I have to live up to my reputation as a non standard person who loves American cars and Fox engines here in New Zealand , I was a Fox agent a long time back but no one wanted their engines!   ???
Sorry for being difficult but I do not want to disappoint my critics and like scale multipurpose stunters  #^

Hi Gerald

I would at least use  the 74, you can mount it  either way you want, maybe just inverted, I don't see you having much of a  heat problem with, just make sure the carb is  working and adjusted properly
Send us a picture of your build, be  nice to see  what you come up with

Randy

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 05:15:37 AM »
Thanks Randy and Phil
I appreciate your input. Been have keeping an eye out on Ebay for Fox 74's and 78's but they are getting harder to find in good order. I have a tidy Eagle 74 that I aim to use but it would be nice to compare it to the 78 . It has also been suggested to me that a R/C type radial mount would help side mounting and make tank location more flexible.

So far I have built control surfaces and started on the wing but need to finish my Magnum/Mustang build with Fox Hawk 60 hopefully for our National in early January before I continue on the P39.
Just finished another quick profile semi scale stunter (pic attached of my Yokosuka D4Y with my Vought Vinicator and original profile P39) for last weekends scale meet.  :)
Regards Gerald

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 09:56:14 AM »
Gerald, I have both the Eagle 4 .74 as well as the .78. They both make about the same max power but the .78 seems happier with the larger props and is overall much easier handling than the .74. Plus you can hit the .78 with loads of nitro and not degrade the handling. The same can not be said of the .74.
Phil

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 02:16:16 PM »
Hello Phil
I suspected the Fox 78 would be the better mannered engine after reading about some of the 74's issues on fayettevillercclub web site's Flitelinesolutions section which discusses the head button design and overcoming pre-ignition :  http://www.fayettevillercclub.com/id70.html
I presume the 78 would be similar to the OS 80 that Matt Spencer has choose to use on his Typhoon
Thanks again  #^
Regards Gerald

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »
HI Gerald, The usable power of the .78 I far more effective and easier handling than the .74. As for comparing the .78 to the OS .80, there is no comparison. I had a Telemaster that I was flying with a Fox RC .59 that was pretty well worn out. I went and bought a new OS .80 and installed it in the Telemaster, After the first flight, I was sick. The performance was about the same as with the worn out Fox .59.
Phil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here