News:

• May 07, 2024, 03:27:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone familier with this engine  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Richard Logston

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Anyone familier with this engine
« on: March 02, 2016, 04:55:36 PM »
This is a Class C .35 size engine ( Buzz). I was given this engine many years ago. For something to do I though I'd like to run it. The plug you see is an old glow plug. I remember seeing these engines advertised in model mag's years ago. Price was cheap so engines were probably not the best quality. As I remember they ran from 19 all the way up to 60 size. My engine is missing the drive washer. Picture shows a slot in the crank shaft to secure the drive washer from spinning on shaft. Whoever had the engine before me added three brass washers in place of original drive washer. It feels like it has fair compression. It has a couple broken pc's on top of cyl. Anyone ever run one? Richard

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Anyone familier with this engine
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 05:00:27 PM »
I think that's one of the slag engines.  If it is, it has a steel piston running in the aluminum crank case, and it won't last long once you get it running.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 05:16:32 PM »
Indeed, a slag engine.

Rumor was, you could break them in and wear them out in the same flight.  LL~   LL~

As I recall, there were other slags: Rogers, Genie, Thor, RAM, maybe more.

Want to see some more pictures of them?

Bob Z.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »
Indeed, a slag engine.

Rumor was, you could break them in and wear them out in the same flight.  LL~   LL~

As I recall, there were other slags: Rogers, Genie, Thor, RAM, maybe more.

GHQ

Brett

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 09:44:58 PM »
GHQ was not a slag engine.

Cast iron cylinder, steel piston.

Bob Z.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 03:43:59 PM »
GHQ was not a slag engine.

Cast iron cylinder, steel piston.

Bob Z.

No, but it was a POS!  FWIW, I was at the Sierra Eagles field sometime in the 1980's for a "Sierra Cup". Downwind, some local guy was flying an R/C Taibi "Powerhouse". It went straight up in an obscene display of horsepower. I asked one of the local guys about it. He said it was powered by a GHQ...one that had spent months, with mega-bucks spent, on Bill Wisnewski's best efforts. That guy was a genius.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: .
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 04:26:20 PM »
No, but it was a POS!  FWIW, I was at the Sierra Eagles field sometime in the 1980's for a "Sierra Cup". Downwind, some local guy was flying an R/C Taibi "Powerhouse". It went straight up in an obscene display of horsepower. I asked one of the local guys about it. He said it was powered by a GHQ...one that had spent months, with mega-bucks spent, on Bill Wisnewski's best efforts. That guy was a genius.  y1 Steve

The story that I heard was that the original design was good, but the designer sold it to American Hobby Center, who built it cheaply.  So after it's blueprinted, it's a fairly good engine.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 05:48:55 PM »
Tim, did you ever run that antique from Ebay?
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 06:04:32 PM »
Yep slag engine but maybe one of the better ones because they "give a guarantee of at least 5 years."

And this -
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1789559
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Richard Logston

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 10:55:44 AM »
I forgot that I had posted the Buzz 35 on RCU back in 2009. Briggs/ Stratten made cheap lawnmower type engines with the aluminum cyl. Would start to smoke after a few hrs running. They later used a steel liner, a big improvement.Richard

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 11:14:30 AM »
The GHQ is a poorly-built copy of the earlier Loutrel engine.  Some of the GHQ engines actually ran!  I had one which would run.  It turned a 12-6 wood prop at about 5K RPM.  Heavy as they could make it!

People have rebuilt these engines with a custom piston and a con rod which would last. 

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here