News:

• May 17, 2024, 09:08:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: after crock potting a motor  (Read 3263 times)

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
after crock potting a motor
« on: October 26, 2011, 05:13:45 PM »
I have a bunch of motors I am going to take to a swap meet that I need to get cleaned up and ready to sell. After I crock pot them in antifreeze what do I have to do to them? Is it just a mater of draining out any antifreeze and adding after run oil or do I have to do more? I really do not want to get involved with taking them all apart if I can avoid it.

bob branch

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
Re: after crock potting a motor
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 05:39:33 PM »
Flush out the antifreeze and run them.

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 05:53:55 PM »
Bob

Drain in a collander, season to taste and enjoy !  <= Just kidding.  Flush all the anti freeze out, maybe soak in acetone, with the rear cover removed.  After the acetone bath, oil both rod ends, the piston & sleeve and the bearings. Reinstall the rear cover and you are good to go.
AMA 33676

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 05:58:41 PM »
Eww.  I never crock pot a motor unless anything that can come apart has been taken apart.

But if you're just cleaning them up for sale, I guess that's OK.

(Note to self: clean up all used motors, regardless of what they look like).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 06:03:12 PM »
It has been noted on previous threads that if you leave any plastic (as in venturi's/etc) the hot antifreeze will
either deform or melt them.
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 07:51:08 PM »
What temperature setting do you use with the anti-freeze. Isn't it true that you don't want it to boil?
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 07:57:22 PM »
What temperature setting do you use with the anti-freeze.

I use "ON". ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Jerry Leuty

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
  Most crock pots won't boil anything. Some will. If you are using a large crock pot that momma has given you then set it on medium or low setting for a over night cleaning. Only use the high setting for a couple of hours. Then remove the engine parts. I do not recommend soaking an entire engine unless it is frozen up and you cannot get it apart. The back plate and head will come off anyway. I always take them apart to thoroughly clean everything and then reassemble with Marvel Mystery Oil. 3 in 1 oil, sewing machine oil, will work also. If these are well worn engines then price them respectively. Believe me you will not get enough out of each engine to warrant selling a used engine at a new price and later not being able to sleep because you scammed someone. I have paid too much for some engines on e-bay and at other times I have gotten some real bargains that were in like new condition. So it all equeled out.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 08:31:29 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone. These motors are all in excellent shape and have never been abused and rarely any crashed. I have gone all electric in CL and have only flown 4 or 5 glow flights in rc in the last 2 years. So Since I have 30 some motors sitting ... well, what will be forever, I just think they ought to get used instead. Not particularly worried about what I get for them. Don't think you get much for anything at a swap shop, but whatever I can get will be fine.

One other question. Is the antifreeze corrosive to bearings and motor components? Thanks btw, for the heads up on plastic parts. Some of the carb arms are plastic so I will pull them.

bob branch

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 08:44:41 PM »
The Rival crock pot I have has three temperature settings, Warm, Low and High. If set on the High setting it can boil with the crock pot I have. Sounds like the warm or low setting would be one to use. Some Crock pots have multiple settings....Some have said that you never want the anti-freeze to boil.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 09:08:41 PM »
You need to get antifreeze pretty darn hot to make it boil.  If you do, well, it's toxic.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 09:57:51 PM »
I use "ON". ;D

LOL! CLASSIC! Can I use that in my sig line?  LL~
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Bill Hodges

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 06:16:39 AM »
Just a reminder.  Do not use the crockpot for food after putting anti freeze in it.  Mine is marked "Not for food".

Bill Hodges
Bill Hodges
AMA 12450

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 08:10:37 AM »
Just a reminder.  Do not use the crockpot for food after putting anti freeze in it.  Mine is marked "Not for food".

Bill Hodges

Bill,
FYI - I also write the word "Poison" before "Not for food!" and put the crock pot on the top shelf (need a step ladder to get to it) in the shop.
When using, I place it outside in the covered area and I cover it with a weighted wire mesh as birds and animals (racoons, cats, squirrels etc) are attracted to the odor and will drink same, which is fatal.  

Take care,
Roger V.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 09:44:12 AM »
The appearance of the engines is what you need to consider.   Is it worth it to go to the trouble of cleaning them up?   I sold most all of the Meriwether engines on E-Bay.   Some I had to disassemble and soak to get them presentable.  Some I left as is after oiling and loosening them up.   You will never get what you think they are worth.  Even at swap meets or contests there are a few individuals that will tell you that the price is too high.   Also on the bay it may surprise you what an engine will bring as far as bidding.   

Now crock potting.  Use antifreeze made for aluminum engines or for todays cars.   The crock pot I have came from Wally World and only has on and off switch.  Also sometimes it only takes minutes and other time over night soaking/cooking. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 02:10:47 PM »
These motors are all in excellent shape and have never been abused and rarely any crashed.

Hmmmm. Heck I don't abuse my vehicles, just weck em now and again. But some how it don't do any good in the classified's!  LL~
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 05:11:42 PM »
You need to get antifreeze pretty darn hot to make it boil.  If you do, well, it's toxic.
You may find that it is toxic regardless of its temperature, it's the fumes that boiling make that means its more ingestable.
(But I live near a reactor anyway so on a scale of worry it doesn't even rate if its boiled outside.)
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here