News:

• March 29, 2024, 09:31:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AAC engine design? Sounds good to me!  (Read 3701 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
AAC engine design? Sounds good to me!
« on: August 02, 2020, 06:12:59 PM »
     An engine that has AAC construction sounds like great design.  What are your thoughts about this idea?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: AAC engine design? Sounds good to me!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 08:22:52 PM »
     An engine that has AAC construction sounds like great design.  What are your thoughts about this idea?

Yes, you might get that to work.

2019  David Fitzgerald Thundergazer  PA75
2018  David Fitzgerald Thundergazer  PA75
2017  David Fitzgerald Thundergazer  PA75
2016  David Fitzgerald Thundergazer  PA75

2015  Paul Walker P-47 Plettenberg
2014 David Fitzgerald Thundergazer  PA75
2013  Paul Walker  ??   Plettenberg
2012  Doug Moon   Bear    PA 65
2011  David Fitzgerald  Thundergazer   PA75 Muncie, IN
2010  Bill Werwage       P-47 Thunderbolt  PA61 Muncie, IN
2009   Dave Fitzgerald   Thunder Gazer   PA 75   Muncie, IN

2008   Orestes Hernandez   Yatsenko Shark   Discovery Retro 60   Muncie, IN
2007   Orestes Hernandez   Yatsenko Shark   Discovery Retro 60   Muncie, IN
2006   Brett Buck   Infinity   RO-Jett 61   Muncie, IN
2005   Paul Walker   For Reals   OS 40 VF   Muncie IN
2004   Dave Fitzgerald   Star Gazer IV   PA 61   Muncie IN
2003   Dave Fitzgerald   Star Gazer IV   PA 61   Muncie IN

2002   Paul Walker   P-51 Miss America   Saito 56   Muncie IN
2001   Dave Fitzgerald   Star Gazer IV   PA 61   Muncie, IN
2000   Ted Fancher   Final Edition   PA 61   Muncie IN
1999   Dave Fitzgerald   Star Gazer III   PA 61   Muncie IN

1998   Paul Walker   Impact   OS 40 VF   Muncie IN
1997   Dave Fitzgerald   Star Gazer I   PA 61   Muncie IN
1996   Bob Baron   Pattern Master   Super Tigre 60   Muncie IN
1995   Ted Fancher   Great Expectation   OS 46 VF   Pasco WA
1994   Paul Walker   Impact   PA 40   Lubbock TX

1993   Paul Walker   Impact   OS 40 VF   Vincennes IN
1992   Paul Walker   Impact   OS 40 VF   Westover AFB MA
1991   Paul Walker   For Reals?   OS 40 VF   Vincennes IN
1990   Paul Walker   Impact   OS 40 VF   Vincennes IN

AAC engines in bold- and these are just the winners, almost all the other competitors used them throughout this period.

Brett

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 08:24:35 PM »
PAs are AAC.  All the F2D motors are AAC. Pretty sure the Rojetts are as well.

Metalurgy is probably the best and it is lighter than ABC.
But chroming aluminum is nowhere near as easy as chroming brass, so not that common in normal production engines.
MAAC 8177

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 05:43:45 AM »
David went straight from the 61 to the 75?  He missed out on the 65?
Steve

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 06:48:02 AM »
     Thanks for the education! I had no idea that AAC construction was so prevalent.  I must get out more. Lol

Be cool,

Frank McCune

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 10:20:02 AM »
just to clear up   F2A speed which runs in the 30-40,000 rpm range have gone back to Brass cylinders  because they hold their shape better than aluminum and not worried about the extra weight.
 for stunt and even racing ,aluminum works great
rad racer

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 10:32:09 AM »
David went straight from the 61 to the 75?  He missed out on the 65?

Yes. For a long time, a .65 was not legal for FAI, so he stuck with the 61 - which didn't seem to hold him back too much. He only changed when the 75 came along.

Brett

Online Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 09:16:51 PM »
The Enya 60X was released in about 1975 and was AAC which was then used later in some of their smaller sizes. Apparently the 60X was the first true AAC but a couple of other earlier engines (YS-60 and Ross 61) had a chromed aluminium liner but with a ringed piston.

Personally I think the Norvel AAO is the best with their ceramic coatings and integral fins so no heat barrier  between the liner and crankcase.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 09:40:54 AM »
   Yes, you might get that to work.

2019  David Fitzgerald Thundergazer  PA75
2018  David Fitzgerald Thundergazer  PA75
2017  David Fitzgerald Thundergazer  PA75
2016  David Fitzgerald Thundergazer  PA75

2015  Paul Walker P-47 Plettenberg
2014 David Fitzgerald Thundergazer  PA75
2013  Paul Walker  ??   Plettenberg
2012  Doug Moon   Bear    PA 65
2011  David Fitzgerald  Thundergazer   PA75 Muncie, IN
2010  Bill Werwage       P-47 Thunderbolt  PA61 Muncie, IN
2009   Dave Fitzgerald   Thunder Gazer   PA 75   Muncie, IN

2008   Orestes Hernandez   Yatsenko Shark   Discovery Retro 60   Muncie, IN
2007   Orestes Hernandez   Yatsenko Shark   Discovery Retro 60   Muncie, IN
2006   Brett Buck   Infinity   RO-Jett 61   Muncie, IN
2005   Paul Walker   For Reals   OS 40 VF   Muncie IN
2004   Dave Fitzgerald   Star Gazer IV   PA 61   Muncie IN
2003   Dave Fitzgerald   Star Gazer IV   PA 61   Muncie IN

2002   Paul Walker   P-51 Miss America   Saito 56   Muncie IN
2001   Dave Fitzgerald   Star Gazer IV   PA 61   Muncie, IN
2000   Ted Fancher   Final Edition   PA 61   Muncie IN
1999   Dave Fitzgerald   Star Gazer III   PA 61   Muncie IN

1998   Paul Walker   Impact   OS 40 VF   Muncie IN
1997   Dave Fitzgerald   Star Gazer I   PA 61   Muncie IN
1996   Bob Baron   Pattern Master   Super Tigre 60   Muncie IN
1995   Ted Fancher   Great Expectation   OS 46 VF   Pasco WA
1994   Paul Walker   Impact   PA 40   Lubbock TX

1993   Paul Walker   Impact   OS 40 VF   Vincennes IN
1992   Paul Walker   Impact   OS 40 VF   Westover AFB MA
1991   Paul Walker   For Reals?   OS 40 VF   Vincennes IN
1990   Paul Walker   Impact   OS 40 VF   Vincennes IN

AAC engines in bold- and these are just the winners, almost all the other competitors used them throughout this period.

Brett

There  was  also a  TON  of  trophies  won with the  AERO Tiger powered  ships , which are  all  AAC, .  As well  as  the  100s of OS -VF conversions, OPS AAC converted engines, and a few others.
 In addition  there are  many  Combat engines  that are  AAC construction.

Randy

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 12:05:31 PM »
There  was  also a  TON  of  trophies  won with the  AERO Tiger powered  ships , which are  all  AAC, .  As well  as  the  100s of OS -VF conversions, OPS AAC converted engines, and a few others.
 In addition  there are  many  Combat engines  that are  AAC construction.

Randy

Of course. AAC and ABC engines have been around *forever* and have dominated the system for 3 decades now. Iron liners, ringed engines, baffle-piston engines, are just about museum displays. 

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 01:35:38 PM »
Steel cylinder, meehanite iron piston.  The design of the future.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 10:57:06 AM »
Propably not a welcome opinion in here, but I haven't seen much domination of (piped) AAC engines in recent world- or European champs and other contests where I've been to. Quite opposite; in the past champs in very hot and difficult weather, like in France and Bulgaria, the piped engines seemed to be suffering more from the conditions.
And I wouldn't say that piston deflectors and -rings belong to museum, just look at Yuriy Yatsenkos decades of work with his engines, in skilled hands they are as competitive as anything else. And some Stalker's ain't bad either, just look at the track record.
About rings, it's interesting that the real engine experts, including those that more or less invented the ABC/AAC -technology, and the abovementioned Yuriy, all seem to understand that ideally the ringed setup is the way to go. Even I have proved, at least to myself, its phenomenal stability through quite extreme weather conditions.
But the post-traumatic stress is quite deep in peoples minds, from the era of crappy metallurgy and castor oil.
The ringed setup has to be made so well and carefully that it wouldn'd be profitable to make them.
With an AAC/ABC stunt engine we are talking about a very fragile harmony (maybe slightly less so with pipe), and with a ring it becomes clearly more stable and predictable.
Ring is not a time-bomb, it does not have a short life span, but it has to be made very very well. L

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 11:24:59 AM »
Steel cylinder, meehanite iron piston.  The design of the future.

Still truly beautiful

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 06:47:03 PM »
Many  AAC and  ABC setups are  DEAD reliable, in all conditions, Especially the  PA  and the  massive amount of other  AAC and  ABC  Ringless  engines I , and others have made, Just look at the  record, people that tell you they are not,  are flat wrong !  There are  also many stock fragile  OS VFs  that have  lasted  2 to 4 times longer  than most ALL  ringed engines, and ran reliably, as well as  other  brands of ABC and  AAC
The  AAC and  ABC  last  a very long time, unless treated bad.  The  VAST majority and I mean in the  99%  range  of  Ringed  engines  do NOT last  anywhere  near as long as a  good  AAC  setup. That is a  fact !,  matter  of fact  they  average  about  25 to 30 percent of the life of an good  AAC.  I have flown  these setups  all over the  usa and  Canada, in high altitude, extreme heat, Texas  Washington, Florida  South Georgia, Louisiana in july etc,  It has  alway been flip n fly.
This can be  confirmed  by pilots  all over the  USA and  the  World!,  I have  Aero Tigers past 2000 flights that are still going strong  with never having been  opened back up   Dave  Fitzgerald handed me a 61 PA  after 1  of the many  NATs  that he used it in, and said  had more than 2400 flights,  Dave  logs  every flight in a book.  Same  with Bill Werwage, and many many other pilots.  So people that tell you different do not  know  what they are  talking about.
Super Tiger 60s   ST  46s  ST G51 , HP40s, OS FSRs  and many clones, OS 40H, OS SF and a host of others ,most  all ringed  are good for  about  500 flights  before you need to rebuild them.
I have many customers  that  went off these engines  and went to  AAC lapped ones, with  very good results in all  areas
Check with pilots  about things like this,  and if you are  a pilot that has  to buy equipment, and  do not  have the  machines   chroming vats, mics, hones  or knowledge , and  friends  who can  help you, make a  good  AAC ringed  setup, you will  be  in the  same  boat  going to any  commercially available  ringed  stunt  engine !   They will  NOT  be as stable, last as long, or  produce consistent reliable  power .

Randy
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 12:38:16 AM by RandySmith »

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 08:03:36 PM »
Propably not a welcome opinion in here, but I haven't seen much domination of (piped) AAC engines in recent world- or European champs and other contests where I've been to. Quite opposite; in the past champs in very hot and difficult weather, like in France and Bulgaria, the piped engines seemed to be suffering more from the conditions.
And I wouldn't say that piston deflectors and -rings belong to museum, just look at Yuriy Yatsenkos decades of work with his engines, in skilled hands they are as competitive as anything else. And some Stalker's ain't bad either, just look at the track record.

Your opinion is always welcome, but Lauri, you are doing something *completely different* than any consumer engine ever managed, or that can practically be achieved by the average pilot. I am sure that if I had a full precision machine shop and enough time to work it out, I am sure I could come up with a reasonably reliable ringed engine. You were previously talking about fits to 10s of microns, which is FAR FAR beyond anything that a mass-market or even semi-custom manufacturer could manage.

Even a Fox, produced in the crudest way possible on manual or mostly-manual machines, by the million, is far more reliable and predictable than even the best consumer ringed enginesm for at least stunt engines. It's not the greatest engine in the world but one thing it never, ever did, in thousands of flights I flew with it, was just change characteristics for no reason. That happened 3 times on a good weekend with an ST46. Made with precision machines to a high standard, OS cranks them out by the million - they are all the same from unit to unit, to the point they pre-set the needle for a breakin - and it actually works!

Randy is 100% correct, AAC/ABC is *the right way to go* for any sort of semi-production or production system, it's darn near bulletproof, to the point that barring some debris running through it, they essentially never fail. I wore out exactly *1* engine the entire time I have been doing this, excluding bearings failing and taking out the cylinder/piston - the supposedly "fragile" 40VF, that wore out well north of 2000 flights. Even then, it still never really went over the hill and never did anything too unexpected, just very slowly lost power. The one I wore out, on its last flight, scored a 595 in qualifying at the NATS and was #1 on the circle, even though I had to set it sagging lean on the ground just to get the lap time.

Brett

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 07:52:06 AM »
About rings, it's interesting that the real engine experts, including those that more or less invented the ABC/AAC -technology, and the abovementioned Yuriy, all seem to understand that ideally the ringed setup is the way to go. Even I have proved, at least to myself, its phenomenal stability through quite extreme weather conditions.
But the post-traumatic stress is quite deep in peoples minds, from the era of crappy metallurgy and castor oil.
The ringed setup has to be made so well and carefully that it wouldn'd be profitable to make them.
With an AAC/ABC stunt engine we are talking about a very fragile harmony (maybe slightly less so with pipe), and with a ring it becomes clearly more stable and predictable.
Ring is not a time-bomb, it does not have a short life span, but it has to be made very very well. L

You must never have been introduced to a PA-65...
Steve

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 09:45:24 AM »

You must never have been introduced to a PA-65...

Oh I have been, even used one (51 if I remember right) briefly. They're nice but not what I'm looking for. L

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 11:06:19 AM »
ite opposite. We could as well make it AAC.
The problem we see with ringless is the eternal uncertainty of piston clearance in different temperatures. It's not really about sealing, but about stabilizing the thermal flow.

Which appears to have absolutely *no* practical effect, given the remarkable run stability of even mass-production engines cranked out by the hundreds of thousands. My (and most other people's) experience with production or even aftermarket ringed engines was that no two rings ever produced the same results, and that it appeared to skate, hydroplane, go out of round, stick in the groove, loosen up in the groove, spin around, etc, *all of which appeared to have drastic effects on the way it runs*, like a random-number generator.

Fine for 3 weeks straight, you would think "hey, I finally got it working", then the next flight, no power, or half a flight dead lean or dead rich, or it starts misfiring, quitting outright. And then you are back to square one, get out the brake cylinder hone or dig into your shoebox full of spare parts, or start screwing around with propellors to get it to break a little more, or a little sooner, put on a different head, or something like that, in an endless spiral.

I have no doubt that if you had a machine shop and could control every aspect of it, some of that might be solved, but you are talking about solving theoretical problems that seem to have nearly no effect in practice.

When it comes down to something like that VS entirely custom machine shop specials that only a few people in the world could possibly produce with tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, it's not a hard decision.

Brett

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 11:43:38 AM »
..and not to mention the countless hours of running-in?
That was then, I haven't encountered any of the stability issues you mentioned. Running-in takes about 20 minutes, during which about 99,5% of wear happens of its whole lifespan. Thousands of flights, no measurable wear or nasty surprises.
You must understand that Super Tigre was not a good example of a quality product.
I have never said that this is a good business opportunity, but I have nice machines that I can use for making many things, maybe even something lucrative. This us just a side product. And a bloody interesting one. L

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 04:39:36 PM »
As I stated  earlier, IF you are  buying  stunt engines, Then lapped  AAC is the way to go, Lauri is an excellent machinist and has  a huge  base of help, if he needs it, But you cannot  compare  his engine to  ones that you can buy, and  Lauri  is not going to sell you one, If a manufacture made  what lauri is  trying to  compare engines  to, they would want maybe 1000  a piece for them,  It is a moot point anyway, It is  not going to happen,  '
The commercial available  ABC AAC  AAN ABN are  excellent,  I ran  1  PA in a Vectra  for  9 years, 9 Nationals  many team Trials  and  flew the  plane  all over  the  USA, massive  range of condition, perfectly stable, Never a problem, and flew in contest many times with winds that  were  over  20 to 30 MPH. 3 of these  were at Nationals.
If you have a ring in  your engine, and is commercial built, it IS an inferior  product. 
The best way  to make a  ringed engine  is  to make it a  double ring, with thinner rings, they conform to the  distortion of a hot running engine better than a single  thick ring, pin  each ring 180 degrees  from each other, and  as  Lauri  has  done  make  sure  you use an aluminum piston and  aluminum  sleeve, Make sure you make it with  a slight  taper in the sleeve The  AAC  ring is  the most stable  you can make, The thermal expansion is the closest,  Most of the  problems  with  rings in St  OS  K&B  FOX  etc,  were  from steel sleeves,  The  expansion  rates  were much more different, even  2 identical  ST 60 , 1 with  steel sleeve  1 with  chromed  steel sleeve, the  steel sleeve can run a tighter  gap to start than the  chromed one, even  with extreme  care  taken on ringed engines, i have  NEVER  seen  one  go much past  500 flight  without  wear, degrading the performance, and  I have  rebuild  thousands  of these type  stunt engines.   NEVER  have I seen  a  ringed  engine  go  over  2000 flights  with  NO wear on the  ring.
Lauri's  engine is  NOT  , in any  way, a typical  stunt engine. It is  a  extreme example  of  1 off  custom built  high tolerance  engines.  So  if you are  not  able to do what he  does, and  are  looking  for  available  engines, there  is  ZERO  reasons  to  compare the  ones  against his, the  argument  is  pointless.
I have  many  custom made  engines  here, that have  100s  of hours into them making  parts and  assemblies  testing running,  I have  8 ounce  64s,  7 ounce 40s, light  extremely stable  55s,  BUT  these  are  NOT  ones  I could  sell  to people  as  a line of stunt engines  at  any reasonable  price.
To close  I will  mention that there  are  STILL  people  flying  engines  from the  1980s  and 90s  that are  AAC and  ABC   with great results, and they are  still  powerful stable  and working perfectly, These  include   OS  VF   FSR  ,  Clones, OPS rear Ex AAC,  HP 40s, Royal 45s, PA 40s and 51s,   OS 35 S  engines, Thunder Tiger built Magnum AAC  engines

Randy

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2020, 01:35:36 AM »
Thank you, Randy.
Actually, I prefer a Dykes ring. L

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2020, 03:24:05 PM »
Thank you, Randy.
Actually, I prefer a Dykes ring. L

Yes   so  did  STan Powell, and  a  couple of  other of my friends.   I prefer  to have  the  added  compression  of the setup I described

Regards
Randy

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 06:09:51 PM »
 >:D >:D >:DAnd then there was electric >:D >:D >:D ;D ;D ;D
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2020, 04:15:59 PM »

It seems Top Fliers missed to look at some AAC engines available in the 80s and 90s, like the Enya 45X AAC the Enya 45CXL AAC with rear exhaust. At least I never heard of any one using one of these AAC engines back then.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2020, 05:05:15 PM »
It seems Top Fliers missed to look at some AAC engines available in the 80s and 90s, like the Enya 45X AAC the Enya 45CXL AAC with rear exhaust. At least I never heard of any one using one of these AAC engines back then.

Nobody missed out on them - a few people in the 80's tried them, they were not nearly as good as the more established 40/46VF or ABC.  I think the side-exhaust version was one of the "schneurle war" engines.

Brett

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2020, 06:20:12 PM »
Who tried any of these 2 Enya AAC engines to claim they were not nearly as good as OS 40/46VF, which you know were not ABC but ABN.

Brain Eather told he thought the Enya CXL was much better then OS VF. Paul Walker told me he didnīt know about these engines back then.

This is an Enya 45CXL P/L, look how thick it is. Does it look like not nearly as good as an OS ABN? I think it is quite the contrary.  I measured 145o total exhaust time.

Martin

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2020, 06:33:56 PM »

Thi is the Enya 45CXL AAC 

Weighs 11.2oz

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2021, 06:17:58 PM »
Having read all of this it's strange to think that a production line and readily available ringed engine like a Saito would ever be successful.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2021, 08:19:17 AM »
Having read all of this it's strange to think that a production line and readily available ringed engine like a Saito would ever be successful.

Lots of stuff can be made to work and there have been plenty of other ringed engines far more successful than the Saito many decades before.

Brett

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2021, 09:27:54 AM »
Lots of stuff can be made to work and there have been plenty of other ringed engines far more successful than the Saito many decades before.

Brett

I think the ST.G-.51 is a good example of that. I have had a lot of good service from the examples I have been using and I call it my "main weapon." The engine is very reliable, is of a decent weight but robust construction, very reasonably priced, and lends itself to simple but effective modifications if desired. I have had great service out of them both stock and "reworked" but that doesn't mean that they were extensively modified or retimed. I have a few Tom Lay handled engines, and like the rest of the work he did, he just made sure the cylinders were round, had a good fitting hardened ring for longevity, optimized other fits, and if I remember correctly, replaced the roll pin that located the piston ring with a solid pin . Of the three or four ST.51's that I have had in operation, I have yet to have had the need to replace the ring in any of them. I may not have won the NATS using these, but I may never win the NATS using any other power plant either!  With the way I have had to pursue the hobby kind of hit and miss and on short notice during my working career, I found them very satisfactory to use and operate and I did pretty well with them on a local and regional level in Expert competition. A ringed engine is just another good option for a power plant. I will say this,( and I think Brett has tried to be gentle in his appraisal of things,)  there are some people that can screw up a two car funeral!! You can hand them a great operating system and that has been proven and test flown, and they will still find a way to mess things up!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2021, 02:50:16 PM »
Hello We were told to get an ABC Fora Junior Diesel for a slow Goodyear model as the AAC version cools down too much due to the uncowled profile set up and ABC holds the heat in for better restarts. Could this would not apply to profile models with AAC engines if hotter running glow types.

Regards Gerald

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2021, 08:55:02 PM »
Parra engines make a 2.5cc engine in both glow and diesel and in three piston/ liner types.
Steel/steel/ chrome, aluminium/chrome/aluminium and aluminium/ chrome/ brass and warn that the steel option should not be used with a large prop load because the wrist pin eggs out.
Probably due to piston inertia at both dead centres resisting crank rotation.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here