News:

• May 13, 2024, 08:01:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3 Engines I am going to try, ASP MECOA and Magnum XL  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Allen Burnham

• Will it go round in circles?
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
    • Skyliners Control Line of Southern Indiana
3 Engines I am going to try, ASP MECOA and Magnum XL
« on: August 19, 2009, 08:51:40 PM »
I picked up 3 engines last year (CHEAP) and I had some questions and I am looking for some comments. I plan on using Sig Champion 10% with half synthetic and half castor in these engines.
I took these to Byron Barker at C.F. Slattery for the "treatment".  The Magnum got the thumbs up, but the other two were questionable. It is GREAT to be a short drive from a good hop up shop!

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

I have the Magnum 28 XL ready to go with a new venturi and an ST needle assembly. My son claimed this on to go on his hand-me-down ME109 from Midwest. This should be a good combo.

Has anyone used the MECOA or the ASP for C/L? I am hoping these would be good for the 19-35 sized planes. Byron can make the venturis and stick in the ST needles with no trouble.

The MECOA 28 appears to be nearly new.

The ASP 25 looks great but it has very low compression. Anyone know where I can get a piston and liner or is this my new paper weight/conversation starter at the office?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 11:44:46 AM by Allen Burnham »
Allen
AMA 6735
Skyliners C/L Club of Southern Indiana

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: 3 Engines
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 11:06:05 AM »
I think the ASP is one of the many asian OS clones, likely done by the same factory that does Magnmum.  OS FX or magnum pro or TT pro might work.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
Re: 3 Engines I am going to try, ASP MECOA and Magnum XL
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 03:08:34 PM »
Hi, Allen,
   Can't help with the others, but the ASP engines are carried in England by Just Engines. Very nice, helpful folks. Google the name, and check out their website. They stock full parts listing of all ASP engines, and can help you with a piston/liner.
ama 72090

Offline Willie Johnson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 08:20:05 AM »
Later Magnums and ASP's are the same.  Same factory.  Same parts.  I think Mecoa are Leo's.  All have been used for CL.
Willie Johnson
AMA 774461

Offline phil myers

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 01:25:34 PM »
Allen, Just Engines in the UK supply and service ASP and Magnum engines. check out
http://www.justengines.co.uk     they're very helpful and send out very quick..
Phil

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 02:26:46 PM »
Hi Allen

I haven't tried the .25 size but have several ASP .32s.  Seem to be excellent running engines, I prefer them to my Fox .35s for power and easy starting.   Have one on a 48" Magician and it is a blast to fly.  Also, very fuel effecient.

Dalton H.
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 08:54:03 AM »
I use a mecoa 28 as a combat engine.  works well.  Easy to start.  Hard to get parts.
Dave
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 10:19:40 PM »
I'd email the service dept. (Global Hobbies) at Hobby People, and see if they'll service your ASP .25, or ask if there is any reason the Magnum parts shouldn't fit. It appears identical to the Magnum XL .25, and it's a known fact that they are made by the same factory in China. The Global/Hobby People service folks seem to be very helpful, tho I only had one encounter...with a Magnum power panel that got very hot and squeeled like a piggy.  OTOH, the price of a piston/cylinder set will easily cost $40 with shipping, and you probably don't have that much into that engine. Save it for parts, or give it to somebody that owns an electric starter!

I talked (or emailed?) with Randy Linsilato (RJL) about the MECOA .28, because I bought two. They were advertised to be ABC, but were in fact ABN, and I wasn't too pleased with that (deceptive advertising?). Randy said that the first batch was nickle plated because they couldn't get the chrome done in time to meet the schedule. In Taiwan. So they're made by Thunder Tiger? No, they're not made by Thunder Tiger. That tells me that they're made by the folks that made the late & great Tower .40's (later Tower engines are made in China), a company that made sewing machines, I believe. At one time, I had a link to their website, and it showed a lot of parts they'd made for all sorts of stuff...including a T.40 case, as I recall.  Anyway, the MECOA should be a pretty good engine...it would be interesting to know if it's ABC or ABN. Look in the exhaust...if you see "gold", it's ABC. If it looks about like steel, then it's ABN.   D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here