News:

• May 03, 2024, 11:09:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox .35 Stunt muffler question  (Read 2242 times)

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
Fox .35 Stunt muffler question
« on: August 03, 2014, 12:51:24 PM »
I have a Fox .35 with a date on the data sheet of November 1980.

What muffler will fit that engine?

Thanks in advance.

Just glad to be here

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Fox .35 Stunt muffler question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 02:14:26 PM »
              That engine should have the small ears on the case. Any Fox .35 muffler will fit that engine. The problem with the small ears are that they break. They don't just break from crash damage but also vibration. This can be resolved by using steel brake line JB welded to the side of the cylinder.  The newer current  blimp style works, but it's pretty much a useless fishing weight. The new muffler will quiet the engine considerably but robs a lot of power and also retains too much heat. Cutting off the stinger on the end and allowing the muffler to flow as freely as possible is wisely suggested. Many don't like the fact of cutting things off, but this muffler will many times interfere with landing gear applications and removing the end is the cure as it serves a dual purpose.  The best option is to find a older 1974 era Fox muffler. Finding these are a bit tough but they can be found.  This muffler totally envelops the exhaust stack and is a direct fit for the Fox .35. The sides of this muffler can easily be tapped to accept two screws for a radiator hose clamp. The muffler can now be used to fit ANY Fox .35 including older wide bypass non eared Fox's.  Do a shotgun blast of the muffler and take out the guts in their entirety. Open the rear hole as large as physically possible. Screw or pop rivet the rear end cap on. I prefer the pop rivet otherwise the endcap will just fall out and you will never find it.

Randy Smith can also provide you with a far superior working tongue muffler to the stock mufflers that Fox provided. Randy's muffler will work on your engine with no modifications other than opening the holes up slightly. I usually open them to 7/64" and only add more holes if overheating becomes an issue. Here's a picture of what I feel was one of the best Fox mufflers. This is mounted on a 1980's Fox.35. https://www.facebook.com/PhillyFliersCL/photos/a.515143271889145.1073741831.513140418756097/673288052741332/?type=1&theater  This particular muffler was made available with the front end in different lengths one being long, and one short. I have to use a CB Tatone spinner backplate as a spacer to allow for prop clearance due to the longer nose. Ken
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:27:22 PM by kenneth cook »

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:37:34 AM »
Dave,
You can also fit up any muffler that fits the OS 35 FP to it (correction to original post of an OS FP 25, that fits the K&B 40). RSM has a tongue muffler that I have been using that works well on unpressurized uniflow. Once you put the muffler on the Fox 35 you need to be careful of two things: one, don't over tighten the muffler bolts as it can distort the case and cause binding of the piston/sleeve and really mess up the run (check this by taking out the plug and turning the motor through the full stroke as you tighten the muffler, use lock tight to keep bolts from backing out).

Second is heat over load that then causes the motor to runaway. The Fox 35 has a thin case with shallow fins. It relies on fuel for much of its cooling, the major component being the oil content. Two things to do if you can't get enough rpm from the rich 4 cycle setting need for the load you have. First, make sure you have at least 25% oil, 27-28 would be better, syn and castor blend is OK, just needs quantity.  If the fuel doesn't do it reduce the prop load. Different prop designs load the motor differently so a 10x6 Zinger would normally be more load then a Rev-Up or RSM or APC. You can also go down in diameter to a 9x6 (I use an old Top Flite), this works fine on my El Diablo and give good speed and nice motor run.

Best,      DennisT
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:21:54 AM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 12:07:10 PM »
The 25FP muffler won't fit a Fox 35, it's about an 1/8" narrower than the Fox. 

The OS 35/40FP (RC os FP-S), LA 40/46, 25FSR-32F, Magnum 36, etc muffler will all fit the small ear Fox 35s.  But unless it's an aftermarket muffler for one of those engines, it's probably too heavy to consider.  There are a ton of aftermarket tongue mufflers that work well.  The stock Fox mufflers aren't worth the trouble either, since in stock form they're garbage and they tend to go for big money on Ebay.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 03:41:29 PM »
In my experience, Fox stunt 35s run fine on muffler pressure. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here