News:

• May 17, 2024, 02:25:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rocket ignition engine  (Read 482 times)

Offline Don Curry AMA 267060

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Rocket ignition engine
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:48:36 PM »
A while back I was in my garage one evening working on models and one of my neighbors stopped by and gave me an old engine he saaid he had since the fifties. The only markings on it is the rocket logo. no size or numbers. It is in fair condition but messing the fuel bowl and ignition coil. He said he had run it on white gasa and 70 wt, motor oil. I would like to hear it run . does anyone have parts or information on ingitin engines?
Don Curry

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Rocket ignition engine
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:13:16 PM »
Don, if the ignition points, cam, etc. are all there and in good shape, coils are available.

Not cheap, neither are spark plugs...

BobZ does a lot with spark... may give you better info.

Luck - and there's nothing like the smell of gasoline and 70W in the morning... but a low nitro glow fuel may be a WHOLE lot simpler to use...

BTW, the Rocket is about a .60, and may have a reputation as a strong shaker, at least on spark...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 02:43:46 PM »
I believe the Rocket is a .46, but I've been wrong many times before. Also has a somewhat involved, multi-part piston assembly.

Ralph
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 03:57:13 PM »
The cam and points are there and look good. I have a new Champion plug. The main problem is the missing fuel bowl. Does this coil require a condenser and if so how do you determine the microfarad rating for it?

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 07:59:10 PM »
Don - I have run my Rocket and it's a pretty user friendly engine.
It's a .46 and will run fine on 3 parts gasoline to 1 part castor. That's the mix I use in ALL my spark engines.
A 10-6 or 11-6 prop will do for starters.
Coils are easy to find - there's a fellow named Bartelt who sells all sorts of stuff for vintage engines.
For a condenser, just go to any auto parts store and get one from a 65 Ford or thereabouts. Works like a charm.
I used three AA or AAA Ni-Cads for all my spark planes.

Hope this helps,
                        Bob Z.

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 08:43:02 AM »
Thanks for all the information. I found a seller on E-Bay that was selling a Rocket cutaway engine. I e-mailed him and it sounds like he has some spare parts also. He is checking on a fuel tank for mine.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here