News:

• May 17, 2024, 07:13:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: EVO 36s are in stock  (Read 3255 times)

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
EVO 36s are in stock
« on: July 19, 2008, 05:26:44 PM »
Good Day Guys

I just returned home from the NATs and the EVO 36 engines were sent to me while I was in Muncie, so it will be interesting  to see how they perform for the stunt community

I will be shipping out the ones I have on order Monday morning

Regards
Randy

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
Re: EVO 36s are in stock
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 11:29:34 AM »
I just got mine from my local hobby shop so put the middle sized venture in it and a 11/5 zinger prop on it and ran it on the bench. It ran with athority and a nice steady run with a 2-4 pinch fuel line break and then right back tofour stroke. What I liked best about it was how smooth the engine ran. The crank shaft is really balanced great. Cant wait to put in somthin. #^ #^

Willis Swindell

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 04:52:43 PM »
Jim Welch flew his stock Evo 36 in a Tutor 2 today. The larger venturi is shorter then the smaller venturies and he was losing fuel out the top . there was raw fuel on the wing and only 4 minuet run time with a 4 oz tank. He put the mid size venturi in and turned the RPM up to 10,500 with a 10x6 prop and had enough time to do the pattern and still do a fast four to two break. I think we have a winner with this engine
 Willis  H^^

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 04:03:56 PM »
Would be interested to know what breakin routine you used ( if any), what fuel you are running- (I plan to run Powermaster 22%  oil  -10% nitro) and if you running the "special" EVO plug or another? In my other engines I use either the Thundervolt R/C or Sonitronic Glow Devil.
Lyle
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 04:22:34 PM »
Lyle, powermaster 10 %, 22 oil,zinger 10-6,with the heavy muffler which incidentally is also very quiet.There is some real workmanship in the EVO I.E. a nice fit on the ABC liner ,good bearings,and a very clean assembly.I ran that one once on the tutor 4 ounces and flew it immediately.After 6 flights it ran perfectly and flew this (heavy) repaired Tutor on 64 foot lines perfectly.The motor starts in 2 flips and is more user friendly than a wore out fox...not a finger buster.I'm impressed by it and thats good cause I bought more than one of them...Jim
AMA 89335

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 05:00:48 PM »
Guys, don't be afraid to try bigger props.  we have run ours on 11x4's, 11x5's and 11x6's (PowerPoint) with no concerns.  This thing is a real powerhouse...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 06:11:01 PM »
Dennis
I just picked mine up at LHS on Sunday-then realized I "needed" LOL-- ( my birthday is in one month!!) an airframe - so decided to go for ARC Vector 40.

I'm planning to use proven GloDevil or Thundervolt plug but curious to know more about the "special" EVO plug.

Are yuu using muffler pressure as mentioned in the instruction sheet or conventional uniflo?

Depending on need for nose weight- I will decide between big heavy muffler or the tonge setup.

Lyle

Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 08:08:59 PM »
Hi Lyle:
To date we have only used the Evo Plug.  The "special" Evo plug is simply one of those extended tip plugs - really do not know how it would compare to the others you mentioned.

Originally ran the first Evo on Omega 10% (17% oil, 70% Klotz 30% castor mix) but since have used CoolPower (18% oil, all synthetic) at 5%, 10%, & 15% nitro.  I think the 10% CP runs best.  I see where Jim W successfully used Powermaster 10/22 - honestly, I have never used PowerMaster and know nothing about it.  I swag that  22% Oil is probably more than you need (see Dave Adamisin's posts on oil & Octane ratings in the Engine forum) but if its synthetic 22% is probably OK.  (so you know where I am coming from, I would not run 22% castor in anything)

Have only run muffler pressure with uniflow.  We have one flying with the big muffler and one flying with the tongue - in both cases because of balance issues.

Brother Dave has been flying the Evo in a Vector 40 ARF, the engine barely notices the airplane is there!  8)

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday!  H^^

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 06:22:49 PM »
So this would likely be a good match for the TF Nobler ARF?  I have one (the ARF) still in its box and was thinkin' of an LA 40.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 07:07:53 AM »
Steve:
I flew an LA 40 last year - nice engine but I think the Evo is stronger.  The LA is also surprisingly heavy, the Evo is a small package, has ball bearings and true ABC construction which should translate into good durability.

The only conerns with the Evo is that it will be much more power than you need for the Nobler (not a bad thing!) and it is a long engine with the remote needle which MIGHT make packaging the fuel tank a problem.

Tying a bow around all the comments I made above: if I was putting the Evo in a Nobler I would opt for the smallest venturi, a clunk style tank with uniflow & (toungue) muffler pressure an 11x4 or 11x6 prop and 10% nitro Coolpower.

Of course if you already HAVE a LA 40...!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Larrys4227

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 05:17:03 AM »
Brother Dave has been flying the Evo in a Vector 40 ARF, the engine barely notices the airplane is there!  8)

I've got a new Evo36 I picked up from RS, still in the box. My intent was to use it in the 38Special when I get it built. I also have a Vector40 (SH drawing winner) and have been real undecided what to power it with. I had to read your statement twice ....!! Never thought the 36 would have enough ummph to pull the Vector!!  Any more details you can share? I have 2 Evo's in RC planes and they have been great!

My job is getting in the way .... I've got so many things to do and build. Not only do I have 2 planes waiting to be built, I'm still putzing with my Flite Streaks, a guy at the field is giving me a kit this weekend to build (the intent is to use it to get people flying), and this weekend another guy is bringing out a brand new FS to fly (30 year retread!)... he dug out an old McCoy 35 to put on it. I'm kinda psyched about this .... I wont have to fly by myself anymore!  Yaaayyyy!! By the end of the year, I expect half a dozen people to be joining me in the circle. Theres quite a few members with planes/engines in attics.  They are promising to dig them out ...  #^

FlySafe!  Larry (Larrys4227)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 07:03:02 AM »
Larry:
First the important stuff - I am tickled to death to hear about your local CL activity boom (uhh, maybe that was the wrong word!) Gotta ask - you say you are running 2 Evo 36's in RC - any chance they are on the H9 B-25?

Regarding the Vector with the Evo - got a video of Dave flying the Evo-powered Vector ARF at Brodak's - see below.  He was flying an 11x5 Master Airscrew, the medium venturi, tongue muffler with pressure and 5% Cool Power.  The Vector flies on 63' lines (eyelet to eyelet) and seems happiest flying 5.2 second lap times.  He had switched from 10% to 5% for that meet due to slightly shortened flight duration versus what he was getting at home.  Listen carefully you will hear the engine change notes around half way through the flight.  He later discovered a split in the muffler pressure line..

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 07:54:50 AM »
Dennis - What an outstanding video! Dont recall seeing it before, but DANG! The Evo pulls that Vector around beautifully!  I guess I found the motor for my Vector ...  y1

Sorry if I wasn't clear ... I've got a couple other Evo RC motors, one is a 46 and the other is the 46"A" PTS motor. Both of them are great, and what I was alluding to was if the 36C/L motor is built anything like the 2 46's I have ... I'll be a happy camper. The 46's both start on the first flip, run consistent, and I never have to needle-tweak. The 46"A" PTS probably has 15 gallons of fuel through it ... and it runs just like the day it was new.

Yup, I'm pretty excited about getting some other fliers retreaded back to C/L. I try to promote and talk it up all I can .... and I also do weekly field/circle maintenance. The club mower can't get the grass cut short enough for me (alos leaves clumps of grass all over the place), so I haul my mower down there once a week. Matter of fact, thats what I'm doing this afternoon as long as the monsoons hold off. Starting in August, I plan on writing a "Control-Line News" article for our monthly club newsletter. There are quite a few guys nibbling at the bit .... and I'm gonna get 'em to bite. LOL!

Thanks for the video link ... that was great!

FlySafe! Larry (Larrys4227)

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 10:19:34 AM »
Big Art came down to Muncie yesterday and I got the oppurtunity to fly his Brodak ARF Oriental with the EVO 36 in it.  It had an 11 x 4 prop, medium venturi, and big muffler.  We used 7.5% Cool Power and it flew beautifully.  It was running at a fast 4-2 cycle in level flight.  I would have like to fly it on an 11 x 5 to slow the rpm down to a clean 4 cycle, but the motor was plenty happy and it had great "quiet" power.  The Cardinal is a nice fit for the Evo 36 with the small to medium venturi.  Started on the first flip and needled quite easily.  I really liked the remote needle.  I have outgrown the need for needling an inch behind an 11" prop.  I would really like to try it in a bigger airframe with the large venturi on 10% nitro and see what it has.  It is a perfect fit for most classic airframes out there along with many intermediate 40-46 sized airframes.  I wouldn't hesitate to put it into one of my V-tailed Gemini's (620 sq in & 51 ozs).  It says .36 on the case, but it runs like a good strong .40-.46!!

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana   
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Rod Claus

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 03:44:59 PM »
Hi Guys
We have been bench running the new Evo 36 the last few days.We have used an APC 11x4 as a base for RPM and fuel consumption data.The fuel used is Powermaster 10/22,the stock plug and a thunderbolt 4 stroke plug where tried.It runs well on both.The engine seems to have plenty of power!!I tried a 3 blade Bolley 11.25x4.25 that we use on the 40VF and got about 9100 RPM in high 4 stroke/wet 2 stroke.Impressive.........
The final analysis is:
Around 10,500 RPM in a high 4 stroke and about an ounce of fuel per minute.This is with the smallest venturi.I think this is quite excessive fuel use.
We have found that an LA/FP muffler will fit quite nicely.Therefore these tests were run with the stock big muffler and the Scott Dinger muffler.The motor runs about the same with either.
Any ideas why it uses so much fuel???
Thanks
Rod Claus
Kent,Wash.
Rod Claus
Kent,Wash.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 05:41:54 PM »

Any ideas why it uses so much fuel???
Thanks
Rod Claus
Kent,Wash.

Rod:
You did not mention which venturi you were using.  Of the three the one with the largest bore is also the shortest - some folks have noticed some blow-by using that vent - that is the fuel is not all going down the tube.

If you are using the large venturi then switch to the medium and re-run your test - the fuel usage should improve quite a bit.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 05:48:32 PM »
Larry:
Thanks for the update on your RC Evo's.  The first one I ever saw was the PTS (I think it is a .45) on a Alpha RTF with the 3-blade prop.  What impressed me was how user friendly it was, in that case in the hands of a rank beginner with his first bird.

Later I got a hold of a 61NX and put it in a Great Planes Patriot XL.  WHAT A BRUTE!  It clearly out ran my OS 61FX and made that Patriot fly like a rocket.

Evolution has a 40, 45-PTS, 46 and 52 all in the same basic case.   If I was looking for a bigger engine I'd be looking real hard at the Evolutions!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Rod Claus

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 01:48:09 PM »
Dennis,
I noted in my results that we used the .221 (smallest venturi).
Scott Reise converted some Leo 37's a few years back using a sprinkler type .156 spraybar with a .150 venturi.I'm wondering if we should go down to a .17/.19 size venturi while using the production spraybar/needlevalve arrangement to get the fuel consumption where it should be.
Thanks
Rod Claus
Kent,Wash.

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 06:59:31 PM »
I flew my Evo36 this weekend.  It uses about 5 oz of 10% nitro fuel to fly a pattern. I have the smallest venturi installed, and the runs were kind of soft.  After it gets more running time and I set the needle for a harder run I think that the fuel consumption will go down.  I was using about 4.25 oz of fuel with a evo 36 that I had converted from an rc engine.

I was using the stock remote nva and the plug that came with the engine.

Something nice about high quality abc motors is that you don't have to worry about finding that special fuel.  I have been running Riches brew 10% with all synthetic oil in my Ro-jetts and evo 36 and they run fine on it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 07:37:36 PM by Mike Greb »

Offline Larrys4227

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 05:15:17 AM »
Any new reports on the EVO36? Its been a couple weeks almost since the last report ... by now initial runs must be over and some serious tuning must be going on.

I've got one in the box, but haven't done anything with it yet. Building airplanes for some guys is taking alot of my time ... :-)

Fly Safe!  Larry (Larrys4227)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here