News:

• May 03, 2024, 11:39:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Benoil mix, is this a good mix for engines?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Benoil mix, is this a good mix for engines?
« on: June 17, 2017, 08:44:14 AM »
    Hello Again:

I mixed a container of Benoil 3-1 with alky and added 5 percent nitro.  I used this in an old OS .35 S and it appeared to work well.  I did notice that the airplane was very easy to clean after the day ended.  The exhaust residue was very clear and the engine appeared to have been run in a cool condition with proper lubrication. The engine was run in the traditional 4-2-4 fashion with very little to no exhaust smoke.

What is Benoil? The container stated that it was a blend of castor and synthetic.  How much of each is a unknown.  To be safe, perhaps I should add a bit of castor to be safe when using it in older cast iron/steel and plain bearing engines. 

Suggestions/comments.

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Benoil mix, is this a good mix for engines?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 10:01:52 AM »
no smoke is trouble, I would add  5  ounces of castor  to your  23% oil mix, that will get it up  around 27% , your motor will like it better.  but what would be better  is to use a half castor half synthetic  28% oil  fuel  with  5 or 10 % nitro, whatever you  need  at the time

Randy

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 01:33:13 PM »
       Hello All:

No smoke from a two cycle.  I have been running a brand of oil that is made for two cycle engines except marine engines that is all synthetic.  All of my 1970's 2 cycle Lawn Boy mowers do not make any smoke with this new oil.  The 1971 model is designed to use a 16-1 mix and it produced a large amount of smoke with the previous oils that I had been using.

Back in the day, I was taught that the cause of smoke from a 2 cycle engine was caused by the failure of the oil.  It burned as it was in use which was a sign that the oil was not suited for the task.  Perhaps the new synthetic oils burn at a much higher temperature and are left after the combustion process to protect the engine.  Of course this information is about 50 years old. Lol
                                                                                                  Thanks for the replies,

Frank McCune

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »
       Hello All:

No smoke from a two cycle.  I have been running a brand of oil that is made for two cycle engines except marine engines that is all synthetic.  All of my 1970's 2 cycle Lawn Boy mowers do not make any smoke with this new oil.  The 1971 model is designed to use a 16-1 mix and it produced a large amount of smoke with the previous oils that I had been using.

Back in the day, I was taught that the cause of smoke from a 2 cycle engine was caused by the failure of the oil.  It burned as it was in use which was a sign that the oil was not suited for the task.  Perhaps the new synthetic oils burn at a much higher temperature and are left after the combustion process to protect the engine.  Of course this information is about 50 years old. Lol
                                                                                                  Thanks for the replies,

Frank McCune

you were taught  Absolutely Wrong... especially when it comes to model engines running in a 4 cycle, but feel free  to run your mix

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here