News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:40:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adding after run oil in an engine that is muffler equipped????  (Read 1033 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
         Hi All:

Now that I have begun to use mufflers, how is best to add a bit of after run oil to the engine?  I guess that one could:

Remove plug and inject a bit of oil. PIA

Place a few drops into venturi and flip over.

Avoid using after run oil.

flying friend of mine does NOTHING to his engines after use and his engines run perfectly.  He has been doing this since 1990 in both RC and CL.  His fuel mix has been nothing but 23% castor and 1 ounce of acetone.  Maybe we are overthinking the after run oil thing.

Be well

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Adding after run oil in an engine that is muffler equipped????
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 01:17:55 PM »
       Hi Guys:

Thanks for the tips.  Walter, your idea is interesting as I have been using ATF and Acetone 50/50 for penetrating oil for years.  ATF makes a great after run oil by itself. 

A couple of days ago, I took my OS .40 Stunt powered out to fly and it started the first flip after ben in the attic for several years with nothing but ATF in it for preservation.  This OS stunt is from the 60's and has one ball bearing and a baffle.  It is a great stunt engine!!!!  If you have one, get it out and enjoy it!!!

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 02:01:20 PM »
Air tool oil or ATF in the venturi and a few flips.  For really long term storage, brush some oil on the head bolts, backplate bolts, main shaft.  In a baggie, wrapping in a paper towel is thought by some to absorb moisture in the bag.  Paper towel also blocks UV.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 10:19:19 AM »
After run oiling is helpful only to engines with ball bearings.  And it isn't critical to oil them up right after use. 

A little air tool oil, when you think of it, does the job.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 02:19:35 PM »
I'd agree that ball bearing engines are sensitive to rust in the bearings.  However, rust can happen on the main shaft, on other fasteners and in the cylinder, too.  Maybe I've handled too many old engines from the 1950s, but I like to oil my engines well for storage.  To your point, during the flying season, a drop or two here and there is adequate for most climates.

Some Japanese engine makers do a really great job of packing engines for storage/transport.  Lightly oiled, all over, in a plastic bag, then surrounded by foam cut/molded to a precise shape.  Saito, O.S. and maybe others do this, especially for their expensive multi-cylinder models.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:12:53 PM by Peter in Fairfax, VA »

Online Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 03:04:59 PM »
FOLKS..............

The thing here to remember is that our fuel contains the one ingredient that draws moisture,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Methanol.

Adding even a few drops or so of a good after run oil mix can greatly help prevent bearing/crank corrosion.

I have racing marine engines that have bearings in a few of them that are 3 seasons old and look like the day I replaced them.
(granted, they are about due for replacement tho)

The plain bushing engines will enjoy and few drops of after run for their crank shafts to stay nice and smooth and rust free.

So, yes, drop the oil down the intake or remove the glow plug if needed and drop some down there.

And make sure and turn the motor over a few times or so to spread the oil around inside the engine.

Carl C

Peter;  Doing better, still pooped out much tho.

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here