News:

• May 09, 2024, 08:08:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .90 Engines  (Read 5424 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
.90 Engines
« on: April 06, 2007, 09:35:59 AM »
Just read Windy's artical .90 size engines, I suppose horse power is a good thing,  but .90? Man that's a big motor...Any comments?

Offline proparc

• Admiral
Re: .90 Engines
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 09:57:20 AM »
Yes I have a comment. Man, a 90, thats a big motor. LL~
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 10:09:05 AM »
I've watched Windy work with the ROJett .90.....very, very impressive....not only for big and heavy aeroplanes (most hold that there is no fixing a porker), but on many ".60 size" ships as well....effortless power....

Steve Kientz

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 10:41:27 AM »
Whats next DA 150's ?

Dwayne

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 11:05:19 AM »
Who knows Steve
There was a time when .35 engines were the norm. Then along came the .46 size motors, many many 1970's designs...and then the ST .60 came along, then pipes and 4 strokes..and so on and so on, so now .90
Man Big Motor!!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 12:01:12 PM »
15 cc = .915 cubic inches. 

I was curious about a twin LA 46, so I looked up the tech sheet on Tower Hobbies' web site.  A "stingy 46" might make it.

With a bore & stroke of .91 x .73, it works out to .4748 (a really generous 46).  So dubs would be .95, too bad !

While I was at it, I ran the numbers on the LA 40.   You do the math and report back.
Paul Smith

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 02:42:04 PM »
My comment: Man, dats a big motor
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 09:25:44 PM »
To coin the old expression, "You can put a candle in a cow pie, but that don't make it a birthday cake."

Translated: if you have an airplane that NEEDS a 90 to fly CLPA on a 70ft hemispere, you'd be better off BURNING the airplane!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 10:12:48 PM »
Is this the same "really famous" Dennis Adamisin of Hawker Typhoon fame that won Advanced when I was a small child-huh is it? Really? H^^
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 12:22:32 AM »
>>Translated: if you have an airplane that NEEDS a 90 to fly CLPA on a 70ft hemispere, you'd be better off BURNING the airplane!<<

I suppose that's why I still use a 40. I agree.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Rick Campbell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 06:23:43 AM »
Uuuuuuuuuuhhhhh . . . . he's compensating for something????     ;)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 07:02:43 AM »
Is this the same "really famous" Dennis Adamisin of Hawker Typhoon fame that won Advanced when I was a small child-huh is it? Really? H^^

Something like that: it was Junior age group, in 1969, no PAMPA back then, and yes I was ALSO a small (make that young) child then (OMG has it been 38 YEARS ago!), but otherwise GUILTY as charged!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 07:19:53 AM »
Here goes;

Simple question-----Will someone tell me at what point we no longer need the airplane.  There was a thread about
Speed Stunt" awhile back, this sounds like it.

"Billy G"   y1
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 07:36:01 AM »
Something like that: it was Junior age group, in 1969, no PAMPA back then, and yes I was ALSO a small (make that young) child then (OMG has it been 38 YEARS ago!), but otherwise GUILTY as charged!

Dennis, at least you're younger than me! ;D 

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 07:55:58 AM »
I am of the belief that the rules in the USA must reflect those of the FAI...otherwise those that chose to compete at the World level from the US are at a disadvantage.....

The FAI seems to be a French deal, and seems to go along in an orbit all its own....they say that .90's are okay....

I kinda like my PA .65, and plan to use them for a while....but that is MY preference.....

No one says that a competitor HAS to fly a .90......

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 08:13:49 AM »

It is the same (modest) Dennis Adamisin that was the National Stunt Champion (Walker Cup) in 1972.  Dennis is the last person to win the Walker Cup as a Senior.

Keith Trostle

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 08:46:16 AM »
Dennis!!!!!!!

Great to see you here. I hope that you will become active again in stunt.
AMA 7544

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
Translated: if you have an airplane that NEEDS a 90 to fly CLPA on a 70ft hemispere, you'd be better off BURNING the airplane!

Welcome aboard, Dennis.  Hope to see you May 19th, the usual place.

The people who jacked the engine up to . 915 cubic inches can just as easily jack the lines up to 91.5 feet.   
It's 'aw bot the money, don't ch see?
Paul Smith

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 05:07:23 PM »
Keith, you are too kind - me MODEST???  You must not remember me real well!!!  I know that I have reached the age where the older I get the better I WAS!!!  BTW I absolultely love the Gulfhawk!  Strange, a couple weeks ago I was thinking about a long-time ago helping some guy with an Martin MB5 Scale model...

Tom - Thanks for the kind welcome too.  As for making a "comeback" that could be trouble.  I just found my old white pants and the only place they fit now is as a HEADBAND!

OK, back to the topic.  Why settle for a 90?  OS advertises that their 120AX is about the same size as a 90.  Saito builds a 180 4-stroke in a slightly taller 120 size case.  I have an (RC) os FT-160 twin, same size as a FT-120.  It would fit PERFECT in a Formula 1 inspired stunter with the nice cheek cowls - like a Keith Trostle Eagle.

Only a wimp would settle for a puny old 90!!!

Getting back to reality, I am thinking about some Nostalgia projects for a Fox 35, and some BIG projects for an LA40...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 05:25:35 AM »
Hi All 

My question on this post seems to have gotten lost when "Dennis" came aboard.  Let me also take the time to welcome you to the "Forum" Dennis.  It is understandable that this happened when a person such as yourself arrives.

Now, there seems to be a trend toward larger engines without enlarging the airplane. This translates to me that "If you build an airplane and it comes out heavy, just add a bigger powerplant to compensate. Is this correct? If it is indeed correct at what point is an efficient airframe no longer needed? Just overpower it and drag it around.I am asking this because I don't believe that this is needed if you build correctly watching the weight.

"Billy G"
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 05:42:58 AM »
Bill....mayhaps I missed something in reading Winfred's piece, but I think that the point that he was trying to make is that a bigger engine/more power is more easily "dialed in" to suit the flyer's needs....

His example is a great one: when he entered the 4-stroke Seafire at the Nationals, it was powered by a (heavy!) Saito .90....the AMA rules at the time allowed a 50% displacement advantage.......Windy built an I beamer that had throttle control as well..... a lot of stuff into the airframe...and still the dry weight was 60 ounces.....

People have truied for years to pull a porky design around with bigger engines, and although notably heavy planes have done well, it probably says more for the pilot's ability that for the airframe's ability to perform with added power.

A Giesekie (sp?) Nobler flew well with Fox .35 power....the same airplane flew better with a Tiger .46, and even better with a modern powerplant like an AT .36 or RO Jett .40.....more predictable power.

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 05:58:28 AM »
Rich;

Thank-you for the reply and the insight. I have yet to see the article on the .90 and wish to read it fairly.

I am not covinced yet that every thing said here is true , but because I have not read the article yet I will back off here for the moment. Rest assured I will be back to either agree or disagree with this trend. I make no decision now because I do not have enough info. That is the reason for my question in the first place. I needed a place to start my research.  Again thank-you Rich.

As General Douglas McArthur said "I shall return."

"Billy G"  H^^
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007, 06:44:45 AM »
Even though the FAI, and  subsequently the AMA, have allowed the engine displacement to grow to .90 (or is it .91??) that does not mena that anyone MUST use that big an engine.  There have been many who are saying that the airframes will grow to big to look good in our "hemisphere" we fly in if there is a wholesale run for the "biggest engine".

I can see where a larger amount of "USABLE" power can be of benefit even in a lightly loaded plane.  If the larger displacement doesn't add too much weigth to the airframe, then it can be a benefit.

Contrary to Mr. Paul Smith's assumptions that ever thing pertains to "MONEY", it could simply be a matter as simple as doing away with the "formulas" for 4 strokes vs. 2 strokes.  .91 4 strokes were already legal when the "overall" change took place!

In the end, it hasn't appreciably changed the event at all, so far.  And I do not see a trend towards creating giant aircraft to use for CLPA.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 06:27:39 PM »
Bill G:
I guess that is what I was trying to say - the "candle in a cowpie" analogy was a (feeble) way of saying that more power just ain't the answer.

Let me put it another way that makes it perfectly clear how neanderthal I am:  I believe you can go on EBAY, pick up a green box Nobler kit for around $75, then pick up a Fox 35 for around $25.  Build the bird straight at 40-42 oz and it will STILL be competitive at any contest in the world!

Certainly both that airplane and that engine have been surpassed many times over, but what has not changed is the pattern (since...1957 or so?) and the 70 ft hemisphere in which it is performed.

That 42 oz Nobler flying a given speed has a certain amount of lift , drag and requires a finite amount of horsepower to fly that way.  Now the part that always starts a fight:  it does not matter whether you are using a Fox 35 or a ST46 or a OS 90FX, the power required to fly that bird at that given speed is EXACTLY the same regardless of the engine used.  Point the nose up, and weight enters the equation, but unless you want to go FASTER in the manuvers than you were before, the three engines must be performing the same.  So what happens to the "excess" power of the 91?  it gets thrown over the side - either through prop selection or just plain under-usage (i.e you got 5 HP but only use .25 HP) 

About the only way to USE that power on that mythical Nobler is to go faster.  HP required increases as the 3rd power of speed - but even then going much faster than maybe 5 sec lap times really looks silly (but some folks have made it work).  OK so lets go faster but keep the same lap times - that is go from 60 ft to 70 ft lines.  Not a bad trade-off, but the limit is 70 ft - cannot go any farther.

The only way you can use that excess power is to fit it to an airplane that is probably bigger,  really draggy, and likely heavier, or some combination of similar factors.  My personal opinion is that this is a big reason why Al Rabes spectacualr scale stunters are successful - that he his flying at a higher power level, but the birds are capable of holding the engines back to reasonable speeds.  The drag of the airframe can become a  best friend when you are worried about "wind-up" in the wind and such, and note that Al always seemed up to the task when the winds picked up.

Summing it up, I am PROFOUNDLY ignorant of how it is even POSSIBLE to fly a piped schnuerle 76 IN THAT SAME 70 ft hemisphere, and even more flabbergasted when that person says "I need more power!"

Thus back to my earlier post: if I was in that situation with a given airplane I would BURN it in self defense...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 06:44:48 PM »
Dennis;

Thank-you for an answer that I agree with 100%. Now when this Dang Magazine decides to arrive I will be able to read it with at least some understanding. Rest assured I will be back with more questions when I am armed with more info. It is kind of hard to ask a resonable question when you lack at least a basic knowledge of what you are talking about.  See you soon.

"Billy G"   H^^
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 04:04:42 PM by Bill Gruby »
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2007, 07:56:09 PM »
Dennis/Bill:

I believe that both Bill Werwage and Bob Hunt would explain that the advent of better powerplants (both referring, I believe, to the wonderful AeroTiger .36) is the main advancement in the last several decades ....far more performance than the Fox.
I'm having trouble saying what I believe Winfred means: that the bigger motors give the flyer far better opportunities to achieve the OPTMUM performance......NOT MRE POWER, but, as I said, more usable power (or at least more easily achieved).....

I do think that a lot of the planes flown at the Nats today appear too big, abut those that fly them claim that they are easier to fly/trim/see, etc....

The Strega that Winfred built/flew and that Brodak kitted as well as created ARC/ARF models is just a bit smaller that some of the other designs out there and is, in my feeble opinion, about the ideal size, both from the flying and judging standpoint....

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2007, 08:25:48 PM »
Rich;

I can't go to deep here, again because of lack of knowledge. I wiil see if I understand what you are saying by using this analogy. If I buy a stereo with a lot of wattage (power) I don't buy it to see how loud I can play it I buy it to hear the low end clearer. Now that means that you have the power of that engine but you don't necessarilly use it all. In the case of the stereo the power is needed in the case of the engine it is not so why use it. I hope this makes some kind of sense. I really need to see the article to make any more sense out of this.

"Billy G"   H^^
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2007, 09:33:03 PM »
I dunno, if I had a choice between a little too much power or a little to little power for a given bird that would be a pretty easy choice.  Way back when, I went from a Fox 35 to a McCoy 40 to a Max 35.  I believed the McCoy or the Max were stronger and easier to run than the Fox - but frankly those three were ALL good but pretty wimpy compared to modern.

I recall a story about Bill Werwage when some years after his NATs and worlds success with the USA 1, he took the bird out of mothballs and "upgraded" it with (I think) a 51 in place of the old ST 46.  The way I understand it the old bird did not take kindly to the new power, bigger props, etc. It flew worse.  Does this mean that if he had built the airplane NEW with the 51 that he would have went looking for a 60?  WOuld he have concluded it was a dog and shelved it?

I like Bill G's stereo analogy.  Maybe the car one works too - which optional engine do you need to cruise the Interstates at 70 MPH/  Answer is any of them.  If you have a max power engine do you drive it that way?  In Traffic?  With a stunt plane we cannot even call up that power reserve on purpose - like you can with a car.

Last year I test flew a new RC sport model, a light weight with a big wing and a strong running OS Surpass 70 4-stroke.  The engine is GREAT and provides lots of thrust.  The bird flies on the prop, not too fast with strong climb, and the prop acts like an air brake in a dive - sounds like a good CLPA ship doesn't it?  In level flight its speed gets added or subtracted from the prevailing wind speed - no surprise there either.  But wait, the speed (not air speed) is at the mercy of the wind?  Is it getting blown around?  "If only it had a bigger engine in it..."  The obvious reality is that I will likely mess around with props and plan on using the throttle stick a little more.

Maybe its just that I have a hard time with "MORE POWER" always being the answer.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2007, 09:42:39 PM »
There are only 2 ways to get more power in a internal combustion engine.

1. RPM
2. Bigger Bang

We all know that rpm is not necessarily the best for stunt
So a bigger bang is the logical choice. You can get a bigger bang by forced induction (super charging or turbo charging) or using a bigger combustion volume (Bore and stroke)

A bigger engine produces more power at a given rpm than a smaller engine. A smaler engine can produce as much power but it has to spin faster. Again as RPM is not desireable for stunt the larger engine seems the logical choice.

In our application though you have to apply a law of diminishing returns. If we were able to get model engines that could spin a 13 or 14 inch prop steadily at 8000 or lower rpm and still put out sufficient power then we would be set. But even a 91 engine is manufactured to produce it's peak power at over 10,000. when you start reducing the running RPM you fall out of the comfort range of the engine. It becomes ineficient and many times starts behaving inconsistantly.

Say you have an engine that produces 1.2 hp at 12,500 rpm as designed. Run that engine rich and drop the rpm the engine may only put out .60 hp and will not be particlarly happy running at that speed. A bigger engine will produce more power at a lower rpm but if it is not running at it's design rpm then it still will not perform consistantly. This is the reason your car has a multi spped transmission. So the engine rpm can remain within it's operating rpm to be able to pull the load of the car. This operating range is called the power band of the engine. Full scale aircraft have variable pitch props. Plus in full scale aircraft the throttle is rarely touched once airborn and cruising speed is attained.

People can experiment with larger and larger engines but IMHO the returns will end up not worth the effort and expense, there still will compromises to be made, in addition the the larger tank, extra fuel and added weight of the power plant. So to have an engine running at the ideal RPM for stunt and able to swing a large prop at the engines comfortable operating RPM you are going to need a big engine to do it as RPM generrated power is a no go. I figure that engine will have to be bigger than a .91. So far tuned pipes are the best answer for getting power out of a smaller engine at the proper RPM. Even there the engine is really operating out of it's design range but the pipe makes up alot to offset this.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2007, 09:49:20 PM »
IMHO, the point of bigger motors is so that rookies and less than expert engine tuners (read mere mortals) can actually get a decent run without the constant tuning and tweaking. IOW if the motor is just loafing you dont have to be exactly spot on perfect with the tune, or needle setting and will still get a usable run. at least thats what I got from it
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2007, 10:10:22 PM »
Having discussed the present use of tuned pipes in CLPA with Randy Smith (he knows a little bit about it **) ), Billy Werwage, and Bob Hunt, the pipe is no longer being used as a "booster", at least not in the .51 and up size engines.  It is set up to act more as a governor.  That is paraphrasing several good conversations.  A PA .61 will make all the power (and then a whole lot more) than is needed to fly my present PAMPA plane (660-670 sq.s at about 55oz.), but it can run in a solid, dependable, 4 stroke, and the pipe is set to keep it from speeding up when coming downhill, etc..  Now I do not know how Paul sets up his OS 40 VFs!  From experience, i do know the 40 VF has a different type run from the bigger PAs, the only other piped engines I have used.

I will be the first one to say that I do not claim to be any kind of expert, but I do know that it flies much better set up this way in wind and turbulence than it did with a piped .40, or even the PA 51.  Now, Bob Lampione won the '69 NATS with his foam wing Sabre, a somewhat smaller plane running a Fox 35 yet weighing close to the same as my .61 piped plane.  But he used a ST 46 when he built his new Sabre and he claims it flew much better. (oh yeah, I think he added an extra inch of span to each wing panel!)

There is something about this that I cannot explain easily, but more power available, as long as it doesn't mess up the balance of the plane, makes the plane fly better.  It does mean that you have to prop the plane correctly, but that is always the case, no matter what the set up is.  It is still a "balancing act" where everything must work together!

And yes, a Belchfire .91 will not make a Walker Trophy winner out of a porker, but it might make it flyable. 

I'm with Dennis, though, I would just get rid of the plane and start over instead of trying to "just make it fly good"! ;D

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2007, 04:20:35 AM »
Mark hit the nail on the head....thanks

Offline Peter Germann

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2007, 05:52:37 AM »
Dear Friends,

when discussing big motors, it might be interesting to consider one more issue; Noise.

With too wany fields having been lost, time has come for the control line community to take noise reduction really serious. Noise limits, like them or not, will be established and/or tightened. Therefore, the main reason why the F2B Workgroup has suggested to legalize bigger motors was to allow compensation of power loss due to more efficient mufflers.

Kind regards,
Peter D. Germann
FAI F2 Subcommittee Member
F2B Workgroup Coordinator
Peter Germann

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2007, 03:25:34 PM »
Gotta ad my two cents worth - one of the first things we teach a new flight student in full scale is that thrust overcomes drag and lift overcomes weight.  Does that send you somewhere in this discussion?  It matters not how much power you ad to tha cowpie, (I LOVE that analogy, Dennis!) the thing won't fly a bit better.
However, the reason I use more power with each step in the pursuit of stunt as it should be is that this ooooold guy can prop diligently to get my lap times down to the 5.6 to 5.8 and even 6.0 range and still fly the pattern with reasonable line tension.  My 61's flew/ran great!  My lap times were in the 5.5 range at best.  when I moved to the 65 my times dropped to 5.6 and if the air had vitamens in it, even 5.8's.  Now I have a 75, I plan to prop this monster to 5.8 to 6.0 range all on a 675 to 700 square planform.
Randy was telling me of a friend who is flying in that range with a 75 propped at 13.75 and whatever pitch was working for him.  I believe it because of my experience for the last five years with the other powerplants and using the very same airplanes, all with a wing loading of the 11 to 12 ounce/square foot range.
The beauty of all this is that Phil Spilman still kicked my but with a profile running a LA46 three years ago!  The hobby lives on because everyone has ideas they try and succeed with, and some are far out, some quite conventional, and some just end up burning the blamed last experiment and moving on!  I've been there, done that.  Porkers and cowpies cannot exist in the competition world!
Blessings,
Will               n1 n~
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2007, 06:39:08 PM »
To allow larger engines to overcome losses caused by mufflers is circular reasoning at best. (Larger engine needs more muffler hence more power loss, hence larger motor and so on and so on)

Actually a well designed muffler does not need to impact power and in the case of a tuned pipe / muffler can enhance power at a certain rpm and still be effective in quiieting the engine. Anone who has put together a mouse (Moose) can muffler knows this. The deal is that well designed mufflers tend to be unsightly, not necessarily heavy nor power robbing. I think when faces with a choice between a unsightly efficient and quiet muffler and one that is restrictive  but is able to be hidden away or be asthetically pleasing. I think the latter is chosen most often, so by taking cosmetics over effective design is the root cause ofr the excuse that it is to overcome power losses due to mufflers.

Mufflers are not really high on the CLPA priority list. If as much time was spent in developing quiet high performance mufflers as has gone into tuned pipes I figure a very effective solution could be found.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 03:45:17 PM »
Hi Guys,
Without going into a long technical diatribe I would simply like to point out that what I believe is missing in this discussion about bigger motors is that, properly tuned (correct port timing, compression, etc.) the bigger motor with the bigger "bang" that was mentioned earlier will produce a flatter "torque curve" or resistance to speed variation with load application.
This extra "power" (not used in a tehnical mathematical sense) could make trimming a stunter (prop selection etc.) easier to deal with to obtain a constant speed with out accelleration or decelleration with application or removal of load (like going up against gravity, or down with gravity aid).
The flatter torque curve obtainable with more displacement for a given load seems like a good tool to me, but like all things it's not free.  Extra weight and increased fuel consumption are a couple of downsides...

Randy C.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 04:30:26 PM by Randy Cuberly »
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 05:23:36 PM »
Thank you Randy, Your post said basically what I was going to try and say. It's a valid point that's, up until now, has been overlooked.

I'll add a few of my own observations based on my, some what limited experience, that I hope to soon increase.

My flying buddy Jim Rhoades has been flying a Russian Arf, Really more than an ARf, since the worlds last summer. It's powered with a Discovery Retro engine, .61 sized. The engine is designed to run slow, with lots of torque at the speed it's designed to run. A very pleasant, simple to achieve run, in the classic 4-2-4 break, but it resists windup, by design.

All my recent stunters have been Stalker powered, because of the similar, though not identical, style runs. So when Walter Hicks showed me the first look at his Stalker .81 at the Golden State stunt meet, last year, I knew I would be following his experiences with a lot of interest.

He finally posted that he was running it on the bench, and it turned a 14 X 6 at 7800 max. It looked to me that this was going to be a low speed grunter engine. I figured that it would run very similar to the Discovery Retro, so I ordered one. I haven't yet run mine, too much time out of town working, but I'm looking forward to it. I figure it'll drive my next stunter in a similar manner as a piped ship, as far as constant speed goes, without the pipe, and use a more easily available, and cheaper prop. I also figure, that since I'm not an engine guy, it'll be easier for me to get good reliable runs from this setup.

I'll never need all the horsepower that could be squeezed out of a large bore, but, won't have to worry about it because the engine isn't designed for horsepower, rather it's designed for torque.

It, if it's anything like the other engines from Stalker, should be quiet, have decent run time on a reasonable amount of FAI fuel. And haul my plane through the maneuvers without much effort.

A good, reliable, engine run is more than half the battle when it comes to stunt competition.

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2007, 06:19:08 PM »
Seems like we are discussing the different sides of the same coin. Although I believe that the motion to ever larger planes for CLPA is really the root of all this. It is said that the larger planes present better. Hmmmm. I wonder, if they really present better or allow the pilot to get away with more mistakes, that would be glaringly obvious with a smaller airplane.

But that is a different discussion. One poster did make a valid point and that is of Noise. Face it folks a bigger engine will be louder than a smaller engine (bigger bang vs a smaller one) Ever get woken up bay a unmuffled 1200 cc Harley in the middle of thenight you know what I mean. A rice burner with 4 smaller pistons with equivalent displace ment is still quieter.

Noise is already an issue and the larger engines will aggravate the problem. I remember 35 and 40 powered stunters properly muffles making not much more than a elevated humming sound flying around the circle. Compared with the elevated noise as evident even in the youtube posting of Paul walkers flight.

Right now electrics still require nearly an electrical engineering degree to be competitive and are expensive to boot, but we will all be flying them if the Noise issue goes on un addressed. The use of ever increasing internal combustion engines to justify the bigger planes to present better certainly will not help anything. One of the biggest advantages of CL used to be that you did not have to travel out to the boondocks to fly. This made it so attractive for so many inner city participants. well those days are rapidly dissapearing. If it keeps up then the only thing us inner city folk will be able to fly are $30 electric park flyers.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2007, 07:39:42 PM »
Hi Peter, it's been a while since I've seen your name to a post. Going back to the old days when you hosted your own site.

I tend to agree that we're talking two different sides of the same issue. While I can agree with your most recent post on several levels, I do believe that you might want to consider the difference between engine designs that require higher speed and depend on that speed for horsepower and torque. Running at higher speeds, the bigger bangs will indeed be harder to muffle.

The Russian designed engines, like the Discovery Retro, and the Stalkers develop their power, torque, at lower RPM's. Prop noise is the major sound being created when I'm flying. I would get the same prop noise from an electric, possibly more, if the RPM is higher with the electric. Yes, I still get more noise than an electric, considering that I am using an IC engine, but most who watch my flight, are impressed with how quiet my plane is.

Actually, size of the plane is becoming less of an issue as we march on. Most designs for PA 65's are in the 650 or so sq inch range. A .35 sized design from the Classic era, would be anywhere from 530 to 610 sq inches. A lot of the best pilots seem to be going full circle and returning to smaller designs for several reasons. Some of the reasons is that smaller planes seem to fit the pattern better, not pull your arm off, and can be built lighter.

Also, larger designs can look hurried in the pattern. There are many reasons to consider smaller planes.

You may be right about presentation between larger and smaller designs though.

I can agree that electrics may well be the future, and that isn't going to be all bad.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2007, 11:08:59 PM »
I don't much like to enter discussions of this nature because I have a certain thing that I want out of my stunt plane. I like the plane small enough to be able to get in the car easily so it don't get all beat up. and also a smaller plane flys better in the wind. It has to be the right wieght for altitude and wind conditions and no heavyer than necessary. I like it slightly overpowered so I can run less pitch on the prop when it is windy  and can slow the motor down with a higher pitch prop when it is calm and still get the same break.
  I have a sixty ship that wieghs about sixty ounces with a Big Jim Greenaway Tigre 60 in it. I had to put a 14 inch prop on it to manage the power. It will basically do the pattern at a steady fast four stroke, but in the wind I have a tiger by the tail. That 60 ounce plane becomes about 100 ouces an it rocks me almost off my feet. Now I have flown planes that were overpowered before but they were smaller an lighter and easier to trim and actually the pucker facter was a lot more relaxed. As for 91 engines-forget about it. %^ AP^

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2007, 03:19:53 AM »
Seeing the 90 fly at GSCB at the end of last summer puts a different slant on this. The 90 puttered around in a deep four-stroke, never breaking lean. Rich Oliver continued to make the point that it allowed the old oil soaked plane (still a good flying plane) to fly slow. Something like 5.8 second laps. (Maybe Rich Peabody remembers more accurately.) The plane went over in the wingover and all maneuvers for that matter at a powerful stately pace.   The pull on the lines constant, predictable, but not excessive.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2007, 06:13:00 AM »
...... and  subsequently the AMA, have allowed the engine displacement to grow to .90 (or is it .91??) that does not mean that anyone MUST use that big an engine.  There have been many who are saying that the airframes will grow to big to look good in our "hemisphere" we fly in if there is a wholesale run for the "biggest engine".

Contrary to Mr. Paul Smith's assumptions that ever thing pertains to "MONEY", it could simply be a matter as simple as doing away with the "formulas" for 4 strokes vs. 2 strokes.  .91 4 strokes were already legal when the "overall" change took place!

In the end, it hasn't appreciably changed the event at all, so far.  And I do not see a trend towards creating giant aircraft to use for CLPA.

Bill <><

Everyone doesn't need a BIG engine, only those who expect to win.    This upping the ante to .915 further (and exponentially at that! ) jacks up the cost of stunt.

A 91 won't make a loser into a winner, but when proven winners get 'em (as documented in recent mags), they will turn superiority into absolute supremacy.

Not just engine cost, but wood, covering, paint, fuel, props, and transport vehicles.  The cost of stunt just went up, that means WAY up.

ps: Don't think about stepping down to P40, now it's P91.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 06:13:23 PM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2007, 07:09:37 AM »
OK I'm Back;

Nope I haven't read the article yet but I don't need it to comment on the last reply. No everyone dosen't need a big engine, and at the same time NO you don't need it to be competitive. You put a smaller plane with a smaller engine in the hands of a capable flier and he is just as competitive as anyone. He has just as much chance of winning.

I don't believe and certainly don't agree that the person who is using the big engine is doing so only because he has money to throw away. He is doing it for other reasons(I need the article to comment further here)?

As for the rules and ruling bodies that allow these engines, thats another topic not to be discussed here.

I have followed this thread very closely because the idea of using these large power plants intrigues me. I will continue to follow it very closely. The article has been promised to me very shortly, it seems I was lost on the mailing list. No biggie I shall return armed to the teeth. Until then have fun and keep your back to the wind.

"Billy G"   ;D
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2007, 09:55:35 AM »
Everyone doesn't need a BIG engine, only those who expect to win.    This upping the ante to .915 further (and exponentially at that! ) jacks up the cost od stunt.

A 91 won't make a loser into a winner, but when proven winners get 'em (as documented in recent mags), they will turn superiority into absolute supremacy.

Not just engine cost, but wood, covering, paint, fuel, props, and transport vehicles.  The cost of stunt just went up, that means WAY up.

ps: Don't think about stepping down to P40, now it's P91.

I'm so sorry, Paul, but your logic just doesn't add up to me.  The airplanes are NOT bigger, so the cost of dope , wood, etc., has not really grown (except for inflation's effects on the prices) in the last 25 plus years, maybe longer!  Billy Werwage won the 1970 World Championships with a 700 sq. in. airplane, the USA-1.  Super Tiger 60s have been churning out patterns in Patternmaster size airplanes (they are huge!) for over 25 years!  Paul Walker is still winning with a OS 40 VF in a large plane.  The Impact is 700 sq. in., IIRC.  Bob Baron won the Walker Trophy with a ST 60 in a Patternmaster when the pipe engine set ups had taken hold of the event back in 1996.

So the airframe size is not affected.  Windy is testing his engines in a Strega, a Patternmaster derivative.  No increase in airframe size there, either. 

"Proven Winners" are *proven* because they spend the time and effort to dominate along with their level of skill, which surpasses many of the rest of us!  An increase in the size of our engines does not drive the cost of winning up beyond what it already is more than about $100 total per plane, if that. 

As to "Profile" 40, we never have had *that* event in the 15 years I have been competing locally.  It has ALWAYS been an "open engine" event around here.  This in no way impacted the amount of money necessary to win at our meets in the "Profile class".  I know, I have participated in it.  The field is usually a bunch of Brodak Warbirds, a Limitation (Dale Barry design) or two, maybe a Path Finder and Cardinal ARFs, the ocassional "original", and some TEOSAWKIs.  A LOT of 35-40 size engines (Foxes, FPs), some LA 46s, ocassionally a ST 51, but nothing really "expensive".  Tom Morris DID fly a RoJett 40 BS a time or two, but he had the engine, and he didn't win.

You cannot buy wins in CLPA, I know that, and it can be offensive to infer otherwise.  New technology is always coming around.  If it is better it gets used, if not, it doesn't last.  A bigger displacement limit will not mean that 8 foot wingspan airplanes with 1200 sq. in. will fill the skys at contests.  I believe you will see that the same size airplanes (as David Fitzgerald has done) will just be fitted, in some cases, with larger engines.  Our present rules as to line length do not favor bigger planes.  If so, then everyone would be flying Windy's Sweeper (a design that has been flown for over 30 years!).

Bill Little <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2007, 11:36:32 AM »
A Saito 91 weighs in at about 1.2 lbs, from the bottom of the engine bearer it is 3.8 inches high. So it does not take a math wiz to figure out that plenty of weight (or tail length) will be required to bring the CG into range. And you need to have around 4.25 inch fuse depth to hide the engine to get that front row plane.

Now I do not know about you but those numbers start suggesting a rather large airframe to haul that engine around. I would offer Rabes new plane that everyone here seems to go Ga Ga over. Consider that the engine is completely enclosed in the cowling. That means the inner diameter of the cowl has to be at minimum 8 inches in diameter and even larger outer diameter. That is the size of a personal pizza at pizza hut. That needless to say makes AL's plane Big. Big enough to either require a take apart design (complicated) or a SUV to haul around. Now I do not know what the gas prices are in your neck of the woods but round here it is up at $2.92 a gallon. So having to own or buy a SUV just to get your airplane from point A to point B gets very expensive.

My second point has it's roots in "Psychology of a stunt pilot" thread. How long is it before the top fliers start using big motors in big airplanes and the time when judges start being conditioned and expect winning formulas to include only large engines n large airplanes. As these Big airplanes present so much more differently in the circle when compared to your 35, 40 powered plane how can it be even remotely be expected of a judge to be able to accurately score say a small airplane after seeing 5 or 6 large designs fly back to back. The presentation will be different enough to make the flight of the smaller aircraft look wrong.

Add to that the other rather unique American belief that bigger is better. This has deep psychological roots to all sorts of man made objects (Cars, Motorcycles, Aircraft, Swimming Pools, Houses, you name it). No sooner that reliable engines started to be made the CLPA guys that had the money started upping the size of these airplanes. Many moved to RC where you had to have pretty deep pockets to participate so the plane size explosion started there first.

Back in the day before the SUV even those who had deep pockets had two choices to get their plane from point A to point B. Station Wagon, Van. Now one thing Americans value more than anyting is their choice in cars. To participate in RC with Big planes you had to decide what kind of car you would have to buy. Station wagons were not cool, Vans even less so. So in a way that helped keep the size of the planes down except for the occasional person who did not care what car they drove over the ability to bring a really huge RC plane to the Field.

And since cost was a factor most CL guys had more planes VS really big planes also they were more likely to be tradesmen so they already had Vans or Station wagons and they would load them up with a half dozen planes or more to haul to the Field. Then along came the SUV and the mass media played on the American belief that bigger is better and sold a ton of them, each model bigger than the next. At one point one out of every four car sales was an SUV. All of a sudden you had a car big enough to get your Big stunters to the Field and still arrive in masculine style.Big plane, Big Car, the male ego out in full parade. The appearance of Giant Scale, Larger 3D RC planes directly coincided with the increasing popularity and proliferation of the SUV. You did not have to put up with the embarrassment of showing up at the Field in a old Station Wagon (long since unpopular that they are scarcely made) or Yikes! even more wussy a Mini Van.

No you do not need a big plane with a big motor, but the price to get to the top levels of CLPA has risen enormously, it can not be denied. No it is not on par with the cost of entry to be in the top 5 at say NASCAR or other motor sport, but to be competitive at the top levels of CLPA has become not unlike those other motorsports except in on way you do not get sponsor money. The cost to the individual in time, equipment, and travel makes it waaaay to expensive for most participants in CLPA. So at those levels you had better be able to keep up dollar for dollar with the other guys or don't even bother. Is it a wonder why there is such a resistance to change in this activity? One just has to consider $60.00 propellers $400 engines etc. So it is not surprising one bit when in other threads people suggest making a masters class or Pro's class etc just for the fliers who want to participate in that end of the activity. Or start making displacement classes in CLPA. You know 29-40, 45-60 61-75 Unlimited of course this like just about every like wise suggestion has always been shot down, (Interestingly usually by the same people every time) So I am not suggesting it just using it to highlight a point.

I close my argument with the following observation, In a post above it is mentioned that these monster motors are being used in Pattern Master, SV 11 and similar airplanes. Just think about that comment. Those are already belong to the larger group of CLPA models. The Pattern Master can not be considered compact. And it is just going up from there. These days the pattern master is at the smaller size end in CLPA competition and is even being quoted as being the norm. That type of psychology is what will ever prevent anyone who competes with the big boys incapable of winning at the highest levels no matter how well they perform. Without the 91 sized plane and subsequent monetary investment he does not stand a chance.

Is this why some say they have been stuck in advanced for years? I wonder, is it really that their skills are not good enough or is it that they can not afford the cost of moving up?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Peter,

I have a hard time following the point of all this, but that's nothing new.  The "Big" planes you refer to have been the norm for a while now.  And for over 30 years.  And the PM is not among the "smaller" planes being used now, unless I am living on a planet where there is an alternate NATS at.  What airplane design is in wide spread use that is bigger than a PM?  The Trivial Pursuit (Dave Fitzgerald, and Ted Fancher) is in the 660-670 range, IIRC.  Brett's Infinity is somewhere between there and the Impact, The Impact is the largest of that crowd at close to 700 sq. in., but still not as "big" as a PM.  Randy Smith's SV series are all under 700 sq. in., plus there is a "40 size" series of SV designs being built.  Billy's P-47 is close to 700 sq. in.  HAving held Billy's Razorback, I cannot say it has the bulk of a PM.  So just where are all the huge planes that are flying in CLPA now?  Al's planes are few and far between, although fantastic they are the exception, not the norm.

On the local and National level, I have not seen much difference in Advanced aircraft and Expert aircraft.  Same, same as far as planes used!

Maybe a Saito .91 is a great big old engine, but all the "BIG" engines I see referrenced are of the Ro-Jett, PA genre.  These are only modestly larger than their .61-.65 counterparts for the reason of being interchangeable with little effort.  And cost only a *touch* more, maybe $40 more new over their .61-.65 brethern?

The fear of the sky falling is greatly overdone.  If it were so, then the "Proven Winners" would have already put this into action.  The engines have been available for plenty long enough already that these great big airframes that some are alluding to should already have filled the pits at the NATS and local events.

I understand your analogy with the 4 strokes, and their size, but those engines do not seem to be the choice of the "Big Guns".  In fact even Paul abandoned them as far as I can tell.  The Europeans are a different story, and do not concern me at this time.  Even with their usage of 4 strokes, Remi used a Saito 56 to win the WC.   Again, Al's usage is the exception.

Unfortunately, a Fox 35 or LA 46 is not going to win the NATS in Open anytime, unless the rules are greatly changed.  That is a simple fact.  And yes the "bandwagon" effect is very real in CLPA, but the "bandwagon" hasn't grown greatly in size, yet, and doesn't appear that it will.  Too many of the top flyers intimate that the plane size is as large as seems practical already.  AND, several will tell you that they would like to be able to cut the size some of the planes they do use.

The "Up" side of a bigger engine in a given size plane is obvious, if all else is equal.  That is what will drive the usage of bigger engines.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2007, 01:52:39 PM »
I've got big engines and small engines.  Right now, my interest is in applying the overpowered principal to more modest size planes.  In other words, what happens when you put a light 40 with good power to weight(PA 40 Ultra lite, or a Brodak 40) into a smaller plane.  Applying some of Al Rabe's principles and it looks like a 400-450 sq.in. plane, weighing in the 35-40 oz. range, might work quite well.  It will have a similar power to weight of a 90 powered 65-75 oz. plane, similar wing loading so it should handle wind about the same.  The only thing I can see is it may require a bit more span to keep down the drag in maneuvers.
phil Cartier

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2007, 06:22:03 PM »
I'm so sorry, Paul, but your logic just doesn't add up to me.  The airplanes are NOT bigger, so the cost of dope , wood, etc., has not really grown (except for inflation's effects on the prices) in the last 25 plus years, maybe longer!  Billy Werwage won the 1970 World Championships with a 700 sq. in. airplane, the USA-1.  Super Tiger 60s have been churning out patterns in Patternmaster size airplanes (they are huge!) for over 25 years!  Paul Walker is still winning with Bill Little <><

I did not say anything about the UNIT PRICES of these things.  The issue is the VOLUME consumed.

I started building a 60-sized Magnum stunter, and it's quite obvious that it's going to cost more than twice the cost of a typical 35-40 size airplane.   If I go ahead and finish it, it'll still be a "1/2A" compared to the 91-powered behemoths that are impending. 

On the plus side, they'll give the electrics a well-deserved thumping.
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2007, 07:46:12 PM »
I did not say anything about the UNIT PRICES of these things.  The issue is the VOLUME consumed.

I started building a 60-sized Magnum stunter, and it's quite obvious that it's going to cost more than twice the cost of a typical 35-40 size airplane.   If I go ahead and finish it, it'll still be a "1/2A" compared to the 91-powered behemoths that are impending. 

On the plus side, they'll give the electrics a well-deserved thumping.

**) **) **)

My bad.  I thought we were seriously discussing the cost of building a modern PAMPA plane!

**) **) **)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2007, 11:07:11 AM »
I think the cost of building a 91 size ship is not a factor as far as a compeditor is concerned. It is also true that it takes more than just an airplane to win a contest. It is sort of like the Olympic biycycle they made one year fo the Olympics. They cost 30,000 apiece but they did not win. It still takes the skill or in this case the rider to win. I think the idea of running a motor of this size is a very alluring concept and one i agree with but only if you want to try it. I remember the first time I built a 50 size plane I thought it was huge and it was the same concept that this 91 thing was about and I could fly this plane at a slower RPM rate and it was great. But it still dont make you a winner. I think this is what we are basically talking about here!

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2007, 07:28:25 PM »
Bigger engines are NOT easier to run, IMHO.  This is especially true of the 2 cycle engines.

"With great power comes great responsibility"

In other words, you only need so much HP to fly an airplane of a given weight and drag , the rest is just reserve, the more reserve the more trouble you can get into.

The 4 strokes take to being "choked down" better than a 2 cycle, also.  A 2 cycle is a very heat critical animal.  Choke down a big 2 cycle motor, it has trouble staying lit.  This forces the need to run bigger props, which creates more GP, blah blah blah...  Unless the bigger engine is just gutless, then the added displacement does nothing.

On the bigger 4 cycles it was possible to venturi down the engine and get a smaller engine "like" response.  It did not find this to be true on the larger 2 cycle engines.  So much is put into the "SOUND" of a 4-2 run....

All this being said, I really look forward to someone proving me wrong!!!  I think the increased engine displacement rule is GREAT!!!
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here