News:

• May 14, 2024, 02:21:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glow plug connectors  (Read 4918 times)

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Glow plug connectors
« on: December 09, 2012, 04:47:43 PM »
In the thread about OS rear needle setups, Ken Cook said, 'I've seen more people injured removing the clip or nicad ignitor than any other procedure in this hobby.'

Not wishing the hijack the other discussion, here is a new one.

As Ken said, I, too have seen some pretty scary actions by people removing the plug lighter from inverted engine installations.

Also, my RCAT driver has the latest push and twist Sonic Tronics clip and trying to remove it from a Fox 35 results in the RCA connection coming away leaving the plug clip in place more often than not. For that particular model, I made up a connector with  an RCA connector at one end and alligator clips to connect to the plug so we just pull the cable away when the engine starts.

For the other enclosed, inverted engine models that I have in the pipeline, I have been looking at remore connections and particularly like the one used by Tony Bonello from Sydney.

He runs a short length of twin wire from the engine to two pieces of 1/8" brass tube glued into the fuselage side. Mini banana plugs are plugged into the brass tubes. If the twin wire is multi-strand, he makes an R clip from a piece of copper wire to connect to the plug centre.

There are only a few grams of extra weight but greatly improved safety.

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
Re: Glow plug connectors
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 02:13:51 PM »
Tony Bonello is a master builder, and I'd happily copy any of his methods.

Greg

larry borden

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:02:44 PM »
I don't like the ni-cad twist off ignitors ether. I'm thinking about going back to the old style, alligator clips. Just need a battery source. Wish I hadn't sold my Glo-Bee battery years ago.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 01:44:02 AM »
I agree all the way! having narrowly missed having lacerated fingers for the umpteenth time. I have decided to use a permananet glow plug connector and a jack plug on the end of the wire. A good constant current source will prevent problems with variable resistance contacts in the circuit. Needling with front NVA s isn't a problem. fiddling with a glow stick IS!

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:24:21 AM »
I've seen Team Racers with a LED in the cockpit to indicate the glow connection is complete.

Would only need to select the correctly rated LED and connection details.

G

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 02:32:03 AM »
Hi Greg,
A constant current source is better, because if you have an unusual bit of resistence, the constant current source just ups the voltage to get the required current through the plug. A Voltage sensor isn't much good as it can't alter the voltsge / current. All it does is say its working or not.

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

larry borden

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 08:27:47 AM »
I agree all the way! having narrowly missed having lacerated fingers for the umpteenth time. I have decided to use a permananet glow plug connector and a jack plug on the end of the wire. A good constant current source will prevent problems with variable resistance contacts in the circuit. Needling with front NVA s isn't a problem. fiddling with a glow stick IS!

Andrew.

What do you use for a battery?

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »
Hello Larry,
I normally use a small 12 volt gel cell (Fancy lead / acid). Because that is what I have about the shop. I have also used an 8 pack of D sized Ni Cads, again simply because I was given them. A lower voltage source would be better as much less power is dissipated in the regulator. I built the constant current source maybe 30 years ago, when I was doing some 4 point probe work. Nothing special, standard text book circuits.

Regards

Andrew.

BMFA Number 64862

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 12:34:40 PM »
Using a manufactured bulkhead-mount connector with the right current rating would solve a lot of problems, if you could make it look good enough.  The ones used for arming switches on the electric stunters should be just about ideal (as long as you don't mistake someone's electric ship for your glow-powered stunter, and hook up to it, that is).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

larry borden

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 02:52:44 PM »
I got a 4 d cell battery pack from Radio Shack and some alligator clips or roach clips as we used to call them. But thats another story. Going to hook with lamp cord and see what appens.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 03:08:53 PM »
Hi Brother Larry,

I used a small Radio Shack "project box" along with some nicads.  I put the connectors on it so that I can use any "clip" I want to and can put on one that matches the chargers.  It has worked great!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 03:16:16 PM »
There's a magic size of brass tubing that's a perfect fit for regular banana plugs.  I can't remember the size, but a trip to the LHS with some banana plugs would get you sorted.

I use them on two parallel "D" size alkaline cells, which works well.  A friend made up a battery box with a nicad battery in a film cannister; that also works well.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 08:55:54 PM »
Alan Resinger designed and made a VERY cute and light little clip to the glowplug, and uses speaker wire. The clip is a piece of brass tubing, two pieces of small music wire and a piece of silicone fuel hose for insulator. The other end uses a 1/8" phono jack from Radio Shack. I believe Keith Varley used the same setup, but he's gone 100% electric after his bloodbath of two years ago. Alan gave me one of the clips, and I intend to use it, just as soon as I can find it again, and the phono jacks I bought, preferably both at the same time.

I fumbled the glow ignitor into the prop on my .46VF.  Bits of APC prop went all over and the ignitor was totalled.  Minimal ground clearance didn't help, but the arthritis in my thumbs were a major contributor to the fumble.  >:(

Further, Pete Ferguson said he used a pair of Alkaline D cells for a whole season, and they worked fine. I went looking for battery clips for D cells, and all the multi-cell ones at Radio Shack are setup for series, NOT what we want. They're all plastic chit made in China now, so don't bother. If anybody knows where to find old-fashioned metal battery clips, let us know! I wanted to avoid a gel cell, but I'm going that direction, with a glow-driver/power panel and a long enough cord to reach an upside-down plane at a comfy height.   H^^  Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 09:18:46 PM »
If you have a nice big soldering iron it's easy to solder two lengths of brass tubing (of that magic size -- I really should go measure what I have) onto the tops & bottoms of a pair of D cells.  Then wrap them with electrical tape.  If you don't take forever the soldering doesn't damage the cells a bit, and a soldered joint is way more sound than anything you'd ever do with spring-loaded contacts.

Or just strip a couple of inches off of your glow clip cord and use that.  I prefer to be able to disconnect my clips from my battery, and I like to be able to plug in either a big-motor clip or a 1/2-A motor clip.
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 11:18:29 PM »
I am thinking about building my own battery box so that I could plug in a new set of Alkalines from the 2-11 store, just in case they were found to be flat at an inopportune time. Working up ideas on how to do that...I envision a box of 1/8" ply with some fixed contacts on one side and springy contacts on other side, battery locators and a lid. I will still need an alternate battery set to plug into the side of the plane if the Gel-Cell in my pit box poops out, tho I can also flick the little clip off the glowplug and stick an ignitor on it.  ~> Steve     
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 11:20:31 PM »
That's the other reason I do the tubing thing: I always have two battery sets made up and ready to go.  I use the current one 'til it poops out, then switch, and use the parts of the old one to build new.
AMA 64232

larry borden

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 04:34:55 PM »
The 4 D cell pack I used blows the glo plug as soon as it's hooked up. The way the batteries are mounted it looks like I'm pulling 3 volts. Like they're in series instead of parallel.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 11:41:40 PM »
That's the problem with all of the Radio Shack battery clips for multiple cells...wired in series. It looked like they could be modified, but I didn't feel like I needed to invest that much in something I would have to modify to put the cells in parallel. I also didn't feel like buying 4ea. single cell clips and wire them all together to get 1.5 volts. I'll see if I can find a url for Allied Electronics or someplace like that. Maybe somebody has a good source of old fashioned aluminum battery clips with soldering lugs?  :! Steve   

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 11:48:37 PM »
I have been using the cheap 2 cell D battery holder from radio shack. You do have to put one battery in backwards so you only have 1.5 volts. You also have to do some mods to the wiring. But once its done it does work well even for the tough 1/2As. It will last many sessions. And just carry a extra pack in your box.
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

larry borden

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 07:47:50 AM »
Thanks Rick. I'm thinking I could do the same with the 4 pack I have now. If not I may make another trip to RS for the one like you have.

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 09:39:08 AM »
I've rewired a Radio Shack battery holder also.  Pretty easy to do.  I use one of the old fashion "clothes pin" style clips I got from Brodak.  Works very well, but not very practical for cowled engines.  I'm still working on that issue, but the battery box works great.  Just make a good connection from the clip wire to the box.  I tend to pull the box away from the plane using the clip to keep the clip away from the prop.  Pulled the wire out of the box a few times before I got an industrial strength solder connection.  Pretty aggrevating if your NiCad glo battery is also dead.

Paul

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 10:30:36 AM »
If you're buiding your own starting battery look for a crock pot or electric fry pan cord.  Most of them are still made with rubber insulation.  It doesn't melt, it chars if it gets too hot.  Also stays flexible in any reasonable temperature for flying.  All the cheap plastic cord is stiff, and gets stiffer as the temps get colder.

For really top class wire, see if you can find silicon insulated double strand wire.  Silicon is just about bullet proof.  If you can't find double strand get a couple of pieces of 14guage wire for hooking up electric motors.  It has silicon insulation, but needs a few bits of heat shrink tubing to keep them together.
phil Cartier

larry borden

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 11:35:14 AM »
OK, splain it to me how to re-wire the 4 battery pack. I must be dense, thought I knew how to do this stuff.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 02:54:56 PM »
OK, splain it to me how to re-wire the 4 battery pack. I must be dense, thought I knew how to do this stuff.

Each one is going to be different, but the end result you want is for all the + sides of all the cells to be wired to one lead out, all the - sides of all the cells to be wired to the other lead out, and the two sides not wired to each other!
AMA 64232

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 03:10:09 PM »

Larry,

Here's a couple of pictures of what I did.  Clip out the old wires and soldier in the new.  I put a small bolt through the existing hole in the negative terminal to make a good contact with the negative end plate of the battery.  Hope this helps.

Paul

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 05:00:37 PM »
I found this online last night. The history of Radio Shack and Allied Electronics distracted me some. RS is owned by Tandy Corp, which most everybody knows. Tandy bought Allied, but was forced by the ITC to sell it, which seems stupid, since Allied's retail stores were about TU anyway. Some malls apparently had an RS at one end and an Allied at the other, which didn't do the franchise holders much good, admittedly, but the Allied stores were pretty much DOA by then.

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70182738

So, anyway...I found this source was the cheapest, but the postage for two each is about the same as the price for two each. It would be great to find a local source, but at the price of gas and the aggrivation of driving around most urban areas, not worth it. One thing that was interesting was that the shipping rates were different at the two different sources I found, for the same items.
Another one of life's mysteries, I guess.  >:( Steve

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 06:37:53 PM »
Some glow driver options.

The first pic shows two drivers that I bought, factory made, to hold two D cells wired in parallel. The one of the left is for 049 glow heads. They came from a local hobby shop in Sydney so they are available.

The second is my RCAT driver. The silver cylinder in the middle of the pic is the push and twist Sonic Tronics clip detached from the RCA plug on the cable. Laying around it is the cable I made up with a standard RCA line socket at one end, a length of speaker wire that I had lying around and a pair of alligator clips.

Another popular option at our club is an Enersys Cyclon 2v, 8AH sealed lead rechargeable E cell. They are used in the battery packs of three cells—if I remember correctly—for powering emergency lighting like exit signs in buildings. Under Oz law, they must be replaces after a certain period of time. The packs are normally thrown away but one of our club members is involved in the replacement process so there is a constant supply of these multi E cell battery packs. Inevitably, at least one cell is on the way out but there is always at least one that only requires recharging. The cells all have 1/4" auto spade lugs on the top so all you require is a couple of insulated female spade terminals, a piece of 2-core cable long enough to drop the voltage from 2v to 1.5v and a couple of alligator clips and you are away. If you think a long cable is a bit agricultural, you can always put a resistor in the line and use a shorter cable.

And Larry, to stop blowing your plugs, you must wire all the positive contacts together and all the negative contacts together. Do not connect positive to negative.

Most of these battery holders, although wired in series or series/parallel, have all their contacts held together with small rivets. It is not a major task to take the rivets out and rearrange the contacts so that all the springs are on one side and all the buttons are on the other then you wire all the positives together and all the negatives.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »
If you think a long cable is a bit agricultural, you can always put a resistor in the line and use a shorter cable.

Hah!  This is an aussie thing!

What's the matter with farmers, or with making do, or any of that?
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »
I don't like the ni-cad twist off ignitors ether. I'm thinking about going back to the old style, alligator clips. Just need a battery source. Wish I hadn't sold my Glo-Bee battery years ago.

I never made the plunge for one of those Glo-Bee "Fire Plugs" (?), but I think this is the battery that goes into them. From Geoff's post:  Enersys Cyclon 2v, 8AH sealed lead rechargeable E cell. I tried Googling for it, and found a bunch of sources, but picked this one for local availability. Since I'm only planning on some D-cells for a backup to a power panel/12v. 7amp gel cell, I'm not going to buy one of these. But I know a bunch of guys that are rabid about how much they like their Glo-Bee batteries. If you can find one at a swap meet that has a dead battery, this will probably fix it up.   n~ Steve

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/23737-0850--0004-8Ah-2V-Cyclon-E-Battery/100085-1/102624-SLA-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Batteries/102633-Cyclon/2V.aspx

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, 09:29:42 PM »
Tim, that's why there are so many Aussies in Formula 1 and Moto GP. They know how to diagnose and make do. H^^

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »
The one that fits in the Glo Bee Fire Plug is actually this one:
http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/23728-0800--0004-2V-5Ah-Cyclon-X-Battery/100085-1/102624-SLA-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Batteries/102633-Cyclon/2V.aspx
Any of their 2V cells will work, they are just different size/weight and total AH rating. These cells with long leads or a high wattage (at least 10 watt) .2 to .3 Ohm in series with the lead is far superior to any of the 1.2 NIMH or Nicd plug drivers, especially on cold days, or on a long week-end of flying. If you're concerned about size/weight check out the 2.5 AH size. It's the same size as a D cell, but with 1/4" spades for connection.
      Also, for those who are looking for nice twin lead wire, some of the new speaker wire is very flexable, relatively easy to find, and low resistance.  :D
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

larry borden

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 01:34:45 PM »
Still having problems hooking up the d cells. The picture shows how I have it set up and its still blowing plugs.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 02:49:54 PM »
Still having problems hooking up the d cells. The picture shows how I have it set up and its still blowing plugs.

OH!!!  :o

That holder forces you to connect pairs of batteries in series, which means that you'll always get 3V from it instead of 1.5.  I don't normally say "you can't get there from here, son" because there's so many ways to skin a cat.  But -- you can't get there from here, son.

One of my booster packs was due for replacement (it lasted two seasons then I forgot to disconnect the 1/2A plug from it -- them batteries gets warm when you shorts em' out!).  So I ripped it apart to show you the inner structure.

Solder on the appropriate length of 3/16" brass tubing to the tops and bottoms of the cells, cover with some scrap cardboard, wrap the whole thing neatly with black electrical tape -- voila, a booster pack.

Then schlep down to the Shack of Rats and get enough banana plugs to go with everything you might want to power up, and solder them onto their respective wires.  And -- you're set forever.

Use good thick wire -- there's no point making all that high-current power and then burning it up before it gets to your plug.
AMA 64232

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »

Larry,

If I'm seeing the photo correctly, you just need to solder a wire across the positive terminals.  I.E. the red wire should be soldered to the spring in the upper right part of the photo.  Leave the red wire as it is, but add a wire across to the spring.  Hope that makes sense.  Also, check the voltage with a VOM before testing it on a glo plug.  If you don't have one, I'll bet a neighbor does.

Paul

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »

Larry,

If I'm seeing the photo correctly, you just need to solder a wire across the positive terminals.  I.E. the red wire should be soldered to the spring in the upper right part of the photo.  Leave the red wire as it is, but add a wire across to the spring.  Hope that makes sense.  Also, check the voltage with a VOM before testing it on a glo plug.  If you don't have one, I'll bet a neighbor does.

Paul

Paul, with that holder, connecting + to + and - to -, Larry will still be left with a 2-series, 2-parallel arrangement.  That'll be twice the voltage that the plug should see and without a resistor it'll burn out the plug.

I'm pretty sure that the way he's got it now it's delivering 6V, which is worse yet.
AMA 64232

larry borden

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 06:34:44 PM »
Tim, you're right. I'm gonna do your method. Will a solder gun put too much heat into the battery to solder?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 06:39:38 PM »
Tim, you're right. I'm gonna do your method. Will a solder gun put too much heat into the battery to solder?

Probably not.  It's counter-intuitive, but the faster you get the thing up to heat and soldered, the better it is for the battery.  That's because you are going to get the metal up to solder-melt heat -- the faster that happens, the less hot everything around it is going to get.  So using a soldering gun or a honkin' big iron is a Good Thing.

I tin the cells and tubing first, then solder it together as fast as I can while still doing a reasonable job.
AMA 64232

larry borden

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 09:35:48 PM »
Here's my adaption of Tim's battery. Couldn't find tubing, so I'll get a female connector and male for the connector ends. One can be alligator clips, another with the clothes pin type. As usual, I made something relatively easy, hard. Thanks for the input, it was greatly appreciated.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 10:41:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the way he's got it now it's delivering 6V, which is worse yet.

I would consider getting another 4 cell holder and wiring them all in series (12v.),  then feeding that into a power panel and reeping the benefits of having pulsed 12v to the glowplug to burn off floods automatically.  y1 Steve

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 10:58:29 PM »
Here's my adaption of Tim's battery. Couldn't find tubing, so I'll get a female connector and male for the connector ends. One can be alligator clips, another with the clothes pin type. As usual, I made something relatively easy, hard. Thanks for the input, it was greatly appreciated.

Or, make up one set of batteries for each type.
AMA 64232

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »
Paul, with that holder, connecting + to + and - to -, Larry will still be left with a 2-series, 2-parallel arrangement.  That'll be twice the voltage that the plug should see and without a resistor it'll burn out the plug.

Tim,

Yes you are correct.  Sorry for the confusion.  I was in a hurry and didn't notice the 2x2 battery configuration.  I was thinking of the 1x4 battery configuration as shown in my pack above.  Thanks for clarifying for those I may have mislead.

Paul

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2012, 08:27:08 PM »
My best setup is a NiZn cell. That is Nickle Zinc. It has a static voltage of 1.6V. I got 2 from Ebay. I got 7 flying sessions for 2 people on the factory charge. I hard wire the cells using heater cord and alligator clips. I use a home made charger to charge it with.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here