News:

• May 22, 2024, 11:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best plug for ST .46??  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Best plug for ST .46??
« on: September 04, 2006, 01:15:37 PM »
xxx
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:41:55 PM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Best plug for ST .46??
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 01:18:32 PM »
In the last three days I have gone through five glow plugs on two St .46 engines. This is very unusual.  I use the Fireball long RC plugs, never a problem on OS engines especially the OS .40/46/35 FP or LA engines.  Same on Fox L&J engines.  But five plugs in three days seems very high usage, even for me.  10% nitro, 28% oil, all castor as reccomended by Tom Lay.  One engine on a Cardinal, one in my scratch Cobra. Both planes by the way fly beautifully, right until the engine suddenly stops.
Ideas, answers, comments, questions?? ::) ??? :P :!

Don't have a clue as to what is causing your problem, Ty.  What does the plug look like when you pull it?

I have been using the Thunderbolt, either the  4 cycle plug or the R/C long.  No problems with mine blowing plugs. ???????????????

Bill <><

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 01:24:39 PM »
Something's not right, if the compression is too high it will blow plugs but a few other things can also be the cause.. Tell us what the plug looks like when you remove it. Not running your glow driver too hot are you?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 01:32:26 PM »
Hi Bob. No, these are the normal glow drivers most of us use. In fact, one was down.
I think I better contact Tom Lay and ask about the compression ratio on these. Do you guys know if he kicks it up a tad??

having used several of Tom's engines, I can't say that he kicks the compression up enough on a stunt engine to burn out plugs. ?????????

My  T&L ST G51 went two seasons on one plug, and then it was still good.

Never had to change plugs in my 46s either.

Better give ol' Tom a call!  y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 01:39:18 PM »
Is the coil deformed? If so it's likly over compression..

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 02:18:58 PM »
Just a comment, and I don't really know how or why it might cause this effect, but Tom recommends 22% - 24% all-Castor fuel, I think. At least on his ST V.60s.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Eric Viglione

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 02:27:36 PM »
Ty -

28% sounds like a lot of oil, even if Tom relieves the ring groove for running all castor. I've run nothing but 22% 50/50 in all my ST's for the last several years, hundreds of flights, yet to wear one out. I'd not want to contradict the engine tuners instructions, but I also would be tempted to ask him if running Sig Champion is ok.

If your 46 is a newer model, with muffler lugs, it could very well be the version with the high compression head with the huge squish band.

Throw in a .10 head shim and switch to a K&B 1L (long idle bar) plug. I'd bet your problems vanish.

EricV

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 03:59:42 PM »
Tom Lay recommended 22% all caster in the ST 46 he did for me. Never had a problem. It was the one with muffler lugs. I use the K&B long with the idle bar. It just runs and runs etc........... Although if you have bad bearings or a ring gone south, dirty fuel etc.?
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 10:25:56 PM »
Look for signs of scuffed aluminum parts... backplate, rod and piston being the likely source. Aluminum particles will kill the plug real quick. Not likely on a BB engine, but maybe the shaft end-play isn't right. I've had that situation on early ST's before they put the little spacers in behind the front bearings. Might also be worth taking a look at the mufflers, to make sure they aren't clogged up with carbon.  :X  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ted Winterman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 11:33:43 AM »

Ty,
   Went through plugs like mad with my ST .46's & .60's. I quit using Armorall and the problem
went away.
       Ted

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 04:06:04 PM »
Hi Ty,
Strange you are running 28% oil. Did I read that right? Tom told me to use 22% all castor in the ST 46 I got from him ???
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here