News:

• May 13, 2024, 12:40:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 36X Needle Roller Size  (Read 664 times)

Offline Timothy Payne

• Mr Payne
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
  • Classic Racer
36X Needle Roller Size
« on: September 20, 2013, 09:53:18 AM »
Here's one for yer!

Upon sourcing some hex bolts from modelfixings.co.UK over here in England, I discovered they also do engine bearings too.

Without me having to go through the unnecessary procedure of stripping my trusty 29X, does anybody familiar with these motors know the internal and external diameters of these old Torrington bearings?

It'd also be good to know also whether the crankshafts are identical on the 36X. - I'm assuming they are as the stroke is the same.

This knowledge would be handy to have for future reference as I intend to run these engines in turn for some time.

A long shot I know!

Tim

Offline Bob Matiska

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
Re: 36X Needle Roller Size
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 05:15:25 PM »
Tim,

The Fox 29x and 35x engines had the same stroke, .700 inch. The 35X had a displacement of .352 cubic inch. Duke stroked the engine slightly, to .715 inch, taking it up to .359 cubic inch, making it a 36x and taking it  close to the combat limit of .36. The crank from a 29x would surely go in a 36x, making it a 35x. Putting a 36x crank in the 29x might reduce the clearance between the piston and the head to a dangerously close level and thus would call for that clearance to be checked. Another head gasket (or a thicker one) would correct the situation.

The inner diameter of the needle bearing is presumably half an inch, the same as the outer diameter of the crank. But I've never seen anything on these, or other, message boards about anyone successfully removing that bearing. I don't think it's the same as removing a ball bearing, e.i., heating the case and tapping it on a wooden block. Hopefully we will never have to deal with the issue!

Bob
AMA 56267

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 07:47:24 PM »
  Last time I checked, Fox mfg had those bearings in stock and would sell them, or install them in your old case.  If they are out, I have some new ones if you have the means to install them.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Timothy Payne

• Mr Payne
  • Lieutenant
  • Classic Racer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
Cheers guys,

I recently fabricated a 32thou gasket (see pics) for the 29X as the original was leaking. This thicker gasket has lowered the compression slightly, thus detuning the engine a little (I also used a thicker paper gasket for the backplate as it was fouling the crankpin!).

I've found a supplier for UNC bolts and bearings in modelfixings.co.uk, but as for now all the needle rollers are fine.

Ironically when I initially bought the 29X, it was seized solid bearing and all. - After it's last rebuild however, the bearing had freed up although the crankshaft now has a nice polished part where the seized bearing was!

Tim

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here