Engine basics > Engine set up tips

Castor Based Auto oils for model engines?

(1/2) > >>

Harry Rice:
Hi Folks,

Many years ago (1960's), we used to put castor based oils in our motor bikes 'cos it smelt nice!!

To my amazement, I have just found out that not only is it still made, there are now several versions of the stuff!!!!:

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9002190&contentId=7002718#7009823

I know it's probably only European based but any opinions/practical experience would be welcome.

imho, I would suspect they may well be better than straight castor oil?

Cheers

Harry

phil c:
Find out if it is mostly or all castor.  If it is blended with petroleum it may not mix very well with alcohol.  I used something called Blendzall a number of times, a prepackaged castor oil with additives.  It worked fine.

L0U CRANE:
Harry,

In reading material from UK and other (formerly Empire) English speaking nations  over the past few years, I seem to recall some bemoaning of the unavailaility of old Castrol-M, and the inadequacy of its replacement. 

Possibly some FAI competitors in racing and/or combat are more current on this than I?

Dick Fowler:
We use to use Castrol in our Motocross bikes... haven't seen it on the shelves for many years. I do remember that it smelled good but also remember that inhaled Castor Oil worked the same as if ingested!  %^

Harry Rice:
Hi  Gentlemen,

Lou, it is indeed available - at 35GBP per 4 litres ($60!) for less than a gallon!

I guess it must be good - but so is a good malt whisky!!

Still, might try some one day when I am feeling wealthy (and the wife's not about!).

Cheers

Harry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version