News:

• April 18, 2024, 12:25:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chicken hopper tank ?.??????  (Read 3072 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Chicken hopper tank ?.??????
« on: August 27, 2019, 10:51:25 AM »
         Are these good to use on a profile stunt plane?

Tia, 

Frank McCune

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 05:18:38 PM »
Yes. Feed well as long as plane does not suffer bad vibrations. Especially useful in short nose profiles needing extra fuel capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Chicken hopper tank ?.??????
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 06:23:03 PM »
         Are these good to use on a profile stunt plane?

It depends. The issue with a lot of chicken hopper tanks is that they are very wide, and if you put them flat on the outboard side of the fuselage, you get too low a feed pressure to reliably work. Almost all of the commercial chicken hopper tanks I have seen (that look like a tiny Perfect tank soldered in the wedge of a larger Perfect tank) are far too wide for, say, a 20FP. Since they are usually also suction, this works for OK for most of the tank, then it goes lean, which people conclude is the dreaded "runaway" and then start cramming head gaskets in it or grinding something. The real cause is low fuel pressure as the tank runs out. If you try uniflow, it "runs away" right from the start. Of course, the faster it goes, the lower the fuel pressure, so it's also unstable as a bonus.

It's OK for engines with abundant (excessive) fuel suction, but frequently has problems with excessive speed-up through the flight, even it it keeps running otherwise OK. That's where the "no more than 1.5" wide tank" comes from, and why Dirty Dan said to mount the tank on the inboard side of the fuselage. Inboard mounts are inherently stable from a pressure standpoint, the faster it goes, the richer it gets.

Brett

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 11:11:30 PM »
Chicken hoppers regulate head pressure well. Better than conventional hard tanks. Dan Banjock and Mike Palko use 21 ounce chicken hoppers in their dynajet stunters. These planes do the pattern, big shapes, but recognizable. Dynajets are hyper sensitive to fuel flow. Fuel flow needs to be even as possible matched to the jetting required to fit air density/temperature of the day. Otherwise they flame out quick. Chicken hopper tanks apparently work well in this difficult configuration.

Perhaps fuel head in chicken hoppers is determined by the small tank attached to the larger tank. In other words engine behaves as though it is fed from a small footprint tank.

We use chicken hoppers a lot in our club. Work well. Feed well. On profiles common issue is vibration that causes foaming and bubbles. Hoppers will not cure that. We have a long list of stuff to try. Solutions vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkn
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 11:33:36 PM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 11:32:38 PM »
If we suspect bad vibes we start by bypassing uniflo. Often that solves the issue. If not, we go down the list.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 12:31:38 PM »
Chicken hoppers regulate head pressure well. Better than conventional hard tanks.

No, they don't regulate it at all, at least in the sense I meant it. They are no different from any other tank in terms of the quasi-static pressure head, and, they don't know what happens to it after it leaves the tanks and maybe travels 2 1/4" or so, uphill, against 2.5Gs worth of acceleration. Which is the key issue I was addressing.

The pressure at the fuel outlet is entirely determined by the depth of fluid from the reference pressure, the density of the fuel, and the acceleration (which is about 2.5G, with the exact value being determined by the speed and circle radius). The pressure at the needle valve is the outlet pressure at the tank, +- the fuel density, and the distance it has to travel against acceleration, and the acceleration. The shape of the container does not matter.

The reference pressure is set by the pressure at the vent, and the position of the vent. For a classic suction tank open to the air, it's the air pressure at the tank vent referenced to inboard edge of the fuel surface. For a uniflow tank, it's the air pressure at the tank vent at the position of the uniflow vent.

Dan Banjock and Mike Palko use 21 ounce chicken hoppers in their dynajet stunters. These planes do the pattern, big shapes, but recognizable. Dynajets are hyper sensitive to fuel flow. Fuel flow needs to be even as possible matched to the jetting required to fit air density/temperature of the day. Otherwise they flame out quick. Chicken hopper tanks apparently work well in this difficult configuration.

They are sensitive to *bubbles*, a single bubble or missed pulse will probably cause them to quit. That's why you want a chicken hopper, and why they were invented.

Brett

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 03:00:33 PM »
Hi Frank, I have started using C.H. tanks from Eric Rule on my profile planes. After having mixed results with uniflow and suction tanks the C>H> cured a lot of problems.  I do use muffler pres. most engines are LA40s and 46s. I get a nice smooth run through the whole tank they will go slightly lean at about 3 laps left which is no problem. I am a believer. I use both tongue mufflers and stock LA mufflers.

Rich

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 03:50:47 PM »
Chicken hoppers must be kind to head pressure. Dynajets are very sensitive to rate of fuel feed since this will immediately effect fuel/air ratio. Danny often needs to juggle jets to match atmospheric conditions. It’s a subtle dance. If head pressure varied much mix would be off engine would quit. They run through the tank when jetted right.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 04:06:11 PM »
I’ve used chicken hoppers on engines as small as 15s. They work well. Using whatever venturi they came with. Same for fp20s and 25s. If there is a problem, doesn’t appear to be the chicken hopper.  At times we’ve bypassed the uniflo running muffler pressure to the overflow. This produces a typicsl non uniflo run. Gradual increase in speed through the flight, same as any other non uniflo tank. We think it’s vibration issues causing fuel foaming:bubbling in the small confines of the hopper. Putting pressure into the main tank, instead of the hopper, appears to reduce the effect.

Far as I can tell it’s not the pressure that makes for a good run. It’s the stability of fuel flow.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 05:52:48 PM »
For the 20FP and 25LA, and particularly for the 25LA,  I suggest that the outboard edge of the tank on profile not go beyond 1 1/2" from the bottom of the mounting lugs , with no muffler pressure, and maybe 2" max with muffler pressure. The feed pressure does matter, in fact, it is critical.

Brett

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 07:17:19 PM »
Hello I have not used C.H tanks on a profile as I was always worried how far outboard it put the pickup and associated leaning out. I wonder if the hopper could go on the outboard side and main tank body on the inboard side in a profile ?
 Also if using muffler pressure is there is no advantage in using uniflow as you cancelled its affect and just need a vent to inboard side, is this correct?
I haven't run an inboard tank for 30+ years as they always went too rich in flight but are there better ways to manage them?

Regards Gerald

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 11:21:15 PM »
The Chicken hopper tanks you see for sale are not true chicken hoppers they are big tank little tank with various holes connecting the two and both are full of fuel. A true chicken hopper maintains an air space in the small tank that keeps the pressure from the big tank at bay. So before you get a bee in your bonnet make sure you know which design you're talking about because they are apples and oranges.

Motorman 8)

Hello
Went looking for pictures of the different styles and found this interesting post that covers Uniflow and Chicken hopper tanks
http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?printertopic=1&t=4343&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&finish_rel=-10000

Always thought of C.H  just as an 'sump' but more to it....

Regards Gerald

Regards Gerald

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 06:48:38 AM »
The Chicken hopper tanks you see for sale are not true chicken hoppers they are big tank little tank with various holes connecting the two and both are full of fuel. A true chicken hopper maintains an air space in the small tank that keeps the pressure from the big tank at bay. So before you get a bee in your bonnet make sure you know which design you're talking about because they are apples and oranges.

Motorman 8)

Well said.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 06:52:58 AM »
Hello I have not used C.H tanks on a profile as I was always worried how far outboard it put the pickup and associated leaning out. I wonder if the hopper could go on the outboard side and main tank body on the inboard side in a profile ?
 Also if using muffler pressure is there is no advantage in using uniflow as you cancelled its affect and just need a vent to inboard side, is this correct?
I haven't run an inboard tank for 30+ years as they always went too rich in flight but are there better ways to manage them?

Regards Gerald

Uniflow and chicken hopper tanks utilize (different) ways of handling fuel and air pressure to regulate fuel flow.  Both are nullified by muffler pressure or any other pressure system.

I agree about inboard tanks giving too much boost.  Also, outboard fuel tanks challenge the engine's ability to draw fuel.  So keep the fuel directly behind the engine.

When the birds eat enough food, a bubble enters the tank.  A true chicken hopper.
Paul Smith

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 11:41:32 AM »
This is a swell argument, but what happens inside the tank is only one issue. It is, however, critical, that some engines *do not run well when pulling the fuel uphill against centrifugal force* which *lowers the fuel pressure at the engine*, and also creates an unstable situation where speeding up reduces the fuel pressure even more.

Effectively, with a 2" wide tank on a profile, it is like you took a running engine on the bench, and then dropped the tank about 4" below the spraybar. That *will* lean it out, that is exactly what happens when it takes off and is now pulling the fuel 1.5" "uphill" against 2.5 Gs.  If that leans it out enough to speed up, the 2.5Gs becomes 2.6Gs, leaning it out more, which speeds it up, which makes it 2.7Gs, etc, in a "positive feedback" situation. Only if the load reduction from forward motion slows it down more than the leaning out speeds it up, are you going to have a stable system.

Brett

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 07:34:35 AM »
CL theorizing must be a subset of our hobby. Often engaged, rarely agreement. Track explanations for how uniflo works. Not much overlap in the different explanations. Our discussion of chicken hopper tanks seems headed there. In any case I’ll upload a picture of my long time flown jrStreak powered by an Fp15. Overpowered great fun. Tank has been a 2 ounce chicken hopper. Never an issue with the tank, despite the high speed turns. The tank definitely looks weird at first. Fuel feed tube exits near the top of the cylinder. It works. Engine runs very well through maneuvers. I’ve used chicken hoppers on many profiles. Engines range from 15 to 46 in size.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:35:01 AM by Dennis Moritz »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 11:32:03 AM »
CL theorizing must be a subset of our hobby. Often engaged, rarely agreement. Track explanations for how uniflo works. Not much overlap in the different explanations.

You not understanding the laws of physics from 6th grade science class is not a problem with the rest of us.  The late Jim Thomerson explained uniflow tanks over and over again, correctly,  using references from the 1800s (although the principle was undoubtedly known in the days of the Greeks). There's no debate how they work, or that they work. It's not a matter of opinion

I fail to understand why it's so important for you to pretend to know something, when you obviously cannot follow the simplest explanations. You *know guys* who understand things, that doesn't mean you do.

Brett

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 01:31:42 PM »
I read the Greeks frequently. Poetry and plays. Apparently your brilliance Brett does not match the practical experience of folks who use these tanks all the time.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 01:52:16 PM »
There are so many contradictions and ridiculous conclusions in your statements Brett. Your bullying does not disguise the obvious. If the chicken hopper tank behaved anything like your description it would be unusable. Many of us on the other hand find they work well. Your professed brilliance is tiresome to many. I find it a source of humor, a joke. Perhaps you are profoundly insecure. Get help.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 09:36:56 PM »
I read the Greeks frequently. Poetry and plays. Apparently your brilliance Brett does not match the practical experience of folks who use these tanks all the time.

Do yourself a favor, and search out Jim Thomerson's explanation of uniflow and chicken hopper tanks. They have the origins in steam power applications. I think he did some with illustrations and diagrams. I think you will be impressed, no, I KNOW you will be impressed. Jim was a member of our club here in St. Louis for many years until his retirement and is missed and often remembered. He used to make models of the system using cardboard and soda straws. We just cleaned out a club member's basement shop last weekend and I found one of those there, and sorry to say it got thrown away in a weak moment.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2019, 06:34:50 AM »
There have been many explanations of uniflo on these forums. Perhaps your friend makes sense perhaps your friend nails it. Perhaps not. The explanations of how uniflo works published on these forums differ. That’s what I referred to. Here some of the descriptions of how a chicken hopper works and behaves on a profile U Control plane do not match with my experience and the experience of members of our club. We are reading the same thread aren’t we. Like the discussions of Fox 35s like the discussions of Fp 20s 25s and 40s. So what. These are discussions. If we needed engineering degrees or physics degrees or if this was peer review science the vast majority would not qualify for an opinion. Besides the engineers and whatnot on these forums often differ in their approaches and opinions.

If you don’t like what I said about a specific person tell the person to cool it and not provoke me personally.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2019, 06:19:44 PM »
You guys are putting me on right. Greek steam engine uniflo chicken hopper moon rocket. The one designed and built by Brett in his past life.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 08:24:24 PM »
   I'm not puttin' anybody on. Jim Thomerson was not an "engineer type", as you put it. Neither am I. He was a very intelligent man, and was a world recognized botanist and was a professor at SIU Edwardsville. But when you met him in person, he seemed just like a good old boy from Texas, which is exactly what he was. He just had a great way of explaining things that was easy to understand, and this is what made him such a success as a teacher/professor. You search out some of his posts and you'll see what I mean.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 09:59:49 PM »
Oh ok. You guys are in a snit because my honest accounts of how this tank performs in a toy airplane does not confirm your whatever theories. Let that sink in will you. Brilliant Brett accuses me of what offending the memory of someone I know nothing about because and furthermore... I have no idea why. Brilliant Brett Mr Fp20 is offended. Ridiculous. I built these airplanes at 10 or 11. You did too. Grow up.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2019, 07:58:58 PM »
   I ain't in a snit about nothin'! Just thought you would like to expand your horizons a bit with some pertinent information on the subject. You seem to be the one in a snit. Like the old saying says, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
  You're welcome,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 02:55:26 AM »
   I ain't in a snit about nothin'! Just thought you would like to expand your horizons a bit with some pertinent information on the subject. You seem to be the one in a snit. Like the old saying says, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
  You're welcome,
   Dan McEntee

Ditto

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 08:03:08 AM »
Please re-read post#11. Dennis, the characteristics you have described and which work for you are just what you'd expect from a "baffled uniflow" tank. The "little tank soldered to the big tank" is NOT a chicken hopper tank, it is a uniflow with internal baffles.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2019, 09:13:14 AM »
    Gerald mentioned something about running a tank on the inboard side of a profile plane & I did this 30 years ago I remember how Gerald described it is exactly what happened to me. Was running a FP .40 which would lean out & quit. Some guy that was Miles ahead of me mention moving the tank inboard. It worked but would go rich after launch. So I built an Imitation profile with a cutout in the nose allowing me to adjust the engine run , richness by sliding the tank  left  or  right.   

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2019, 01:35:06 PM »
    Gerald mentioned something about running a tank on the inboard side of a profile plane & I did this 30 years ago I remember how Gerald described it is exactly what happened to me. Was running a FP .40 which would lean out & quit. Some guy that was Miles ahead of me mention moving the tank inboard. It worked but would go rich after launch. So I built an Imitation profile with a cutout in the nose allowing me to adjust the engine run , richness by sliding the tank  left  or  right.

And if everything is right and tight on your fuel system,that is exactly what should happen.. That  is why on profile models ai try to keep the tank as narrow as possible. I mount plastic rectangle tanks with the longer width dimension running vertical. Much easier to set up and needle.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2020, 03:51:57 PM »
Where the hell are the Moderators?

This is exactly the reason I no longer post here.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2020, 09:05:07 AM »

Then why post to a thread that the last reply was well over a month old?  So I have to ask, what exactly is the reason?
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2020, 09:53:23 AM »
So Chris you slogged through a bunch of posts-- topic Chicken hopper --and found some members have a strong argumentative personality.....there is was/is no moderation needed --yet....the argument did not escalate out of control. In fact until your note, the issue was dropped

like I say in every " I hate off topic politics post" :

This is NOT THE TWILIGHT ZONE   you do have control over the channel....if something YOU SELECTED OFFENDS YOU....stop reading....select Netflix or Hulu, or Disney....

or if you must be offended...... drop all the way down to "supporters forum and" vent at your leisure

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 10:12:24 AM »

But you just did post here?????

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2020, 06:26:43 PM »
Gentlemen,  I no longer post here in any meaningful way,  and from time to time only browse the forums.

And as to the don't read it if you don't like it idea,  how does one form an opinion unless it's read first?

OK,  having said that I object to -
The authors style of questioning,  it's always so broad that it leads to the responders being precise and then the argument starts and then it gets personal. And the author has used the same tactic for years and over many sites, the correct  answer to such non specific questions always a "depends" one and he rarely responds to any answer given but prefers to sit back and watch posters rip holes in beach other.
Let see, we ask Christmas stocking filler questions like "Do chicken hopper tanks work on profile models?" (sorry should have added a dozen????? To make the heading seem like its useful).
Bit like asking how long is a bit of string - and oh yes the answer is always depends. But responders fall for the trap time and time again By trying to help.

That and if any argument starts to attack the person and not the content you know it's lost legitimacy.

These two points alone should attract moderation but I suppose  I am now the target of the verbal Barbs for drawing attention to it.
The real thing missing in all of this is a reply,  a thank you or a return question from the author,  but no and I left it to stew for months in an effort to give a reasonablre amount of time in order to do so.

Threads like this are deliberate bait and I simply can't wait for another like "Do carbon fibre props work on my Fox? " or "What oil do I use after run? " Topics and questions like this turn forums into bear pits  and Mods should be aware of them.

What qualifies me to say this,  I am one myself.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2020, 03:40:49 PM »
Hey, let's talk about tanks. 

Here at our NVCL club, Scott Richlen gave a good workshop on tank repair, just last week.  The major part I learned was to pressurize the tank with air, submerged, to check for leaks. 

Though the weather is not great at the moment, looking forward to flying soon.

Peter

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2020, 03:56:54 PM »
back in the 50's and early 60;s there was a lot of work done with chicken hopper tanks for FAI team  racers,until they found that they could get just as good results with a uni flow tank with half the plumbing

I have a true chicken hopper team race tank but cant post pictures here. if any one wants, I can email u pictures of it and all it's plumbing
rad racer

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2020, 05:45:53 PM »
Got the tank pics.  Have not figured out the plumbing.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here