News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:12:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3D Filaments for Engines  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
3D Filaments for Engines
« on: August 07, 2021, 01:26:56 PM »
What filament would be best for engine mount shims, if any?  I could use metal, of course, but wonder if engine heat would melt the more heat-resistant filaments. The engine in question is a Brodak 40, which does not sit at the right height in my Vector.

Thoughts?

thanks,

Peter

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 3D Filaments for Engines
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 02:23:11 PM »
What filament would be best for engine mount shims, if any?  I could use metal, of course, but wonder if engine heat would melt the more heat-resistant filaments. The engine in question is a Brodak 40, which does not sit at the right height in my Vector.

Thoughts?

thanks,

Peter

I think that it's worth a try. The bottom of the crank case doesn't get that hot while the engine is running and most of the heat you would feel after a flight is heat soaking down from the upper part of the cylinder. You should be able to make them with the correct hole locations, or even just a dimple at the correct location so you can drill the holes size you need or want. Let me know how the work of i can test some for you on a profile model
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 03:04:13 PM »
Peter
if you can get some the thickness youneed, phenolic (spelling) will work nicely.

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 04:17:07 PM »
Personally I think I'd want something stronger than a thermoplastic (meltable) filament.

And I love using phenolic, so +1 to Carl's suggestion!  It's almost as chemically resistant as CF-epoxy, much more workable, and plenty strong enough for an engine shim.

If I wanted something 3D printed, I'd get it printed in resin.  There's a ton of places that'll do that for the right amount of $$.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 05:34:54 PM »
ABS should suffice. Mind you, I haven’t tried it.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 08:51:27 AM »
First concern would be stiffness. All plastics are generally fairly compliant. I'd use aluminum myself but that just me. Carbon fiber would be good as well as Garolite (phenolic). I've been making some 3D parts with carbon fiber impregnated nylon Nylon X which would do the job but it's pricey as material isn't cheap and you need hardened nozzles to use it. With all of the above options in my shop, it would depend on my mood which one I would choose but more than likely it would be a aluminum.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 09:18:57 AM »

"Filament?"

"Material."

ABS will work, various thicknesses and easy to cut/drill. Layer pieces up for fine adjustment.

I've used ABS behind R/C motor mounts to add offset.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 08:09:28 PM »
Aluminum or phenolic. These parts are simple enough that they can be made with a hacksaw and a drill in 20 minutes. Leave 3D printing for something more complex.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 08:34:16 PM »
   SIG offered an engine support, primarily targeted to profiles I would guess, and it was some sort of black plastic and shaped like a squarish "C". I've used them and never noticed them compressing or changing in any way. This was at a time when SIG did almost all of their own plastic molding, so it was probably the same plastic (black) as their 4" bell crank. Top Flite used to make a similar product but smaller and intended to be used as one under each side. I have some of those also. Sterling , I think, used to make some plastic wedge supports the same way and were in varying degrees of angle to set engine offset for a profile. These were white nylon, it looked like, and while they worked OK, they were too thin and flimsy  and would distort if they were not on a solid, smooth surface. Given that, though, engine heat didn't seem to affect them. If I were to try to 3D print something it would be similar to the SIG offering with about a 1 degree offset angle and make them in specific widths for specific brands of engines.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 01:10:28 AM »
Brodak also carried 'Thrust Wedges' with an assortment of varying degrees offset for profile applications.
STAY SAFE & "Tight Lines!"
Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2021, 04:29:41 PM »
Dan,
They were made from a plastic called Ryonite (sp) glass reinforced injectable plastic that worked very well and had
plenty of strength.  I don’t remember who made it but it wasn’t hard to find so we ordered a few bags, we made a number of injection model parts from it, including motor mounts, 4” bell-cranks, thrust wedges, and control horns.  What was cool when they were dropped on the floor they would almost ring like metal parts would.

Later,
Mike Pratt

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2021, 06:28:24 PM »
Rynite is a high temp, high stiffness Dupont product.

https://www.dupont.com/products/rynite.html
MAAC 8177

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 10:18:23 PM »
While I cannot comment on your exact engine, PETG would be what I would use. I have made 1/2a TD engine mounts and it appears to hold up well. I also have made up and used PLA for 1/2a engine spacers as well, but these are for a plastic backplate.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here