News:

• April 23, 2024, 03:35:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak 25 Stunt set up  (Read 886 times)

Offline John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Brodak 25 Stunt set up
« on: May 06, 2023, 07:43:08 AM »
I have read much here on setting up the 25FP and 25LA for a "modern stunt run". My question is, do the same principles apply to the Brodak 25?

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak 25 Stunt set up
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 09:31:48 AM »
I have the prototype and the only mod I've made was to enlarge the somewhat small combustion chamber.
I radiused it out to a .03 wide squish band, tapered upward around 5 degrees.
It definitely helped and I relayed the information to the manufacturer but I don't know if he incorporated the changes..

Bob Z.

Offline John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 10:39:13 AM »
Thanks for your response Bob. I'm not able to make modifications. For the 25 FP and 25 LA Brett espouses I believe a 9-4 prop and a setting just less than peak RPM. With no modifications. I'm wondering about that approach for the Brodak 25.     

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 12:17:51 PM »
Hi, John.
I've not tried that approach but You should try it.
Brett is quite knowledgeable regarding to 20 to 25 size engines.
The Brodak 25 does like nitro.
After my mod, I ran it on 20% nitro, 23% 50/50 lube and the remainder methanol nitro and it was fine.
I tried it with 9-5 and 9-6 wood props.
The combinations worked well.

However, I'm not sure if the production engines had incorporated my mod.

Bob Z.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 12:15:19 PM by Robert Zambelli »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 12:56:38 PM »
   I bought two brand new ones when they first came out. I had been using LA and FP .25s for a long time, was familiar with the Brodak .40, so I was expecting performance from the B-25 to be on par with the LA and FP, but with characteristics similar to the .40. I had a Ringmaster with an LA .25 on it at that time and it was an easy swap out after I had done a "per the instructions" break in. I run APC 10-4 props for the most part on the OS engines, and tried the same with Brodak, and it didn't make enough power to pull my hat off my head! I tried all sorts of props. The engine would needle fine, run where ever I set it at, and sound OK, just no power, really anemic! I posted to some other threads at the time about my experience and soon I got a call from Tom Hampshire asking me to send him the engine. i did so and a few weeks later got it back. I had marked all the parts when I checked the inside for any issues, and when I got it back, all my original parts were still there. What was different, was that he had modified the exhaust to a straight through affair. I bolted the engine back up to the Ringmaster and much better results!! It ran on par with the LA at least. I think the FP has an edge on over all power amongst the three. Since the B-25 and the B-40 use the same muffler, I did a few test flights on my profile Shark that I have a B-40 mounted on, and the straight through muffler changed the B-40 from the stable, predictable engine it was into a monster with an explosive break!! I liked what i had before that, so just put the stock back on and left it at that for that airplane. So in short, the exhaust was pretty restrictive. i had read where guys loved the engine for .25 sized club racing events, but never considered a "Potato in the tail pipe" scenario with the engine. I've put them both away , and haven't revisited them, but since then have never really read anything where anyone else has had any other big discoveries about them, hd any major issues, or any improvements. They evidently sell well still, and guys still club race them, especially down under. I might dig them back out soon and revisit them again.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 03:41:56 PM »
Yes, guys in the USA run Brodak .25's in Super Slow Rat--which isn't so slow any more. Better power than the FP, which was slightly better than the LA. And, the Brodak seems to restart well if you have one with a good fit.

The one issue for stunt and sport flying that I discovered was that the mufflers on at least one batch of .25 engines did not have a machined manifold. A friend was having trouble with power loss and when hot, the crankshaft was hard to turn. I pulled the muffler to take a look at the piston. As soon as the muffler was off, the engine freed up. The poor surface flatness was warping the case and the sleeve. We found a flat work surface and some wet-or-dry paper and lapped the muffler. End of problem....  It ran sweet on a Goldberg Shoestring.

Dave

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 09:38:13 PM »
Hi, John.
I've not tried that approach but You should try it.
Brett is quite knowledgeable regarding to 20 to 25 size engines.

Well,  a few notable specific examples, at least. My impression of the limited testing and observation of the Brodak 25 (which didn't exist when I did the original small engine experiments) is that the 25LA or FP setup is really not going to work. It was advertised as a "throwback" 4-2 break engine and that seemed about right. As such, it probably works well with a 9-5 or 9-6, but is very unlikely to work with a 9-4 or 10-4 the way the 20FP or 25LA does, nor would I put it on a typical 35-sized airplane like a Twister and expect good performance - it would probably fly the airplane, but not as well as a baffle-piston 35.

Brett

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2023, 05:40:41 AM »
I fly ywo of them in stunt planes. One is a Ringmaster and the other a Brodak Peacemaker.  Both are stock. Both venturi and head.  One uses a chip muffler and the other a manifold, mainly for weight savings.  An APC 9.5x4.5  or 9x4 are a good place to start. Run in a 'wet two'. 

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2023, 11:57:43 AM »
There is a guy with a Ringmaster and a Brodak 25.
If I was needing info on a Brodak 25 I would ask that guy who scored 600 points with that combo at a VSC.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2023, 07:20:51 PM »
There is a guy with a Ringmaster and a Brodak 25.
If I was needing info on a Brodak 25 I would ask that guy who scored 600 points with that combo at a VSC.

That sounds like good advice!  And, that you can use a Brodak 25 on a Ringmaster tends to support my observation, you sure don't want to use a 25FP on one. Even a 20FP makes it a real "bomb".

Brett

Offline John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2023, 06:32:48 AM »
I looked at the VSC results. Joe Gilbert won with a Brodak 25 Ringmaster which weighed only 21 OZ. 

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2023, 07:33:29 AM »
I looked at the VSC results. Joe Gilbert won with a Brodak 25 Ringmaster which weighed only 21 OZ.

When anyone says " that guy with a Ringmaster" , they mean Joe Gilbert.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here