Engine basics > Engine set up tips

4 Stroke Engine Weight

(1/2) > >>

Bob Zambelli:
I get a lot of queries as to 4 Stroke Engine weight. I weighed some of mine last night and you can draw your own conclusions.

I should also add that, for what it’s worth, I believe that this whole ultra-light engine stuff is really not that critical.

Unless noted, all engine weights include factory muffler.

From light to lard, in ounces:

SAITO .30               9.4
SAITO .40               10.8
SAITO .30 open rocker, no muffler*      12.4
ENYA .35 open rocker, no muffler*      12.8
Surpass .40            12.9
ENYA .40 open rocker, no muffler*      13.1
SAITO FA-45, no muffler*         14.6
ENYA .53               15.4
SAITO .56               15.6
ENYA .90               28.3  **)

From a standpoint of raw power for their size, the two that seem to have the most are the ENYA .53 and the Surpass .40.      

I have quite a few more to weigh and will do so in the near future.

As I recall, the SAITO .80 that I splattered on the Red Baron was about 18 ounces – I wasn’t too impressed with it. n~

* as far as I know, these were never offered with mufflers.

Hope this helps,

Bob Z.

Leester:
Bob: Since you have both the FA-40 and 45, is the back plate, carb and intake the same? I was wondering if the Venturi kit UHP has for the Saito 40 would bolt right in on the FA-45.   Thanks.  I was told by Horizon the 45's carb etc was the same as a 56  NOT. Also My parts bag for the 45 listed a muffler but there was none included as you stated.

Bob Zambelli:
Hi, Lee - the .40 that I have on my weight list is the 40A, not the FA-40. They are totally different, the 40A being very small and light. It is a brand new design.

The FA-40 is a nice engine but power to weight was an issue. That's why they went to the FA-45.  A little more displacement made a lot of different.

I had an FA-40 but gave it away - I still have the  FA-45. As far as I know, virtually all the parts are interchangeable.

I recently made another post giving some info on the FA engines.

Bob Z.

ps - check out my reply #7 in "Speaking of Four Strokes"

Ron Merrill:
 ;DBob, i just weighted my 40A's, both have UHP NVA's and were broken in by Windy. They weigh 10.6 oz. and 10.7 oz.  The 10.7 had the carb. on it at the time. Nice weight don't you think?  My ST .51 weighs 11.4 oz. without muffler. Ron.

Bob Zambelli:
Hi, Ron - yep, really nice weight.
As you saw, I weighed my 40A at 10.8 ounces - close enough for cheap scale accuracy.

Bob Z.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version