Engine basics > Engine set up tips

Another prop question

(1/2) > >>

Scott Jenkins:
Hi Randy,

Old Stunt ship Topflite Tutor Profile with a OS Max 35 same vintage. Model is in the process of being built would like to start with the right prop.

Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

RandySmith:
Hi Scott

Is this an OS 35S  or a  35FP?
The 35s would work well with a 10x5 BYO, Rev up Top Flight or similar prop, Also a Clubman 10.5 x 5 would work well too, or maybe a 10 or 11 inch 5 pitch ApC

If it is a stock 35 FP  I would recomend a thin 12x4 or 11 x 4  prop. I would also stay away from the stock muffler. You can use a prop that you can launch the plane in a 2 stroke that will drop right into a fast 4 stroke within the first lap. This will help greatly with the run away problem

Regards
Randy

Scott Jenkins:
Hi Randy,
I went back and looked at the engine for the Top Flite Tutor it is a OS MAX S35 plain bearing, single bypass engine new in box never run.  So I guess I am wondering if their is a difference between the S35 and the 35S you mentioned.
If not I will try the 10-5 after it is broken in.  The next question is I am not going to use the stock muffler, I think I threw it away sometime ago, the rest of you stop crying. I am a racer by heart and never had much use for a muffler when I bought this engine 30 years ago. I plan to make a tonque type muffler with say 10 0.093" holes in the end. Should the engine be broke in with or without the muffler in place. Break in prop 9x6 ?, fuel 25% castor, 10% nitro, 65% methanol ??

Thanks again,

Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

RandySmith:
HI Scott

That would be the  old  35 S it sounds like, A  very good  motor, It was  discontinued in 1977, but many are still flying.
I would use a 10 to 10 1\2 inch diameter and  5 to 6 pitch  prop with this  engine

You can use a 10 x 4 prop for break in, run it rich during the breakin, doesn't matter if you use the muffler  or not  for  breakin

Regards
Randy

Willis Swindell:
Hi Scott
I thought that you used 8x8 props on everything.
Willis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version