News:

• May 06, 2024, 01:05:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tune pipe  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Larry Wong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tune pipe
« on: October 14, 2020, 07:57:16 AM »
Does the rubber stinger have any effect on the tuning of pipe?
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
Re: Tune pipe
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 08:11:02 AM »
  If you use a stinger with a smaller ID it will increase back pressure , restrict exhaust. Depends what you desire as to whether or not it's best for your engine. It might not be enough to even notice.. .
        One way to find out,  John L.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 08:25:27 AM »
Does the rubber stinger have any effect on the tuning of pipe?

It doesn't affect the tuned resonance. As John notes, it does effect the flow rate, and, depending on the engine and the size of the stinger and pipe, may affect the way it runs overall. We ran the 40/46VF with tiny stingers, and it didn't seem to make much differences. The RO-Jett 61 BSE needs the biggest exhaust outlet and stinger you can get - I use the largest Hattori stinger, and even a slight restriction kills the responsiveness.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 10:02:02 AM »
The exhaust gases will eventually burn a hole in a plain silicone sleeve, and the resonance at least doesn't make situation better.
So, when doing adjustment we used to fill the gaps with short lenghts of header tubing.
So in my opinion it's better to play safe. It's not nice to find a hole in middle of a contest.

I think he is talking about the rubber angle at the exhaust end, called (here, anyway) the "stinger". Those do not melt.

I have also been using silicone couplers, and while they get pretty crusty on the inside after a while, I have never had one melt or otherwise fail causing a leak. Even the really big type, which was intended as an outlet tube for chainsaw engines, not a coupler.   One difference is that we also are perfectly OK running 7-8-9 ounces of fuel through it, instead of 3-4 for the same power, so we are definitely burning it at lower temperatures than you do.

Brett

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 12:50:13 PM »
Which one should I use  top 3/4” inlet twin exit or 5/8” smaller one ? Note the baffles are different
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 06:27:53 PM »
Larry and I both have new RoJett BSE 61s to go into Thundergazer-ish models. Is the Hattori an aluminum pipe, or is Brett referring literally to just the end of the tailpipe, where the grey rubber deflector normally goes? And, is the Hattori pipe (if that is what Brett is referring to) available these days? Are they made by Hattori Hanzo of "Kill Bill" fame? Failing a Hanzo pipe, what would those in the know suggest in a CF pipe from Randy Smith or Brian Eather or any other maker, as to overall length, baffle placement, and other critical features? Thanks in advance.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 08:02:02 PM »
Larry and I both have new RoJett BSE 61s to go into Thundergazer-ish models. Is the Hattori an aluminum pipe, or is Brett referring literally to just the end of the tailpipe, where the grey rubber deflector normally goes? And, is the Hattori pipe (if that is what Brett is referring to) available these days? Are they made by Hattori Hanzo of "Kill Bill" fame? Failing a Hanzo pipe, what would those in the know suggest in a CF pipe from Randy Smith or Brian Eather or any other maker, as to overall length, baffle placement, and other critical features? Thanks in advance.

I was assuming that Larry meant the rubber exhaust deflector. As far as which pipe to use, the ones I have are long since out-of-production, although Randy says he has an equivalent product (that is slightly too big around to fit in my airplane). Either that, or ask Dennis Nunes which one he has - seems to work pretty good. You can try it on your current 40/46VF-sized pipes, but I would expect it to have a significant effect on the power.

Brett

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 10:57:40 PM »
Hi Mike,

For my RO-Jett BSE 61 setup I'm using a Rich Oliver pipe that was purchased through Dub Jett. Attach is a PDF with some pictures of this setup. Also included is pictures of the Randy Smith "Slimline" pipe that I haven't used.

BTW, I will be at the Napa flying site tomorrow (Thursday) morning. If you would like to try this pipe, come by site if you can and pick it up. If not, we can make other arrangements to get it to you. Just let me know.

Dennis

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 12:33:45 AM »
  Several decades ago my neighbor was an AMA GP  racer he rode Yamaha 250 , 350 twin cylinder 2 smokes. I don't remember his name but he knew all the guys ,, he would tell me about tuning & using the expansion chambers , etc why I mention  this is he found when you make the stinger longer  the rpms  increase,,, have no idea if it applies here.
            John L.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 10:41:43 AM »
Well, think of the stinger as one acoustic element that has a certain volume. Acoustics is all about volume.
By varying the volume (lenght) you can tune it (like a minipipe) to have either positive or negative backpressure, or to be neutral. Whatever suits you the best.
So it doesn't mean that longer is allways better, you've got to optimize it.
But if you want to test things, I'd recommend something stiffer than silicone hose. L

Generally he idea is to either getting more boost by the reflecting cone larger by having a smaller outlet, or more flow and less boost with a bigger outlet which makes the reflecting cone surface area smaller.

The practical length for stingers probably puts it at far too high a frequency for any useful additional boost. And, you *don't need more boost" if the intent was to (selectively) kill power in the first place.

Brett

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 05:33:34 PM »
  I found it interesting the way this guy explained 2smoke tuning to me. Really doubt much of what he told me applies to our stuff.
  John L.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 10:33:38 AM »
  I found it interesting the way this guy explained 2smoke tuning to me. Really doubt much of what he told me applies to our stuff.
  John L.

It's a different problem. The "rules of thumb" generally won't work, but the principles are the same, just used in a different way. But even "The Two-Stroke Tuner's Handbook" discussed the use of a tuned pipe as a rev-limiter.

Brett

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 11:17:23 AM »
Brett,    I remember seeing that book years ago   never picked one up.   I see the price is printed $5.00 today it's $ 170.00 at  Amazon. However I Googled it & it's free on the web,,,,
   John L.

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 08:40:42 PM »
Larry, Brett, Mike, Dennis, et. al,

We should just have a tuned pipe session at Napa or Alameda in a few weeks! I've got my 46vf running pretty good in the garage, just haven't had the chance to put it in the air yet and see what goes wrong.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here