News:

• April 25, 2024, 07:48:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak .40  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak .40
« on: August 09, 2020, 07:44:40 PM »
Hi all, I replaced the tired Johnson Stunt (small case) in my Hemstrought PT-19 with a Brodak .40.
I have no experience with this motor and Id like to hear from those who have.
what  prop works best, what fuel and how much fuel to fly the pattern,

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak .40
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 08:04:42 PM »
   Hi Larry;
    I have one on a profile model that is basically a SIG Twister that is Fancherized to look like a Shark.35. I run mine on SIG Champion 10% nitro or anything similar, and when new needed almost 5 ounces to do the pattern here in the midwest. That got better over time if memory serves me correctly it's between 3 3/4 to 4 ounces now that the engine has some time on it. Props are APC 11-4, APC 11.5-4, ThunderTiger 11.5-4 or 11.5-5 ( this is the prop that Randy Smith had a bunch made and are available from him,)  and for a full fuselage model like that, any 11-4 or 11-5 prop is worth trying. I broke mine in as per instructions with 20 or so 2 minute long runs on a test stand using a 10-4 prop, cooling  to the touch in between runs.
  There have been several "runs" of these engine made through the years, and some guys have had some issues, but I don't recall anyone having any major issues with them. I think these are made at the same factory as the Double Star engines and other Russian engines and such??? I haven't had mine down off the wall in a while but it's still almost like new with a LOT of time on it, so they are pretty durable., good metallurgy.

Good luck with yours, and type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 08:39:51 PM »
Larry....They are terrific engines...especially those made after the first two production runs.
They like flat props and a spirited speed, ala a tuna piped engine.

I had good luck with lighter props in the 4 pitch area, and have had really good luck with a 10 1/2 X 4 1/2 APC.

Have fun

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 09:35:06 PM »
Larry I have had several of them over the years and loved them.  I agree with Rich, I ran 10.5 x 4.5 APC on mine and they worked fine.

Mike

Offline Warren Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 10:28:59 PM »
Hi all, I replaced the tired Johnson Stunt (small case) in my Hemstrought PT-19 with a Brodak .40.
I have no experience with this motor and Id like to hear from those who have.
what  prop works best, what fuel and how much fuel to fly the pattern,

Call Antone he is the master at running them, and don't call him what you usually call him.

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 10:51:30 PM »
Call Antone he is the master at running them, and don't call him what you usually call him.

Thanks Warren. I do recall his engine runs were pretty awesome.
Text me his number and I’ll give him a call.
Don’t worry, I’ll be nice to him until I get all the information that I need.
You know I love the guy.

Offline Robin_Holden

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 01:31:42 AM »
Good morning all from Spofforth village in North Yorkshire , England.

I have an early B40 . Wonderful engine , once broken in carefully.
It loves the APC 10.5 x 4.5 and the Bolly 10.5 x 5.

Mine is in a Sig Banshee. I launch , using the Bolly prop’ set at around 10,200.

Currently using fuel with 20% castor and 10% nitro.

Keep well during this health crisis .

Robin.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 02:59:03 AM »
                My son has been flying a Hemstrought PT-19 with a Brodak .40 for many years now. Probably going on 12 now. His is the first edition which is a one flip starter every time. A terrific combination. Our prop is a APC 10x5 and we've never needed to change it or try another. The engine has a Randy Smith tongue muffler with the holes opened up to what I believe is 3/32". It might possibly be 7/64" no extra holes just opened the amount that was on the muffler. When new, this engine used a lot of fuel compared to when it was broken in which as mentioned took a good bit of flights.

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 11:25:03 AM »
From all of the reports I have gotten over the years the Brodak .40 is a good engine. Only comments I have ever heard was the needle valve (copy of the old Fox .35 twin hole spray bar) should be replaced with a ST51 unit to stop the tendency to flood. Also been told about the excessive fuel consumption due to the 0.309 venturi. Most people simply reduced the venturi hole to 0.295 by sliding a thin wall aluminum tube in and cross drilling at the spray bar location. Once these two minor mods were done the Brodak .40 worked great.

Say "HI" to Mr. Kephart for me.

Online John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 06:19:57 PM »
I have been using a 10 x 6 prop on my Brodak 40 with a 2-4 break. Many here have indicated that they use and like a 10.5 x 4.5 or the sort. With this type of prop are you running a 2-4 break or no break?

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 07:26:16 PM »
B40 == Easy to Achieve Break, most any prop. 

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 10:38:30 AM »
I use B40 in OTS airplanes in that weight in the mid 30 oz. range with reasonable success.   My biggest complaint with the motors I have encountered  is that the connecting rod is bushed at one end only (crank pin) which make this a life limited engine.  I do have one rod that had the wrist pin end bushed by an expert machinist.  There is very little parent material in the rod end making this is a very difficult procedure.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 07:59:33 AM »
Sorry but I will disagree with needing an upper rod end bushing.
Yes, the lower end needs one as it is subject to high speed rotary motion.
The upper end sees only oscillating motion.
Furthermore, I have never witnessed a Brodak 40 returned to us because of a worn upper (or lower) rod end bushing.
Regarding a "limited life" engine, that pretty well describes every engine ever made. They ALL develop wear at some point, whether its connection rod, cylinder/piston, or crankshaft bushing/bearing wear. I have even serviced a few Foxes and McCoys that had unacceptable wear on the crankshaft.
I still have in my possession the original Brodak 40, the first one to arrive here. I was at Brodaks when it arrived and we used it to test a number of the new ARF/ARC planes. I do not know how many hours it has accumulated as I loaned it to a number of people to try before they purchased their own engine.
I instructed everyone I loaned it to to use ONLY Brodak 10/23, 50-50 fuel.
I really have no idea how much time the engine has but I'd bet that it is well over 1000 flights.
This engine shows NO SIGN of wear. John gave it to me and asked that I keep  an eye on it and report any wear issues to Sergai Ivanov, who builds the engines. The engine is still in like-new condition, starts and runs perfectly.
If anyone does encounter a premature wear problem, I will gladly assist in evaluating and solving the problem.
The Brodak 40 is, in my opinion, the best all-around stunt/sport engine ever made.

Bob Z.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 02:15:41 PM »
Yes, Motorman, we were indeed considering a Brodak 60.
It was to be a classic design (baffle piston) with modern materials.
Since we received quite a few inquires requesting a classic 60, we toyed with the idea of creating ST 60 clone.
John asked me to send Sergai a Super Tiger 60, one with muffler lugs, for evaluation.
All the numbers, timing, crankcase volume, compression ratio, etc, would be the same.
The only major difference would be piston/liner materials. It would be slightly more costly than the 40 due to the addition of ball bearings.
BUT, we also were considering a plain bearing version.
For some reason (possibly conflict of interest), John decided to forgo the project and Sergai returned the engine.

Bob Z.

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 02:48:11 PM »
If you want a “classic “ .60 call Tom Dixon about a Stalker .

The Brodak .40 and .25 have stood up very well for me . I have abused the.25’s for years in speed limit combat using 15% nitro 20% synthetic fuel running 8x4 and 8x5 props .

The only failure was due to a pit man sticking the glow plug clip in the exhaust. He put a BIG gouge in the piston and it still ran ! Just not real fast .

Brad

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here