News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:57:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anybody set up a HP 40 with the Brian Gardner ABC p&c? Impresssions?  (Read 1088 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
         Hello All:

How were the fits? Was the assembly easy?  Did you run it yet? What were your impressions?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Anybody set up a HP 40 with the Brian Gardner ABC p&c? Impresssions?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 06:16:19 PM »
I haven't assembled mine yet but the rod fit perfectly on the crank pin.The quality is top notch. I should have time to assemble it in the next few days. I'll report back promise. Philly Skip

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 03:51:38 PM »
I carefully assembled my engine. It didn't need any of the finish sanding or reaming that Brian spoke of in his instructions. Everything on my engine fit to perfection as I got it. It had quite a bit of squeaking before TDC which is normal for this set up
On to the test stand: I mixed up some 5% Nitro fuel with Klotz Techniplate all synthetic oil at 18%. I installed a Zinger 10x5 prop and used only one head shim.The needle valve assembly was an Enya.Forgot to check venturi,but it was what I was using before the engine was upgraded. Glow plug was a Merlin hot. The temp outside was about 38F.
Running the engine: Using my electric starter she started right up but was running waaaay too rich so I adjusted the needle to get a fast 4cycle/slow 2 cycle running. She ran for about 2 minutes then I shut her off to cool. I did 5 runs like this slowly turning the needle in to get a wet 2cycle run.
 On the 6th run I checked the rpm with my optical tach. On a wet 2cycle breakin run she was turning the 10x5 10,300 rpm. I ran about another 5 ounces thru her this way.

The 2/4 break test: I can lift my stand up to put the nose vertically to see how she breaks. I set the needle as I would on a stunt ship with the engine bebopping back and forth between. Then I quickly raised the nose and she immediately went into 2cycle mode. When bringing her back to horizontal she immediately went back to 4 cycle mode.

My initial feeling is that this is going to be a great engine for any of my Classic or Pampa ships in the 43 to 50oz range.The HP is a very light ,torquey engine .I'll probably fly it with an 11x5  or 10.5x 4.5 prop

I'll get her in a plane and see how she does.I'll report back soon. Cheers,PhillySkip

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 09:35:14 PM »
Flew the HP in my old trusty ARF Nobler. Very windy conditions. I choose an 11x5 Zinger,The break was soft and the plane felt like it was flying at a constant speed. I thought she might be over propped. Went to a 10.5 x4.5 APC but didn't get to fly as the "china wood" engine bearers both cracked from age and fuel seepage. I'll put the engine in one of my other planes. Skip

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 07:12:57 PM »
I flew the Brian Gardner HP 40 in my Bob Hunt Genesis and it was spectacular. Perfect run from start to finish. Well worth the wait and money spent.

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 09:17:00 PM »
I flew the Brian Gardner HP 40 in my Bob Hunt Genesis and it was spectacular. Perfect run from start to finish. Well worth the wait and money spent.

What prop did you settle on in the end?

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 04:53:33 AM »
The day I flew the Genesis the HP was turning an old Rev UP 10x6 EW. (you know the one with the real wide blade). I'll try others. Much of prop selection ,as you know, has to do with airplane type and weight. This Genesis is very light and very clean aerodynamically. I love the engine,money well spent.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here