News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:37:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 40 Stunt Engine Ebay Find  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fox 40 Stunt Engine Ebay Find
« on: May 31, 2018, 08:28:35 PM »
The other day I was able to buy what looks to be a brand new Fox 40 Stunt engine for $6 plus $9 shipping. I had one of these back in the early 1970s,but don't remember much about it. Just for discussion purposes ,does anyone have any  info about this engine?
I do know that there was a service "problem" with the first series of these....what was it? I think I might have sent mine back to Duke back in the day.....Cheers,Skip

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fox 40 Stunt Engine Ebay Find
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 09:47:25 PM »
Skip,
These are Schnuerle ported and will produce a lot of power. Here is a link to an engine review.

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Fox%2040%20RC.html

From what I can tell it should do good with a lower pitch prop arounf 10 - 11K

Best,    DennisT

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 12:53:14 AM »
Hello
The Fox 40 stunt as tested by Peter Chinn in 1972 is a heavy weight 40 that uses what he describes 'Garofali' porting like Supre Tigre's ie G15, G21 etc
Not a high rpm motor with best torque around 8000 between 9000 rpm latter Fox 40's like the B and combat derived C frame are Schnuerle ported.  Most sports style motors can be made to work well and Peter Tindall from England used it with a lot of success back in the 1970's. Personally I think the light weight C frame 40 has the best potential out of the smaller Fox's I've used.
Regards Gerald

Pics show the early 70's 40 and the latter lightweight 40

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 11:58:13 AM »
Dennis it's not the schnuerle ported one, it is the one in the picture posted by Gerald that is labeled 40 stunt.Thanks guys.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 02:34:40 PM »
Very little practical experience with the 'Stunt 40' shown. Some, though.

As I recall, it was a difficult engine to assemble so that it ran well and felt free while not running. The problem may have been the spacer/cooling fin block, a separate piece of aluminum clamped between the bottom end and the head. ANY misalignment or carelessness in torquing the top end together would distort the sleeve. Running hot from misalignment, losing power, increasing wear...

Even when the stack had been torqued so the engine felt free when cold, differential cooling in flight seemed to affect the fit. I didn't care enough for the engine to persist. The problems may have had simple fixes, but the wide case and unorthodox length fore/aft of the mounting holes seemed to dissuade me from building separate models to cure an engine I was already uncomfortable with.

The next family of Fox iron, Schneurle, "40-ish" engines were also large - the initial shiny finish big banjo-back 40 and 45, with exterior bypass bump. Good, if a few ounces heavy, and trying to give too much power in too dramatic  a way. The later editions with the bead-blasted c/cases and straight bypass outer shape only needed a bit lower compression ratio to run smoother, longer per ounce and with very useful manners in a low 2cycle on a larger diameter low-pitch prop. Very durable, consistent and dependable. For me; your mileage may vary. This was back in the early-80's, before ABC Schneurle hi=RPM became popular.

BTW the banjo-back early versions needed care setting relative tank height. It was quite different, particularly when profile mounted. (I developed a simple way to guess-timate tank height before first flight, which if not perfect was close enough to survive a first flight. A busted model cannot be fixed by adjusting tank height...)

I may describe this once more in another post if anyone shows interest. I know it has saved a few models for me.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 07:20:06 PM »
Dennis it's not the schnuerle ported one, it is the one in the picture posted by Gerald that is labeled 40 stunt.Thanks guys.

This is the "large case" Fox 40. It runs very nicely with a gently 4-2 break and is probably about as powerful as a Fox 35, although it is OK with an 11-6, so the performance overall it a bit higher. It is also HUGE, but it runs fine.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 07:31:49 PM »
I have 2 of the Fox 40 from the 1970s that is shown, they run very well, and I had a flying partner that used one on a large airplane, t was large back then, a 54 inch chipmunk wing with a larger fuse, so iit was a good bit larger than a Nobler, and over 600 sq in, the FOX used a Rev-Up 11 x 6 and ran a nce 4/2 , Pulled the airplane with pretty easy, and was good in winds. Not as powerful as an HP40 or  ST46, but much more power than a Fox35 or  OS 35-S , Closer  to the power of a OS 40-H ,
If I was to use one today, and I would put it in a Classic ship, I would use 24% oil 10 nitro, half synthetic on the oil, Yes the engine is a little heavy, and  YES t runs better than the loop charged later model FOX 40s, and  not much difference in weight between them

Randy

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 08:41:54 PM »
   This is the engine that is believed by some that George Aldrich had something to do with, I think. After all his success at the time with the .35 Stunt, I find it hard to believe that he couldn't come up with something better than this engine. It has been discussed here before. I think I have two, but never got around to trying them on anything. Gotta build a profile "mule" with adjustable mounts to try all these odd ball engines in one of these days..
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 06:06:25 AM »
Thanks all for jumping into the discussion. What I remember, is that the one I had way back when was a nice runner. That was the reason why I put a bid on it. Couldn't believe it sold for only $6..............

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 04:36:26 PM »
      Hi Skip:

I had one of these Fox engines on a Magician for many years and it was a joy and pleasure to use.  It started very easily and had a great 4-2-4 break!  Big and heavy yes, but it performed without fault with a 10-6 prop.  You will like slow way that it flies but with good power.  Use it and enjoy it for what it was designed for.

I spent quite a long time talking to Mr. Fox about this engine he thought that it was a great engine for what it was designed to do, stunt.

Best of luck,

Frank McCune

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 07:12:55 PM »
I plan on putting it in one of the "classic" stunters.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 07:39:37 AM »
      Skip:

I used an 11-6 wood prop on my Fox 40 Stunt and NOT a 10-6.  Mr. Fox told me that the engine worked best with that prop.  I had no problems with this engine and performed flawlessly!  Enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Frank

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 09:28:13 AM »
I missed that one or you would not have gotten it for $6!  I had one in the 70's.  Built a 10% upsize of my competition 35 design for it.  Engine performed magnificently.  Didn't like to run fast but it had plenty of power and a nice 4-2.  The plane unfortunately had a warped fully sheeted wing and never saw competition.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here